IGNORED

rebuilt rear shock by Lindeman

Rich06FJR1300

Rich06FJR1300

I'm contemplating getting my rear shock rebuilt by Lindeman engineering out in CA. Are there good/bad reports on doing this? I called them up and right from the start, they told me these shocks aren't "supposed" to be rebuilt. But i figure i'm not keeping the bike much longer to warrant those expensive aftermarket shocks.

Comments?

Firefight911

I used to use Lindemann for all my race shock rebuilds in the late 80's and early 90's. At that time, they were awesome.

Unfortuantely, I have not heard the same from friends and acquaintances who have used them lately. Very delayed response to inquiries and very long to get your product back. Set up was not as recommended either. Took a lot of re-adjusting to even get the shock in the ball park. This was on an R1200GS fornt and rear set up.

I would check around for another vendor. Stig Petersen comes highly recommended. Others may chime in about options as well.

I have used them to rebuild and re-spring my rear Showa and am very satisfied. See my earlier post. And my advice would be to rely only on actual personal experiences rather than base hearsay.

Firefight911
And my advice would be to rely only on actual personal experiences rather than base hearsay.

Definitely not hearsay when it is actual viewed experience by a very knowledgeable rider who works in the industry and is capable of blowing the doors off of better than 80% of any of the riders I have ever come in contact with.

As for the personal experience, when I went in search of a new spring, etc. for my DRZ (last year) to get it set for my 205 lb. butt, I contacted LE. No return calls, no follow up. That would be the personal experience you request vs the hearsay you state is occurring.

I ended up using Race Tech materials and had the work performed by a local, highly recommended tech.

Rich06FJR1300

are they on the web? and how much did it cost to do this? I'm really just looking to get the shock resealed as it was leaking. Springs should be ok.

Rider1200RT

Why not get a new set of Wilbers or Ohlins??

I know they are a chunk of change, but after gettting rid of the factory set up, my bike handled a LOT better. They are easier to rebuild too and can be custom set up without extra $$.

YMMV. Just my 0.02 cts

Rich, don't overlook Hagon shocks. You don't hear a lot about them but I decided to give them a try recently. Great price. Very nice workmanship. Fast shipping and great personal service from the US Rep, www.davequinnmotorcycles.com . Fit like a glove (although I did shim the front to get it to exact stock height as their shock is made to fit both RT and RS models). I've got several thousand miles on them now and am very pleased.

You mentioned you rgetting ready to sell the bike? let the buyer worry about shocks (of his preference) If you need to get another season, then sell the bike , buy used from someone like Beemer Boneyard.

But: IMHO, the expense of new set of Ohlins, Hagons, Wilbers, etc. is well worth the extra season of riding. Plus it'll boost the resale value. thumbsup.gif

Rich06FJR1300

point taken. I ordered a front one from Wilburs so will get that in a month. For now, the rear will remain stock until that one goes.

Archived