IGNORED

Do you know of a fellow who can straighten a bird cage?

BucksTherapy

BucksTherapy

I now have two bent birdcages since the used part I purchased was bent. The fellow I purchased it from was super about it. Full refund, no questions asked, non need to ship old part back. Since he was so good I will pass his EBay store along, Deep6Cycle. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him even though he sent me a bent bird cage. Just the way he dealt with it.

Back to the question. I have heard of someone who has made a jig for bending the bird cages of 1150s back to original specs. Anyone ever heard of this person. I have business for him.

Thanks.

BucksTherapy
I'm feeling really stupid- birdcages?? Haven't heard that before. Whats that in reference to? Frame?

The bird cage is the subframe under the front faring. When its off the bike there are parts and pieces going everywhere and it looks something like a bird cage. At least this is what the crotch rocket guys call them.

Sorry for any confusion. confused.gif

Back to the question. I have heard of someone who has made a jig for bending the bird cages of 1150s back to original specs. Anyone ever heard of this person. I have business for him.

Thanks.

Maybe birds in the 12th centruy (1150's) were kept in bird cages and a new evolving hobby involves restoring these fabulous cages, although some are bent from the collapse of Rome, which requiring straightening

dopeslap.gif Time for bed!

I'm feeling really stupid- birdcages?? Haven't heard that before. Whats that in reference to? Frame?

The bird cage is the subframe under the front faring. When its off the bike there are parts and pieces going everywhere and it looks something like a bird cage. At least this is what the crotch rocket guys call them.

Sorry for any confusion. confused.gif

On a serious note, I understand now smile.gif They can be complex subframes, especially on the RT's!

I haven't heard of anyone with a jig for straightening these, but I will keep mey ears open for ya!

Thanks!

There have been various post over the years of attempts to do so, but honestly the alignment is so critical for all the tupperware, windscreen, etc. to fit, work, you might as well bite the bullet on a new one.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I didn't make any sort of jig, but after my bike dropped in Torrey in '03 I had a bent front subframe. I took the tupperware and tank off, and found reference points on the rest of the bike that I could measure to (front shock mount, footpegs, etc.) in order to bend the subframe back to a relatively symmetric configuration. Worked OK, although mine wasn't that badly bent.

Eckhard Grohe

I bent one last year on the BRP. I tried to fix it but I didn't want to have the tupperware on under stress for fear of it cracking. It costs a lot more than the frame. I bought a new frame from Hamersley and installed that.

BucksTherapy
There have been various post over the years of attempts to do so, but honestly the alignment is so critical for all the tupperware, windscreen, etc. to fit, work, you might as well bite the bullet on a new one.

I appreciate the feedback. I have bit the bullet and ordered one from Chicago BMW.

As always, thanks for the advice.

I guess that fate awaits me too (ordering new). I've tried the guys that advertise in the BMWOA magazine about frame straightening and they don't do sub-frames. Beemer boneyard rarely comes up with anything.

I agree that the subframe must be almost right-on to have everything fit correctly. My plastic won't fit on because the padeye I made to replace the broken one on the front frame doesn't stick out far enough. That I can fix. I can't get the fairing rear plates to line up with the frame and that appears to be the deal killer.

Bob

BucksTherapy

I have exactly the same problem and have learned it is highly unlikely you will find a straight one off a donor bike.

I have wasted time and money searching, purchasing and returning a bent one and now have ordered a new.

Archived