IGNORED

Transition Lens Glasses + Polarized Clip- Ons

wolcott

1)Does anyone on the board just wear glasses with transition lens that automatically darken with the sunlight while they ride their bike? The optician I was talking to said there should be no problem wearing them in strong sunlight. I am sort of skeptical.

2) I usually wear just clip-ons (polarized ) over my regular glasses. I have worn a 3/4 helmet with shield for the last few years. I have had no luck finding non-polarized clip-ons. Upon doing a search on sunglasses, some complaints were not being able to read the GPS (don't have one) and wierd rainbow effects on the inside of the shield. I have never seen these either, but I have a new Shoei helmet that if I decide to keep it (still unsure of my trip plans- health concerns in very hot weather) might show rainbow effects. The other thing that bothers me is complaints that polarized clip-ons might hide oil, antifreeze, diesel fuel, in additon to other hazards.

3)What are my choices? Either the transition lens glasses or a pair of prescription sunglasses that are non-polarized? Do prescription sunglasses come in non-polarized? (forgot to ask optician). Many thanks.

wolcott -

I just bought my FIRST pair of prescription sunglasses. I had debated getting transitions (I love the idea!) but decided against it because they won't darken behind the car windows or behind the face shield (both have UV protection).

Due to the strength of my prescription, I ended up having "tinted" lens rather than a polarized sunglass lens (not available in my prescription). I recommend asking your optician to 'tint' the lens - and from what I know, those cannot be polarized.

I wore my new sunglasses today under the helmet for the first time (and actually with my smoke face shield) - it works great!

I have polarized sunglasses that I use for fishing and kayaking but you get weird visual patterns behind a face shield. Some types of road tar appear as if they are wet when they are not. In certain light you just can see things properly. I now use one of those tinted strips that stick to the inside of the face shield and that keeps my eyes shaded except when riding directly into a setting or rising sun. I have inexpensive clip ons for those times.

Scott

I have done this in the past. I found that with a 3/4 helmet (I no longer use one) with a bill, the transitions didn't get dark enough. I'm currently struggling with the polarization/rainbows issue when wearing prescription sunglasses and a face shield. Drives me nuts. I have a pair of polarized clip-ons that are somewhat better than the prescription sunglasses, but still not ideal. I'm due for new glasses, and you can bet my next pair of sunglasses will NOT be polarized.

All that being said, my best solution so far is to wear my regular glasses with a Schuberth S1 full-face helmet that has it's own flip-down sunshield. I don't have to monkey around with clip-ons OR rainbows. I still prefer my Arai XD helmet in summer because it's cooler, but it doesn't have the sun shade. There are films you can temporarily apply to the inside of the visor, though. You can peel the film off when you don't need it.

I use a tinted (dark gray) faceshield and it works fine. I keep a clear faceshield in the top case and switch out if I'm riding before sunrise, after sundown, or during rain. grin.gif

I wear the Transitions type glasses (for many years) and, as others have already stated, they don't darken enough in a car or inside of a full face helmet. I bought some clip-ons to compensate, but they also give weird patterns. Sometimes, I can't read the GPS or even the speedometer/tach.

I've been happy with the PhotoGray glass lenses. They do darken better than the transition lenses, but are only available in glass. Since I prefer glass anyway, it works just fine for me.

Dave

wolcott -

I just bought my FIRST pair of prescription sunglasses. I had debated getting transitions (I love the idea!) but decided against it because they won't darken behind the car windows or behind the face shield (both have UV protection). I wore my new sunglasses today under the helmet for the first time (and actually with my smoke face shield) - it works great!

I use prescription sunglasses with a clear face shield that I've stuck a dark strip across the top. Used window tint material and it's stayed stuck for two years now. I prefer to use sunglasses vs a dark face shield since most likely when I'm off the bike, I'll need them anyway. Mine are polarized and I do get some weird rainbow effects; next pair will not be polarized.

I was getting gas once and thought the lcd screen on the pump wasn't working; I happened to glance over my glasses and low and behold the screen was working. My polarized glasses wiped it completely out LOL.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Like one of the posters, (after inquring upon the tint glasses further), I have decided to go with the tint glasses. The optician says they have actual tint samples that you can hold up in front of your regular prescription glasses. You can go as light or as dark as you want on the tint, and the optician told me most folks go for a grey or brown tint. These tinted glasses are non-polarized. I think this will be the way to go for me. If my shade of tint that I end up with is too light, I guess I could always stick one of those tint strips on the inside of the faceshield too.

1) I have been going to wal-mart for a good price as I'm on a budget. Have any of you noticed that most of the motorcycle related eyewear in not conducive to full-face helmets. They have regular sunglasses in various styles with wide temple pieces that are more suited to guys not wearing helmets, (just a bandana) and they also have sports goggles with a band in the back that also don't look like they would work very well with a full face helmet. If they would only make a non-polarized clip-on for prescription sunglasses that would be nice, don't you think? But, then again, polarized sunglasses cut down on glare, so maybe making non-polarized sunglasses that don't cut down on glare would be poor sellers in today's marketplace, I guess.

I have used a reflective shield for years on my flipup Shoei and keep a clear shield in the bag. Use my regular prescription glasses and there is no problem with the gps.

Bill Murray

I have transition glasses, and Berkly is correct -- they will not darken in the car or behind most helmet visors. I believe the transition lenses require UV exposure to trigger their darkening.

At one time, I tried using polarized prescription sunglasses. The polarized lenses caused a shimmer effect for car windshields, manhole covers, etc. that I found very distracting. I now use non-polarized prescription sunglasses. These have worked well for me.

I always keep a regular pair of prescription glasses with me when I ride, just in case.

Archived