IGNORED

Loose System Cases - R1200RT - Warrantied

IT_Mike

Just a friendly post...

I recall others having a problem with loose mounting system case. At ~13.5K mls., mine have loosened.

Morton's BMW determined it's the locking latch mechanism on the inside of the inner half of the bag. (When you lock the bag to the bike, a latch is sliding up behind the bodywork). BMWNA is replacing the inner half of the bag, so everyone else should be able to get this fixed.

Mike

True. But I've always found it easier to convince a rep. when I had another case to point them at...

These bikes are a new design, with relatively few miles on them. Everyone's still feeling out the weaknesses, and trying to determine what's a failure vs. wear & tear. (Did the latch fail? or just wear out?) Therefore I thought it best to post, if only for reference purposes.

Mike

True. But I've always found it easier to convince a rep. when I had another case to point them at...

These bikes are a new design, with relatively few miles on them. Everyone's still feeling out the weaknesses, and trying to determine what's a failure vs. wear & tear. (Did the latch fail? or just wear out?) Therefore I thought it best to post, if only for reference purposes.

Mike

With ya all the way Mike! Just expressing my love of the warranty! And it is good to put this up, thank you! wink.gif

Mine shift ~3cm, nearly lifting off the rear post.

Way too loose.

Prior to this, they'd never move at all.

Mike

My left hand travel case is extremely difficult to 'latch in' when I'm installing it. I almost have to jump onto the handle to get it to close down....

I'm having the dealer look into it later this week.

I had this problem too - well, similar; it was nearly impossible to open. The dealer was going to replace the latch mechanisms but, when they opened it up, it turned out to be dirt. They are obviously not very well protected from the elements.

They cleaned them out and all has been well since (about 4 months) but I am a bit concerned about next Winter.

Paul

chazholiday

I dissassembled the inner case while installing some of those bungie posts. I was not really impressed with the locking mechanism. I also must not have done such a great job putting everything back together, as I have experienced a few 80mph case openings.

So a few tips if you plan on taking these things apart.

1. The main issue is that there is nothing holding any of the locking mechanism parts in place once you remover the inner case plastic housing.

2. The coil that retracts the lid strap will explode into a tangle of spring if you are not careful. It takes some patience to wind it back...

3. The lock cylinder seems to be extremely sensitive to how it is oriented when you screw everything back together, resulting in cases not wanting to open, which makes it kinda difficult to take them appart again smile.gif

I dissassembled the inner case while installing some of those bungie posts. I was not really impressed with the locking mechanism. I also must not have done such a great job putting everything back together, as I have experienced a few 80mph case openings.

1. The main issue is that there is nothing holding any of the locking mechanism parts in place once you remover the inner case plastic housing.

2. The coil that retracts the lid strap will explode into a tangle of spring if you are not careful. It takes some patience to wind it back...

3. The lock cylinder seems to be extremely sensitive to how it is oriented when you screw everything back together, resulting in cases not wanting to open, which makes it kinda difficult to take them appart again smile.gif

Hmm. My left case has always been hard to open - you have to press the lock cylinder and simultaneously press down on the latch lever or it won't pop up. I'm going to live with it because I'm afraid the "cure" might make it worse smirk.gif

I've found that in many instances, the cases are hard to open when full because the contents are pressing outwards and binding the latch mechanism. I've found that leaning with my legs to squeeze the case a little further shut while pressing to unlock works wonders...the lock mechanism operates very freely.

Hmm. My left case has always been hard to open - you have to press the lock cylinder and simultaneously press down on the latch lever or it won't pop up. I'm going to live with it because I'm afraid the "cure" might make it worse smirk.gif

Me too, Rusty. Exactly the same problem, left case only. Pushing down on the key button will not open the case, as it should when the key is in the "open" position. The first time this happened I almost panicked (wallet was inside...) but learned to play with it and insert the key, turning it to lock and then back to open and pushing at the same time. What's up?

Try pressing down on the latch lever (to relieve pressure) before pressing the open button. Works every time for me.

Me too, Rusty. Exactly the same problem, left case only. Pushing down on the key button will not open the case, as it should when the key is in the "open" position. The first time this happened I almost panicked (wallet was inside...) but learned to play with it and insert the key, turning it to lock and then back to open and pushing at the same time. What's up?

This is the path mine followed.

1. Started to get hard to open by pushing the button down but playing with the key would help

2. Then used to push on latch and button but that got harder.

3. Then pushed leg against pannier lid (especially when well packed). This gradually got harder over time.

4. Eventually became impossible to open using any/all of the above. Started with LH pannier and then RH pannier.

Dealer was going to change over mechanisms but ended just giving the internals a good clean and oil and everything has been fine since. Next time I'm in the dealer, I'll try and get a bit more detail.

UPDATE:

Apparently, BMW has corrected the problem that doesn't exist...

The new inside halves of system cases come with 'wear compensators' that attach to the 'latch' on the back of the clamshell.

Archived