IGNORED

n00b.....didn't pick up the bike yet - no manual to read - what oil weight do

lthj75

NON-Synthetic 20W50 ( BMW ) will work just fine. Service intervals are 600 (critical), and then every 6,000 thereafter (6,000 12,000 18,000 etc). Your future engine will require a lengthy breakin, so synthetics aren't recommended until later. When, you may ask?, well, there could be a thread based on just this question. Stick with non-synthetic, and you'll be riding for a loooong time.

Enjoy! grin.gif

Cool....on prior bikes I switched to synthetic at 2K miles......you suggest waiting longer, eh? 600 to 6K sounds like a long wait to me (mileage, not time wise). You recommend using 20w50w BMW oil only?

Well, it depends on who you talk to. Others will tell you to use 10W40, but I think most would chime in at 20W50. When to go to synthetic? Again a topic usually heavily debated. However, I know ALOT of people who have waited until later for synthetic ( 12k-15k+++ )and there bikes run the best AND ****burn the least amount of oil.

Just my 2cents. If BMW recommends not using synthetic and putting in20w50, I'm not gonna argue or look for better. It hasn't failed me yet....

Out of curiousity - I came from the HD family who also heavily advised against synthetic - UNTIL they developed their own blend of it. Then they were jumping on the synthetic bandwagon! Is this a tactic so BMW sells their dino oil? Again, just a thought - not based on any experience/knowledge.

Why do you want to switch to synthetic? It won't break down as much in extremely hot operating conditions, but otherwise it won't do squat for you except lighten the wallet.

Use the recommended weight from the owner's manual and changer it every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. We've done extensive oil sampling/testing around here, and I can dig it all up if you need it. But the short version is that it really doesn't matter as long as it's the right spec and weight.

On the other hand, if there's a good reason to switch to synthetic, there's not a single valid reason to wait. BMW doesn't do it in their own bikes, and they don't say anything about it in the modern era.

duckbubbles

I waited 'til 10,000 miles to change to synthetic. I believe it gave the engine time to mostly break in. BMW's tend to take a lot longer to break in than most others. It was using oil until that change. 2500 since that and it is still in the top of the sightglass. Used the BMW 20W50 before that, in Texas you need it.

Frank

Actually I believe (I'll have to check), the 06 RT manual indicates switching to synthetic at the 6k service is fine. As for price, the 20/50 BMW brand dino oil is more expensive than Mobil 1 synthetic where I live.

Actually I believe (I'll have to check), the 06 RT manual indicates switching to synthetic at the 6k service is fine. As for price, the 20/50 BMW brand dino oil is more expensive than Mobil 1 synthetic where I live.

Yep:

"Engine oils of the API classification SF or better. Engine oils of the ACEA classification A2 or better. BMW Motorrad recommends not using synthetic oils for the first 6,000 miles (10,000km). Ask your BMW Motorcycle retailer for engine oils suitable for your motorcycle"

-2006 R1200RT Rider's Manual pg. 137

There you go. Never caught that, but please don't flame me for reading that section, tongue.gif

Thanks. I don't have the newer RT, and haven't read that manual. I don't think the earlier engines had that. And police bikes ship with synthetic in them. We'll see if the new 1200RTP does, too. tongue.gif

I appreciate the clarification.

I used Castrol 20W-50 in my '96 RT for the 9 years I had it and am now using the same in my '05 RT. I have not been made aware of any reliable data to make me want to change.

Archived