IGNORED

Motolight Caliper Mount on the 12RT

SiamJim

Has anyone installed the caliper mount motolights on their RT and if so, how do you like the fit and finish.

I have the strap mount motolights and for the second time, the bolt holding the light to the strap snapped. Luckily I didn't lose the light, but it got dinged up pretty bad. I'm trying to figure out if I should give the straps another try or spend $80 in the caliper mount upgrade.

Thanks Mos, and yes, a pic would be great please, please, please. You can't see much from the pics on the Motolight website.

Has anyone installed the caliper mount motolights on their RT and if so, how do you like the fit and finish.

I have the strap mount motolights and for the second time, the bolt holding the light to the strap snapped. Luckily I didn't lose the light, but it got dinged up pretty bad. I'm trying to figure out if I should give the straps another try or spend $80 in the caliper mount upgrade.

I've got the caliper-mount versions on my ST and I really like them. It's purely subjective, but I think they look more "factory" than the strap mounts. This mounting system seems very secure . . . I can't imagine having the mount break.

Bill Murray

Like Mike, I also have the caliper-mounted Motolights on my R12ST. Mike is correct -- the caliper mount looks like a factory installation compared to the strap mount. I am using the 50 watt bulbs, and these but out a lot of light! One advantage of the Motolight fork mounting is you get a bit of lighting into the direction of a turn due to the front wheel deflection. The Motolights are little expensive, but are a very well made product.

Sorry I don't know how to 'direct' you to the post so I copied it and here is my ' $.02' worth re: caliper mount for the Motolights.

Once I got them installed they worked fine, so far. Not sure if I would buy the 50 watt bulbs again, they are so bright I have to have them aimed down a lot to keep my riding buddies in front happy.

And I would like to try the amber ones if they are at Essex Vt. next month.

Jim

Re: Auxiliary Lighting for R1200RT [Re: ebueker]

#700071 - 15/06/06 11:53 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

I don't want to be the one to sound the disclaimer on the Moto Light parade but after trying another brand that was a real problem to install, so much so I sent them back...I finally 'popped' for the big buck Moto Light caliper mounts, 55W bulbs, and braided SS wiring harness. Ouch$. But what the heck, go for it I figured.

Well after much anticipation, (and waiting, here across the border...), they arrived and I began the process of installing the 'autoswitch' (high beam type) and related wiring for the new lights.

After an hour or so I thought I better mount the lights to see where the wiring would end up and low and behold, one of the bolts used to 'squeeze' the light housing to the caliper mount was missing. Not anywhere. And to make matters worse the one bolt I did have refused to turn in far enough to tighten the mount. So leave it for the night, and the next day begin the search for the right size, lenght, thread pitch bolt to match the one I did have. Had to drive to Ottawa, ( 2 hours round trip) but found one in black steel.

Now the real fun. Figured out why the bolt wouldn't tighten the bracket, it was bottoming out before the head could come to bear on the bracket. The threads were not far enough into the hole. So break out the tap and die set. I managed to borrow a good set from a friend and we tapped the holes another 1/4" deeper and the bolts then tightened the bracket just fine.

I called Moto Lights and suggested they have their suppliers run the tap a little deeper and please send me the bolt I was missing. Not sure they believed me about the treads being short but sent me another bolt to make up for the missing one.

I was dissappointed in the production quality, and in the 'ho-hum' response to the problems I had but the lights do work fine. Not sure they are worth the $450.00 though.

I also missed a ride with my buddies with the bike half apart for a day and a half

--------------------

2005 Piedmont Red R12RT

many, many went before...

beginning in 1965, '61 BSA Ariel 650.

Archived