IGNORED

Home from the Un Check-In Thread

DavidEBSmith

All was well until 60 miles of FREAKIN' bicyclists slowed us both to a crawl along with every motorcop in the great state of 'rado on the '50'

Too funny. When we left the dinner Thursday night headed back to Denver, we took that route. There was this big ol' highway warning sign coming up, and, with all the construction, figured another one lane road. Nope. "Caution. Bicycles on June 23." confused.gif Guess you cleared up THAT confusion. crazy.gif

Made it home yesterday afternoon. Great ride back with Dick, Peter and Craig. Beautiful ride on Hwy 550 through SW Colorado - and then we hit the heat!! 100's all the way back to LA. But still a great ride home.

Thanks to all the UN-organizers for a great job. I totally enjoyed the whole experience and it was great to put names and faces together and meet so many of you.

Looking forward to next year.

I got home yesterday in the early evening - and from a few of the comments above, you may be able to guess that there's a little bit more than the usual "ride home" story.

I had to share my thanks and gratitude, so I posted some of the details over Here in Ride Tales

Got in at 3:45 yesterday after a great ride down CO-550 (except for Durango traffic) with Peter Chambliss, Dave Eisner, and Craig Carter, and then across the Navajo reservation to Flagstaff. It was a thundered and two much from there across the Mojave to Barstow (118 in Needles; 108 in Barstow: 105 at home in Lancaster), but the long lunch at the Barstow Bun Boy and its strawberry pie healed the wounds - for me at least.

Thanks for the great work to created an outstanding Un-Rally by Tasker, Ken and Donna and the rest of the Un-staff. Really, I'm deeply moved at the incredible results of your hard and loving work.

To "The Redstone Ride" crew: I saw you all Ride-Your-Own-Ride-Together, helping each other do that. That's a Love that's so special to you all, and I know you'll share how you did that. I too was moved at the beauty, the roads, the stunning Inn and the good food. And once again, cried when leaving The Mountain that's home to The Black Canyon of The Gunnison. It's moved me like that since John Bellantonio first took me there to plan routes for the first Un. Wow!!

Laney, I hope all smooths out, that the discomfort lessens, and that you're soon up and doing the riding you love so much. Thanks for lifting me, and us all, with your cheer.

Thanks for sharing the most incredible rides of my life to Whip, Howard, and Greg (limecreek), and to hANNAbONE and Sir Rodney, and to all you Redstone folks. And to all you who attended, YOU made "Gunnison", and enriched us all.

Best wishes

As much as I would have loved to make this my first trip it is yet to come! For all of us who could not go and missed the silence on the board WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!

russell_bynum

We're not home yet, but we're holed up at Lake Buchanan in the Texas Hill Country getting hammock marks on our butts and depleting the mararita pitcher at an alarming rate.

We had a great time despite my Monday afternoon Mishap. My shoulder is improving every day and the range of motion is probably 75%. I haven't started putting any load on it yet...that'll probably wait another week or two.

A huge kudos goes out to Tasker and his crew, including Ken and Donna, and Steve who put together a fantastic Un.

It was great seeing everyone again! We'll check in when we get home sometime mid-next week.

Yeeha! Stephen

Stephen & Miss Vicki made it home with an Uneventful ride. No tickets, no rain, no breakdowns, no slow downs, no illnesses...

Just beautiful scenery and roads and friends. Thanks folks.

Played tourist this time and went to several of the Parks. Didn't get to visit as much as I would've hoped. Should've shook more hands... Next time. wave.gif

Jeez, that went by fast.

Do you realize how long it will be to the next one? Dang & I'm gettin' old too! crazy.gif

Les and I are home at about 13:00 hours PDT Sunday after a VERY hot ride to and from Jean, NV! eek.gif

I don't know where to begin in thanking everyone who had a role in making this trip another in a series of FANTASTIC UnRallies!! thumbsup.gif

Despite a few unfortunate mishaps, it was another resounding success in the UnRally tradition!!!! clap.gif

My thanks to Tasker, Ken and Donna, Knappy, MattS and others who had a role in making this another FABULOUS UnRally in the books. Also, I have to give credit to all those who went out of their way to help out others, when things didn't quite go as planned! thumbsup.gif

It was also great to spend some "quality time" with Tom "Fast Mo-Fo" Roe, who generously shared some DB history and humorous anecdotes of BMWST(RT).com's early days for the fortunate few who were chillin' and hanging on every word.

There are so many other folks to thank for making this gathering yet another in a LONG series of UNFORGETTABLE trips, I hardly know where to start! confused.gif

I can't wait until the NEXT one!! clap.gifthumbsup.gifgrin.gif

We are home, too. Doing all of the yard work, home maintenance and M/C washing and polishing that that entails. wink.gif

We got back Saturday afternoon...running with a pretty large storm in our mirrors all the way home from central South Dakota. It got us with a glancing blow 15 miles from home.

