IGNORED

Autocom gurus needed...

Gregori

Well, I'm very nearly among the growing ranks of Autocom users, I've finally managed to purchase an Autocom system.

I landed a Pro M1 with a whole slew of mysterious wires and adapters, some of which are quite puzzling. Since Autocom doesn't seem to mark their adapters with part numbers (at least none that I could find) it makes it nigh impossible to just look up their functionality! (Of course - if I were to have acquired this stuff new, it would obviously have had instructions and so on...)

I've sent an email to the seller who may be able to help with some of the questions, but I'm hoping this post will answer some that he can't.

Let's do the easy stuff first:

m1-3.jpg

This is obviously the PTT button, maybe part #136? I understand how it plugs between the 2-way and grey plug on the M1 - what I'm NOT clear on it the function of the little toggle swith to the left of the push button. (VOX on/off? Mute? Something else?)

Also - does anyone know what diameter the mounting 'arc' is made to match? Looks like it might be 1-inch? I'm going to have to figure out some kind of mounting adapter. I'm thinking maybe to the mirror stalk, since I have GS mirrors mounted on the RT... (At Torrey before I had the M1, Fernando showed me the gizmo he used to mount his PTT, but it doesn't seem to be compatible with GS mirror use, so how do the GS riders mount the switch?)

m1-4.jpg

These are probably the 2-way (FRS) radio plugs, I guess? Different plugs for different models or makers of radio? I don't (yet) have a 2-way to plug into the system, so what would be a recommendation that would hopefully plug into one of these adapters?

Okay - now I"m a little lost on functions of the following items:

m1-1.jpg

I have no idea...

© is the male 5-pin, (B) is the female 5-pin, and (A) is a 3.5 mm jack of some kind - is that an input of some type? Stereo, mono,cell, other??

m1-2.jpg

(A) and (B) are again 3.5 MM jacks (Stereo? Mono? Cellular in-out??) while © seems to be a standard stereo plug.

m1-5.jpg

This looks like it *could* be a home-brew modification, but it's pretty nicely done, if so. (And if that's the case, the seller would be the only one who'd know for sure what it's supposed to do!)

Female 3.5 mm jack on the little wire. don't know if it's stereo or mono.

And lastly - on the M! itself - there are three 3.5 mm jacks:

'Music Input' (which is pretty obvious even to me)

'Auxilliary 2' (which isn't very enlightening)

"Speech Level High/Low' (which I've read boosts speech levels by about 20% with a shorted plug.)

Is Aux 2 a stereo input, mono input, or is that for cell phone use?

Does the Speech Level boost amplify the INCOMING speech, or your own signal? (Presumably both, during rider-to-pillion intercom use?)

Thanks in advance for any light you might be able to shed on this!

Greg

PTT: leave it in the middle position. One of the others is voice-activated transmission, and the other is always on. What you might be able to do is mount it toward the inside of your left grip. That's what I did on my RT. On my GS, I use the mirror stalk, mounted horizontally.

Radio Plugs: One fits the various Motorolos, I think. The other fits the Kenwood.

Mysterious Box: Plugs between unit and helmet, and allows earplugs while retaining microphone use.

Red Thing: Don't know.

Homemade Lead: same as the mysterious box.

And lastly - on the M! itself - there are three 3.5 mm jacks:

'Music Input' (which is pretty obvious even to me)

'Auxilliary 2' (which isn't very enlightening)

"Speech Level High/Low' (which I've read boosts speech levels by about 20% with a shorted plug.)

Auxiliary is the control. So when the unit detects audio coming through Aux 2, it mutes music. So a phone or radar detector or GPS would go in Aux 2.

Does the Speech Level boost amplify the INCOMING speech, or your own signal? (Presumably both, during rider-to-pillion intercom use?)

It amplifies ONLY person-to-person communications, all hooked up to that unit. It does not affect bike-to-bike.

Red box is for GPS and Radar detector- A has priority over B

Black box is for Cell Phone hookup. Normal operation is to plug red box lead into B on black box then plug cell phone plug into A. This will give cell phone priority when you plug the black box lead into Aux2....I have same setup on Pro7 and works well...

Good luck

The PTT switch has three positions.

Center is Push to talk, one side is mute (no transmission at all, even with a button press), the other side is VOX (no button press needed)

BeniciaRT_GT
The PTT switch has three positions.

Center is Push to talk, one side is mute (no transmission at all, even with a button press), the other side is VOX (no button press needed)

As to the postitions:

center is PTT

flicked left as facing the button is always hot is my understanding

flicked right is vox, which depending on the radio, can work pretty well, once you get used to the delay.

It seems that there may have been a change in the way the PTT works from when mine was produced. Mine clearly has a mute position, and so does the unit my friend rides with.

Perhaps later versions changed the functionality.

See the current documentation for the PTT switch:

http://www.autocomamerica.com/files/SW-PV%20Instructions.pdf

That said, I almost always use PTT because I often carry a passenger and don't want to broadcast our whispers <s>

Archived