IGNORED

Heated grip removal

Davis

How does one get the terminals for the heated grip leads out of the connector body?

Use a small pick - or a needle, or something similar. There's a tang on one side of EACH spade that clicks into the plastic body, sort of like a fish hook. Slide your pick into the housing from the spade (not the wire) side to compress that tang, and gently pull the wire to dislodge the spade.

What type (year or part number) of grips can be used if the stock heated grip is worn out and needs to be replaced, my limited understanding was the whole grip unit needed to be replaced, or are the elements molded in the rubber, or is it just in the inside? I was just gonna to get non heated grips and wait until I had the extra $$ for the stock heated ones. TIA,

Chad

02 RTP

What type (year or part number) of grips can be used if the stock heated grip is worn out and needs to be replaced, my limited understanding was the whole grip unit needed to be replaced, or are the elements molded in the rubber, or is it just in the inside? I was just gonna to get non heated grips and wait until I had the extra $$ for the stock heated ones. TIA,

Chad

02 RTP

You can peel the rubber off your old grips and replace them with regular grips of your choice (I lean toward Renthal mediums in half waffle). Buy two sets of grips because you only need the bigger ones for the throttle.

There's really only a couple of little cement spots adhering the grip rubber to the heater element. A longitudinal slice with a razor blade is usually sufficient to get the old rubber off.

A bit of hair spray for lube/adhesion and voila! New grips.

Cost: usually around $22.00 for two sets of name-brand grips. Plus a buck or two for hairspray if you can't still it from your favorite girl. That's opposed to the $180 worth of OEM parts and the hassle of dinking around with the wiring. Feel free to send me the monetary difference thumbsup.gif

BTW: I would be wary of using specialty grip glue for this, as some of them might attack the heating element.

I can tell you that Dove hair spray does not.

Use a small pick - or a needle, or something similar. There's a tang on one side of EACH spade that clicks into the plastic body, sort of like a fish hook.

Thanks for the help. That was what I thought but wasn't having any luck, wanted to double check before tearing the wire out of the terminal. A little stronger tug and they popped right out. BTW, wasn't a problem with the grip, just needed to remove it to replace the master cylinder.

... You can peel the rubber off your old grips and replace them with regular grips of your choice (I lean toward Renthal mediums in half waffle). Buy two sets of grips because you only need the bigger ones for the throttle.

Sorry for a dumb question, but why 2 sets?

I take it that you have Renthal Street Grips - dark grey?

I have worn out the clutch side rubber grip on my heated grips. I ordered a OEM replacement for mine and it doesn't match the throttle so it looks like I a going to have to replace both.

Sorry for a dumb question, but why 2 sets?

Because the grip on the throttle side is larger than the clutch side, requiring two different size replacement grips.

Sort of. You'll use the throttle side of each of your new grip sets, because the heated element of your grips is larger than a standard 7/8" bar.

And yes, the gray Renthals are the ones I go with, a nice feel.

Archived