We left early Thursday to run up through the Black Hills, and Badlands on the way home, as we could not take another run through Nebraska. The UnRally Gods punished us though, as upon entering Hill City, S.D. from the south, a big storm hit, and chased us out through Rapid City east before it let up on us. It was not pretty.

All-in-all a very nice time, and a big thank you to Tasker, Ken, Donna, Steve for a huge job...well done. thumbsup.gif

Oh, I'll have to post on the HUGE amount of oil the new RT used in our 3200 mile trip.

Fifth (A) - Had a great breakfast at Morrison. Mike O suggested that I order the "Spencer" which was enough food for 8. ...

The next "Spencer" is on me, Bud. It was great having breakfast with you (but I wouldn't touch the 'pucker' for anything - and I don't care if it WAS in the 'travel-lite package)

Regards,

Mike O

Missouri Bob

Although others have said it before me and better than I can, I really enjoyed my first UnRally. Good people and good riding. Thanks for everything.

Oh yeah, I got home on Friday after a 225 mile ride. No problems that couldn't be solved with ibuprofen.

Bob

Rode it pretty much straight through . . . home at 3 a.m. this morning. A great time!

What?!?!?!!! eek.gif Say it isn't so. An UnBOOMRally?!!!

It's the new me. smile.gif Where were you?

Slumgullion

Thanks much to the 'Tasker Team' for a wonderful event! Very organized for an Unrally um! Randy, Chris K and I left Gunnison Friday about 2:30 Pm and arrived in Atlanta 7:30 PM Saturday. 3 drivers non stop!

Home about 4pm Saturday. Just got back from a day of diving at Catalina. What a great trip and wonderful time with all of you. We are so fortunate to be able to enjoy riding and each others company. Thanks to everyone who helped make that happen. Great ride home with Craig, Dave and Dick. No tickets clap.gif Let's do this again soon!

Paul_Burkett

I just got in this evening after riding from Denver to Chicago-land. What a wonderful time it was to have been able to meet with all of you, this was the best get together that I have ever been to.

Thanks go out to all who put their time in to making this UN a great success, and for putting the needs of those attending above there own desire to ride. My helmet is off to you all.

Bart and I rolled in Saturday at about 8:00pm safe and sound. Thanks to all who set this great event up! This was my first but will not be my last. What a great group.

Hi All,

Left late on Thursday (1:30 ish) and rolled into home (northern VA) for lunch on Saturday. wave.gif Took secondary roads for a good bit, but also was on the highways in the early mornings/evenings.

thumbsup.gifThanks to all for a fantastic UN!

Glad to hear you are healing Laney bncry.gif

To all - thanks for such a grat time and for continuing my leaning about riding, motorcycle care, and, not least of all, life.

Cheers,

Kirsten

Calvin  (no socks)

I got home last night the 25th at 11:30.. Completed a ss 1000 from my friends house in Austin...

Had a great time, needed more time to meet everyone... there is always next year!

Thanks Tasker..

Ken and Donna..very profesional setup...so Un...

How about that North of the border tech day/ rally/ride in? eh?

Dennis Andress

I got home Monday morning after helping Laney leave for work. She's doing better every day. Driving Bob's truck (with my bike in back) past Baker, Ca Satruday we saw the big thermometer read 122...

Ittech (Russel): Sorry you couldn't find Bob's place We were eating diner in the Capitol Reef Inn and Restaurant and saw you ride by - twice.

Limecreek (Greg) and Whip: I wish I could have seen ya'll off when you left Thursday. I had a great time riding with you both.

Tom (boney): Stay away from the dark side....

Tasker, Ken and Donna: I enjoyed meeting ya'll and thanks for your hard work in putting this Un together.

Pictures are coming but not likely today.

Dennis

Phil, How could you possibly be home? You must not have stopped often enough to clean the bugs off. My guess is that it's a 20 stop minimum. grin.gif

BeniciaRT_GT

Home!!!

I got back Friday around 16:00..Out the door at 17:00 for a fun filled weekend of camping!

What an awesome time and even better people!

More later!

Rolled into casa Dallas at 6:00 pm on Saturday afternoon. Stephen (joined later by Ms. Vicki) and I had an awesome 8 day ride throught northern New Mexico and southern Colorado...threw in 3 national parks for good measure...2206 miles on the GPS when I got home.

My best to all and major thanks to Jamie, Leslie, Tasker, etc., etc. for their work in making this yet another great UN-event. cool.gif

aTennesseebmw22

Home Safe, I must say that was one HECK of a good time !!! Nice to meet some UN rookies too. Look forward to the next time. 3600 miles 9 days new roads new friends old friends no problems... priceless.

