IGNORED

Ever have DRIVERS split YOUR lane?

beemerman2k

beemerman2k

While riding on the freeway on my way to work this morning, a car came up from behind me and passed me -- only the driver didn't bother to get into the lane next to me while passing me, he stayed in my lane! eek.gif I was quite annoyed by this, but when I thought about it, I guess he was "lane splitting". I did not like this nor will I tolerate it in the future. Instead of assuming the car will change lanes prior to passing me, if I see a car come up from behind me, I will drift to the right portion of my lane to force the driver to change lanes prior to passing me.

Is what this driver did legal in California?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander wink.gif Serioulsy, obvioulsy pretty dangerous but I'm not sure that it's technically illegal under CA law for the same reason that allows motorcyclists to lane split. I even seem to remember the CA Motorcyclist's Drivers Manual to actually recommend that motorcyclists not ride too far towrads the side of the lane so as to discourage cars from attempting to pass in the same lane.

Ans yes, I've had it happen (in the rain!), and yes, it scared the crap out of me. I'm not a violent person but if I had caught up to that car I don't know what might have happened...

Almost never. Depending on conditions I do several things to keep this from happening. I slowly traverse from one side of the road to the other. Move to the side I am being passed on so there is no room. Speed up or slow down a bit to leave them nowhere to go if they pass.

Once, many years ago I had a car pull up beside me at a stop light. One end of a manrickisugari (small weighted chain) fell from my hand and dangled down beside his window and he decided that perhaps he should let me have the entire width of the lane at the next stop sign.

I don't know about California, but I was in the middle lane of three on the Autostrada. As I approached a sedan, he pulled over to the right half of the lane so I could pass without going into the infamous left lane. Sure enough, I did the same for an Alfa Romeo a little later...

Instead of assuming the car will change lanes prior to passing me, if I see a car come up from behind me, I will drift to the right portion of my lane to force the driver to change lanes prior to passing me.

Objectively, though, either way he will be the same distance beside you, so it appears not to make any diffence from a safety viewpoint.

Bob.

Instead of assuming the car will change lanes prior to passing me, if I see a car come up from behind me, I will drift to the right portion of my lane to force the driver to change lanes prior to passing me.

Objectively, though, either way he will be the same distance beside you, so it appears not to make any diffence from a safety viewpoint.

Bob.

Unless you consider the technique of weaving around in your lane like a drunkard might actually scare them off.........

Wayne

I have had it happen on double yellow lines through the mountains of Arkansas. Squid flew by, then another. The second one was across the double yellow lines at the crest of a hill and got lucky. I was not poking around myself. I thought it was discourteous and dangerous for no apparent reason, other than their own personal entertainment. That's ok if they crash their own bike, they made the choice, but I don't appreciate being drawn into their fun and games.

I think I remember reading the rules of the road for CA about this once, and while it is vaguely legal for bikes to lane "share", it is not legal for cars to do the same. I'll see if I can find it again.

Last time it happened to me, I honked. Then, as I passed them in the L turn lane, honked again. Apparently this was very inflammatory as they decided to chase me down and throw cans and other projectiles out of their car window at my and my partner. We pulled over up the street behind a parked cop car, and that was that. Except my partner decided it was my fault and reamed me out for months.

People are weird, there's no two ways about it.

Andie, Seattle

never ride faster than your angels can fly

If memory serves, as a motorcycle rider you not allowed to straddle lanes in California, but share them when passing. Traffic must meet speed criteria, and the bike rider is not to exceed a certain speed while practicing this.

The origin of the practice dates back to a time when all bike were air-cooled and had to remain in motion in order to keep the engine from burning-up. This practice is allowed by bikers which have more maneuverability than larger vehicles. This practice is a traffic violation when done by a car passing a motorcyclist who is occupying a traffic-lane. The distinction would be who is doing the passing. Violation would be at least a reckless…

There is no law for or against lane sharing in California. It's simply not mentioned. It's only 'legal' because it's not specifically illegal. If an LEO chooses, there are a number of laws that can apply when splitting, notably failure to signal or good old reckless driving.

The original poster's question is answered here:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs55thru57.htm

Here is how you can share the road safely with motorcyclists:

* When you change lanes or enter a major thoroughfare, make a visual check for motorcycles. Also use your mirrors. Motorcycles are small and they can easily disappear into a vehicle’s blind spots.

* Allow a four-second following distance. You will need this space to avoid hitting the motorcyclist if he or she falls.

* Allow the motorcycle a full lane width. Although it is not illegal to share lanes with motorcycles, it is unsafe.

* When you make a turn, check for motorcyclists and know their speed before turning.

* Remember that road conditions which are minor annoyances to you pose major hazards to motorcyclists. Potholes, gravel, wet or slippery surfaces, pavement seams, railroad crossings, and grooved pavement can cause motorcyclists to change speed or direction suddenly. If you are aware of the effect of these conditions and drive with care and attention, you can help reduce motorcyclist injuries and fatalities.

I'm actually impressed with the amount of motorcycle-safety content aimed at car drivers in the handbooks.

As I understand it, whether it's legal or not is going to be up to the officer who sees it happen. Virtually nobody has a clear understanding of the legal situation, including LEOs.

I've had this happen and mostly take a "good for the gander" attitude towards it. I really don't see a lot of difference between that and cars merging into "my lane" while I'm using it or the customary three car train that rolls through a left turn after the light goes red. It all falls into the category of "seen it before, wish they didn't do it, but it's not worth a trip to the morgue."

