IGNORED

Valve shims - what will work?

kioolt

I'm doing a valve adjustment on my 91 K100LT. I need some shims. I've been told that a 2 valve Kawasaki shims will work. I know that when I go down to the Kawasaki dealer he's going to ask me what model. If I tell him it's for a BMW he might not even help. So what model should I ask for?

duckbubbles

That's an eight valve engine, right? Two valves per cylinder?

Shims from Kawasaki's and Yamaha's will work just fine. Tell them it is for a KZ1000, mid 70's or a three cyl 750 Yammer of the same vintage. Know which sizes you need. Two point ninety-five milimeters is a 295 shim.

What do you need? I have a pretty large selection of them.

Frank

duckbubbles

Also, the Japanese shims are etched with the size and that should go towards the top of the valve, or towards the engine to keep the size legible for next time.

Frank

I went to my local Yamaha/Kawasaki dealer to try and get some shims. I showed them the one from my BMW without telling them it was from a BMW. I told them it was for a Yamah XS11. The reply that I got was all we have are the smaller shims for the new bikes. They didn't offer to order me any. I guess that if you have an older Yamaha you just have to live with valves out of adjustment if this is your dealer. I eventually went to my BMW dealer which was about 45 miles further away.

Archived