Stay safe

David.

Home Safe, I must say that was one HECK of a good time !!! Nice to meet some UN rookies too. Look forward to the next time. 3600 miles 9 days new roads new friends old friends no problems... priceless.

Stay safe

David.

eR - uH -- dAVID...you can now enter the '06 version on your sig line, bubba..! clap.gifclap.gifthumbsup.gif

Paul Mihalka

Not home yet until July 3, but having a great ride! First, a BIG THANKS to all the UN organizers. You guys did such great preparation and work, it almost doesn't deserve the UN title.

Right now at the motel confuser in Pincher Creek, Alberta. Friday a great but hot ride over to Bob's house in Torrey. Thanks Bob for the stay! It was super to have a UNrally UNwinding in Torrey. Saturday a nice ride up sweeper madness, found some nice roads and then Interstate from Salt Lake to Twin Falls ID. Sunday through Sun Valley to Missoula. Today superb: Perfect ride-stop for view-ride through Glacier Nstional Park. Tomorrow should also be great: to Jasper through some spectacular country. I'll keep you'all posted when I can.

I finally made it home. clap.gif The UN seems to get better and better. thumbsup.gif

One sour note: My Held gloves were stolen in Delta, Utah. bncry.gif

I figured in the Heartland of Utah I'd be safe. I guess I should have locked them up. Live and learn.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

1750 miles and I just got in! thumbsup.gif

It was over 100 degrees for most of the ride in from Terrebonne, OR. It's 91 here in Seattle! tongue.gif

Just rolled in 1100pm with 1246 miles today.Before i sleep i needed to thank all the people who gave their time to put this on in Gunnison and also to Tom Roe for just showinup. Wednesday and thursday nite i looked around the dinner hall and felt a real greatfulness to be a part of this family. Also, Thanks Bob for putting us up Friday nite. You Sir have the best stars above your home, being able to watch them while listening to the Cottenwoods russle their leaves, settled me into a sleep second to none.

Thanks to all who showed up and had FUN. Good nite

One sour note: My Held gloves were stolen in Delta, Utah.

Whaddya know, they usually go for your liquor! Oh, that's right: it was "safe" at Bob's! grin.gif

Arrived home safe and sound at about 6:00 p.m. Monday. I did a total of 10,250 kms/6355 mi roundtrip, according to my trusty GPS. It was a great time -- outstanding scenery and riding which is hard to put into words, and to which pictures do not do justice (not that I didn't take lots -- 300+). I too would like to thank all those who unorganized the event in Gunnison. However, I would especially like to thank Doug Gilmer ("DouglasR"), who helped quite a bit with routes/maps in the planning stage and offered to have me join his trio of Wyoming riders on the way to Gunnison, by way of Utah. It was an offer I was glad I accepted. It was a very enjoyable time with Doug, Wayne and Tim. The only downer was Wayne going down just out of Silverton and breaking his collarbone, but all in all, things could have been much worse for him.

I think I'm well along in breaking in my new RT.

PhillyFlash

Made it to Marlton, NJ (just outside Philly) early Tuesday afternoon. Had a great ride on Saturday in eastern Tennessee with David Baker, and Mark and Christine, and a fantastic ride up the Blue Ridge Parkway on Sunday and Monday. In and out of rain each day, sometimes heavy, but usually not too bad. Staying here until July 5, then off to Niagara Falls. 4200+ miles so far. More to come.

russell_bynum

OK, we're home now and have the bikes unloaded.

My shoulder is still pretty sore, but the range of motion is very good. I'll start adding strength exercises after I see my doctor.

I hope be able to thrill you all with tales of terifying tumbling Tuonos, titillating tasty treats, Tasker in a Truck, and probably some other stuff that starts with T but I'm too tired to tell tonight. cool.gif

It was great seeing everyone, and I really appreciate all the offers for help I got after my mishap.

More later.

Buddy's home from the Un - Killer brought him in yesterday from his extended vacation in Torrey. smile.gif Bob rode him through some brutal heat to get him home to me - Thank you again Bob!

I don't know how many miles he had on this trip, or how many miles I had (on two wheels...) this trip. I'm just happy we're all here in one place. thumbsup.gif

Paul Mihalka

Still on the road, right now in a tourist info. station in Manitoba where they have a free confuser for visitors! Day before yesterday a superb ride through the Canadian Rockies including the Kananaskis range South of Banff. This time it did not rain, MikeRC! Through all the trip I had 10 minutes of rain the first day. Seems all the rain is at home and no rain left for the rest of the country. Spent the night in Jasper. From there it is riding East. Spent the night in Saskatoon. More report later!

