IGNORED

Replacement grips for R1150RT with heated grips

RiP

I need to replace the rubber grip (clutch side) on my 2002 R1150RT. I ordered a OEM replacement but it is a) too long (130mm) and b) the wrong pattern on it.

Since I have heated grips I am wondering if aftermarket grips will work? What are kinds of grips are you replacing with? I think I can use grips that are 120mm and fit a 7/8" bar. My thinking is that using gel grips would be a mistake due to the handgrip heater. What about any other dual compound grips?

Hints and tips on removing old grips and installing new ones would also be appreciated.

I guess I had better get used to wearing out things on "Big Blue", since I plan to keep for some time.

Thanks to any and all responses. wave.gif

If your concern is the heat making it through, it will. Abet a bit slower. I've used foam grip overlays on BMW heated grips with no heating issues.

I have wondered for some time if the rubber grip itself was replaceable without removing or disturbing the heating elements. I would love to have a different grip on my '04 RT. Any input is appreciated.

Jerry Johnston

Purchase a set of foam grips for a Harley and remove the foam. Some just used soapy water to slip them on - I used a compressor to blow them out like a baloon and slip them on.

I've had foam grips on my bike since 97 and haven't had problem and still have the same foam tubes over my grips.

I worried about the heating element getting too hot and burning out but that hasn't happened either.

Yes the grip is replaceable separately from the heating element under it. Slit the rubber grip carefully and not all the way through to remove the old grip.

2wheelterry

If you want a foam grip with more diameter one option is to put Grip Puppies, here, on top of the stock grips. The only issue I have had is that it holds the heat. I am on my second adjustment of my Throttlemeister, and it still grabs when on high heat.

Archived