IGNORED

ABS Brakes

GabeM

Just a thought.

Hearing of riders in a situation in which a crash maybe inevitable they end up laying down their bike. I myself have never laid down a street bike but I would imagine that you would have to lock up your back brake and as the bike skids to one side you could let the bike drop in this position. You could at this point either stay with the bike or push yourself away.

With ABS brakes would it not be impossible to accomplish the same maneuver?

Just a thought.

With ABS brakes would it not be impossible to accomplish the same maneuver?

Correct, it would be VERY difficult to intentionally "lay it down" which is a misnomer anyway, laying it down is crashing by another name.

As a side note, BMW just announced what they call

ASC (Automatic Stability Control) for all 2007 bikes

with Integral ABS. I think it more correctly, Automatic

Slip Control and prevents you from spinninng the rear wheel unless you defeat the ASC by switching it off on the dash.

Mick

DavidEBSmith

Hearing of riders in a situation in which a crash maybe inevitable they end up laying down their bike.

Unless you're James Bond going under a semi, "I had to lay 'er down" is a coverup for "I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to make an emergency stop and I lost control of my bike."

Hearing of riders in a situation in which a crash maybe inevitable they end up laying down their bike.

Unless you're James Bond going under a semi, "I had to lay 'er down" is a coverup for "I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to make an emergency stop and I lost control of my bike."

clap.gifthumbsup.gif

Firefight911

Truer words, I have never heard!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

skinny_tom (aka boney)

"I'm uneducated, inexperienced and don't know how to make an emergency stop and I lost control of my bike."

FIXED! thumbsup.gif

"I'm uneducated, inexperienced and don't know how to make an emergency stop and I lost control of my bike."

FIXED! thumbsup.gif

Ignorance becomes stupidity when it's applied to an obviously risky activity with little or no regard for the consequences.

Archived