We're back from the UN and our extended vacation in TX. We had a great time in CO - just wished we could have visited with everyone longer. More details to come in a future ride tale...for now, I have a zillion emails to read and a bunch of projects at work to get back to. smirk.gif

Jane and I arrived home Tuesday afternoon, via Torrey and Tahoe. 'Been reading this thread and a couple of Ride Tales, off and on, since then .... along with unpacking, cleaning, catching-up, etc.

I had a good time. Jane will admit to having a good time part of the time (she didn't appreciate the heat, wind, and sore behind!). We had the privilege of riding with "Raaan" to the southern part of Black Canyon. The next day we caught up with Master Yoda's group at the overlook, then passed them as they were having lunch as we completed the loop over Independence Pass. Jane met Joel and we both finally met Heidi - great people. Met up with Dave Waterman in Eureka, NV. on the way back. We really made a point to try to meet some new people, as well as visit with those we knew, but I know we still missed some.

I learned how top-heavy that RT is with both a loaded tank-bag and top box; ... dropped that sucker 4 times on that trip! Gonna have to figure out something else.

Our Thanks to the folks involved in putting this event on, and to all of you for making it special.

Our wishes for quick healing to Russell (Bounce bounce), Laney, and the other fellow who crashed, whose name I can't recall.

Ten days and about 3500 miles for us.

Jane and I arrived home Tuesday afternoon, via Torrey and Tahoe.
Peter, please accept my apologies for not hooking up with you in Torrey, when you left the message we were all at The Patio having pizza, I listened to the message but with being tired and having so many people around completely forgot about it. A couple of days later I wondered about the '2' on the machine and listened to it again, sorry.

It's OK Paul, I was having a great time in California. Over 2500 km exploring some great roads:

1) Pacific Coast Highway Santa Barbara to San Jose

2) 5 times back and forth over the Siera Nevadas - Tioga, Sonora, Ebbetts, Carson and Yuba passes. Shut out at Lassen by snow.

3) CA 49 from Nevada City to Calpine - woohoo!!!

4) CA136 and 96 today - couldn't think of a better 600km detour to cover the 200km from Red Bluff to Yreka

Baby gets new shoes tomorrow morning in Medford and then on to Mt St Helens and Vancouver.

Mike Cassidy

Jane and I arrived home Tuesday afternoon, via Torrey and Tahoe.
Peter, please accept my apologies for not hooking up with you in Torrey, when you left the message we were all at The Patio having pizza, I listened to the message but with being tired and having so many people around completely forgot about it. A couple of days later I wondered about the '2' on the machine and listened to it again, sorry.

Not a problem, Bob. We got in late - about 8 PM, as I recall - and Jane was wasted from the heat coming across from Colorado and up 95. I figured you guys were already at dinner somewhere. We just kinda staggered over to Brink's before they closed. It might have been nice to get together the next day, but it just didn't work out.

Hey, what have they done to hwy 24?!! We tried to go up to 72, but 24 just disappeared west of Bicknell! Nothing but dirt for I don't know how many miles (we gave up after two).

Next time.

Hey, what have they done to hwy 24?!! We tried to go up to 72, but 24 just disappeared west of Bicknell! Nothing but dirt for I don't know how many miles (we gave up after two).
They've been working on it since January, they have re-routed parts of it from Bicknell to Lyman, about 7 miles, and are supposedly going to pave it by September, probably right after Fall Torrey. The road surface is actually not bad as long as you don't follow the water truck too closely and the airport road can be used to bypass most of it. Currently they seem to be paving some of small side roads that lead to farms...

Team Schnauzer returned to HQ ~7:30 pm on 6/29, in good shape, but a bit sad that the trip had come to its end. Why did it take us a week to go 275 miles? That Tale will follow.

Many, many thanks to all who UNorganized this event. And many thanks to the many fine people whose fellowship we enjoyed.

I was curious who was riding that other K bike with Dennis that followed me from Gunnison to Montrose. Now I know. Good luck resisting the Dark Side, Tom! wink.gif

Dennis Andress

Likewise Joel, I wondered who was riding the GS ahead of us - until I saw Heidi wave from the bus as you went around. I hope ya'll had a good time.

Christiana, the temp in Death Valley this weekend is supposed to be 49C!

Could be tongue.gif, but I made it clap.gif Monday morning 7 a.m. and it was amazing.

The day before from Zion NP to DV Junktion that was awful hot and boring. I had to stop every 70 miles.

Thanks for your information.

Christiane

Paul Mihalka

Monday 3pm: Just got home! Friday nice visit at Betty's Bikes and Buns (who is Betty???) with Tom Roe and a great stay with Barbara and Jeff Reiswig (bmwscoot). Super ride, no problems, no conversations with the Law, one hour rain this morning, the rest dry. About 8K miles total. Ride tale and some pictures in a few days - Now to ride my Kawasaki (the lawn machine). Three weeks of grass and weeds....

Archived