IGNORED

Radio Power Wire - switched?

RiP

I have a 2002 R1150RT with the radio wiring in place (no radio tho otherwise I would probably know the answer to this question).

If the power wire going to it is switched, I was going to hook my PIAA lights into it. Can someone advise if that is a switched wire or not?

Thanks

The wiring is not "switched", meaning that to kill all power to the wiring for the radio you have to lock the ignition with the handlebars in the full left position. you could use this power for your lights however by simply installing your on/off switch somewhere in the wiring path.

If the power wire going to it is switched, I was going to hook my PIAA lights into it. Can someone advise if that is a switched wire or not?

Thanks

You might just use the tail light wire. I just hooked my PIAA's relay up to it. Works when the key is "on". You're just powering the relay, right? The lights hook up directly to the battery. Just an idea...

Thanks

You might just use the tail light wire. I just hooked my PIAA's relay up to it. Works when the key is "on". You're just powering the relay, right? The lights hook up directly to the battery. Just an idea...

I take it you haven't had any problems hooking into this wire? I seem to remember hearing some problems hooking some other accessories into it - such as the pulsating rear tailight bulb (?).

It would be closer for me to tap into as I mounted the relay behind the side cover on the clutch side. It has been suggested that I splice into the headlamp hot wire, but don't want to run wire up that far nor have to dismantle the front end that much (I am basically lazy). wave.gif

Thanks all for the input.

Thanks

I take it you haven't had any problems hooking into this wire? I seem to remember hearing some problems hooking some other accessories into it - such as the pulsating rear tailight bulb (?).

It would be closer for me to tap into as I mounted the relay behind the side cover on the clutch side. It has been suggested that I splice into the headlamp hot wire, but don't want to run wire up that far nor have to dismantle the front end that much (I am basically lazy). wave.gif

I have a pulsating "BRAKE!!" light and hooking up to this wire seems to have no effect on either the PIAA's or the brake light. It also adds no interference to my Autocom which is also hooked to this source.

I have a pulsating "BRAKE!!" light and hooking up to this wire seems to have no effect on either the PIAA's or the brake light. It also adds no interference to my Autocom which is also hooked to this source.

Actually you are right - I just need to hook the power for the relay to something switched. Where did you splice into the taillight harness? I noticed that it appears to run into the fuse box on the throttle side. Did you just peal back the covering and splice in there? Is the power wire like the rest of the bike (red &/or orange) for power? I took the taillight assembly off and the wires going to the lights are either brown or blue.

Sorry for some elementary/dumb/simple questions, but hate making mistakes! frown.gif

I took the taillight assembly off and the wires going to the lights are either brown or blue.

Brown is ground/negative, grey/yellow is the brake light, grey/white is the tail light. Blue/black is the right turn signal, blue/red is the left signal.

Archived