In the end, it really doesn't matter whether you "tolerate" it or not. Heavy machinery beats indignant meat puppet every time.

Well, yesterday, I had another rider split my lane. I nearly took both of us out.

The rider, who stayed near my rear wheel, split up to just behind me. My lane allowed for going straight or turning right, while both lanes to my right were right-turn-only lanes. This moron, apparently ignoring my turn signal, blasted out straight on my right as I was turning right (from Harrison onto 9th, for those familiar with San Francisco.) I came very close to hitting his rear tire.

I had it happen to me last winter on a nice Feb. day. I was travelling down a four lane, in town, with a 45 mph speed limit. I myself was doing about 50 in the left lane overtaking some slower traffic. I checked my 6 in my mirrors and all I saw was a headlight. This idiot was only inches from my rear tire. I waived at him (using all fingers) to move back. He didn't, so when I was past the slower traffic, I signaled my lane change and looked over my right shoulder to clear the right lane. When I looked back in front of me, this jerk was driving right beside of me in my lane. The only thing that prevented me from going postal on him was the fact that there were two small towhead boys STANDING in the back floor. I didn't really want to show my tail with these small kids looking on. What really frosted me was that this dingleberry then just wanted to drive beside of me...he didn't pass and I hadn't sped up. He just wanted to drive along side of me. Needless to say, I did give him the evil eye and he should have been able to tell by my body language that I wasn't happy with him.

Two blocks down the road, I'm in the right lane at a traffic light, and this pointy headed goober pulls right up behind me again and stops only a foot from my tire. I had enough. I put the bike in neutral, and while looking over my shoulder walked the bike back until my topcase was over his hood and the rear tire was only about an inch from his front bumper. Then, I looked at him and asked him if that was where he wanted to be and if that spacing was o.k. for him. I contemplated just sitting there after the light turned green, but I thought better of it. I was having a good day, up 'til then, and I wasn't going to let this bozo ruin my good day of riding.

I feel your anger, my friend. Sometimes I feel a good length of chain would be nice to have.

You can quote the good book (vehicle code) all you want, I promise you if I as a police officer in California witnessed a car over-taking a motorcycle occupying the same lane, there would be at least a reckless on the car.

23103. (a) Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.

(b) Any person who drives any vehicle in any offstreet parking facility, as defined in subdivision © of Section 12500, in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.

© Persons convicted of the offense of reckless driving shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for not less than five days nor more than 90 days or by a fine of not less than one hundred forty-five dollars ($145) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment, except as provided in Section 23104.

Sorry pal, when I was working in law enforcement this would have stood like an oak in court. LEO’s are allowed to exercise common sense, just like a jury would, there are no law forbidding a bike to hold a wheelie across the Bay Bridge either, you think you could get away with that to in view of a cop.

There is a big difference between a car passing a bike in the same lane, and a bike passing a car, as expressed in this post.

(same source as you)

Yep, you're right. I too mentioned that reckless driving or other charges could apply in any otherwise legal manuever, if the LEO feels it's appropriate. The point is that lane sharing in itself is not against the law, whether it's a car or bike doing the sharing. That was the OP's question.

Hope you didn't take my post as inflammatory, Mike, I meant no disrespect, only trying to clarify.

What color's your VMax? There's a been a yellow one commuting around here for a long time. Great looking bike.

No problem, I like a good informative discussion.

The 97 color for the V-Max was platinum (silver).

Pic is from Yosemite, last year…

704020-mymax3.JPG.aafdf02c1f16199462b38fdaf3217ce1.JPG

beemerman2k

Yeah, no kidding. That's a sweet looking bike. I wonder if cars would pull next to me in my lane if I were on that bike?

Thanks all for the informative input. I appreciate it. In the future, I will have to actively protect my space so to speak, just like some cars will position themselves to discourage you from splitting the lane next to them.

Thanks guys…

The original plan was to sell the V-Max when I got the RT, but I can’t do it. I love my Max too much and they are very different bikes with very different abilities.

I still love it when some “kid” on a hoped-up 600 roles up next to me and gives me the once over, than blowing his doors off in a most heinous way. For whatever reason, most of these café kids don’t know not to mess with a Max. She hasn’t failed me even once in a straight race, but she handles like a truck in the corners.

The RT has surprised a lot of people that don’t know what they can do. Obviously I don’t go looking for a race on either, and frankly wouldn’t have a desire to challenge anyone on the RT, but people on sport bikes following me through the hills have always expressed their utter respect for the RT after following her through its paces.

So everyday I just want to go for a ride (not a long trip, that is RT territory), I have to make choice between shear raw power, or agile sweeping handling.

Choices choices choices… some days I just don’t know which one, ya know? If I had liked the new GT a little better, I guess I would have only one bike now.

704098-choices1.JPG.2cd6b67c9af8216d833efeb2d7b10a0d.JPG

Back in the young and stupid days I had a guy do this to me in city traffic so I kicked his door. He disappeared quickly. Expected some reprecussions but never heard another word.

Back in the young and stupid days I had a guy do this to me in city traffic so I kicked his door. He disappeared quickly. Expected some reprecussions but never heard another word.

He probably thought he had hit you and tried to make a getaway. Bet he didn't sleep very well that night.

Archived