IGNORED

2002 R-1150RT

twins4life

I'm looking at a 2002 R-1150RT. The selling dealer stated that the 'surging' problem was fixed in 2001. Not an issue with the 02 and newer. He also stated that in five years he had never seen an RT with the rear drive bearing failure syndrome, that prob was limited to K bikes.

I believe 0% of anything a salesman says.

Any comments?

Thanks!

I'm looking at a 2002 R-1150RT. The selling dealer stated that the 'surging' problem was fixed in 2001. Not an issue with the 02 and newer. He also stated that in five years he had never seen an RT with the rear drive bearing failure syndrome, that prob was limited to K bikes.

I believe 0% of anything a salesman says.

Any comments?

Thanks!

Your salesman is an ass. Any single-spark oilhead can surge, and any single-spark oilhead can be made to NOT surge with proper adjustment. As for final drive failures, well... sounds like your salesman hasn't seen many bikes, period.

Well thats not surprising for Lone Star BMW in Austin. They have tried to overcharge me, sell un-need service and lied that BMW wont allow warranty repairs until after the DEALER performs scheduled service. They have proven themselves over and over to be a bunch of liars

I knew better than to waste time with them. Thanks.

No sweat.

I just finished dialing the surge out of my "new" '02 RTP, and with 60K on the clock there's a touch of wiggle in the final drive with the replacement bearings on national backorder - at last count, 72 rear mains were awaiting fulfillment from the Fatherland.

If you salesman rolls his eyes at that, have him call me. Better yet, have his boss call me.

He's a liar! My '02 surged like a bronco till I had a Techlusion R259 installed(see my post from Sat.). Now it runs like a dream.

My opinion? Don't shy away from an "02,or any other year,but DON'T buy from that liar.

Happy hunting. thumbsup.gif

Moral:

Dont buy from Lone Star BMW in Austin, TX The really sad thing is he was the owner or manager there. No wonder the place sucks so bad.

I've got a line on an 02 in a nearby state. Tell me more about your Techlusion 259.

Opinion (and this is not to piss off you Techlusion and Power Commander believers out there): The Techlusion is an aftermarket solution to a problem that - in 100% of the oilheads I've approached - is entirely "solveable" by a careful and precise approach to tuning your valves and injection system.

Opinion (and this is not to piss off you Techlusion and Power Commander believers out there): The Techlusion is an aftermarket solution to a problem that - in 100% of the oilheads I've approached - is entirely "solvable" by a careful and precise approach to tuning your valves and injection system.
I won't say 100%, but your point is correct. You can always hide the issue by throwing more fuel at it (which is what they do), but the underlying cause is not being corrected.
Opinion (and this is not to piss off you Techlusion and Power Commander believers out there): The Techlusion is an aftermarket solution to a problem that - in 100% of the oilheads I've approached - is entirely "solvable" by a careful and precise approach to tuning your valves and injection system.
I won't say 100%, but your point is correct. You can always hide the issue by throwing more fuel at it (which is what they do), but the underlying cause is not being corrected.

My 02 RT had a Techlusion installed when I got it and ran just fine. However, after talking to Ken H. and getting his techniques for a GOOD TB synch and spending a LONG time over a weekend doing a good valve tappet set and good, read "accurate", TB synch, my RT now runs surge free without the Techlusion hooked up.

I'm not throwing off on the Techlusion, it's a fine device, and has certainly saved a lot of frustration with oilhead owners. But I agree with Ken, and if you take the time to do a very accurate setup, your oilhead should be able to be surgeless. I know that 100% of them won't be compliant, but a good, careful, patient service is worth the time spent. If that doesn't work, then throw the fuel to 'er.

Archived