IGNORED

Oil Additive R1100RT

bluepassat

Hi all

Any recommendations for oil additive for R1100RT boxer engine 1995 (slick 50) or similar and how much to use

Thanks in advance

Any recommendations for oil additive for R1100RT boxer engine 1995 (slick 50) or similar and how much to use
The correct amount to use is none.
The correct amount to use is none.

I will second that

Hi all

None at all. BMW (and all car/bike companies) recommends against additives. Oil companies recommend against additives. Is there a message there, perhaps??

NEVER use Slick 50! The stuff is basically a suspension of teflon particles and get mostly filtered out in the oil filter. The stuff doesn't even stay in suspension in the bottle; how is it supposed to stay in suspension in the motor??

Even DuPont (the manufacurer of their Teflon) has tried to cease selling the stuff to Slick 50, because DuPont stated in no uncertain terms that the claims made were bogus. Unfortunately this was overturned in court as an infringmemet of Slick 50's business.

But the point remains... The claims made for Slick 50 are bogus. Even the claim that Teflon reduces friction is totally false. The coefficient of friction between oiled surfaces is WAY lower than that between teflon surfaces. Further, the claim that teflon is "plated" onto the oily surfaces in an engine is proven to be ridiculous!

The final point to remember is that there is NO metal to metal contact in an operating engine in the first place (except for piston rings). All other rotating and sliding contacts are hydrodynamic. That means, the motion of the 2 surfaces causes a film of oil to be created between them, preventing metal to metal contact. If that contact were ever to occur, the engine would be toast almost instantly... teflon or no teflon!

Use a good quality oil, and forget about adding Snake OIl to it.

Bob.

Straight 10W40 Snake Oil might be better than Slick 50.

The ONLY oil additive I have ever recommended is Shaler Rislone. This was recommended to a boxer owner who had a serious sludge problem due to poor engine maintenance. Rislone is helpful in limited doses in freeing up and cleaning out sludged engines.

Unless your engine has suffered from long periods of un-use or the oil has not been changed for a long time, I side with the others here who recommend nothing.

Teflon is especially harmful in that it may plate out on parts that need to retain oil.

Teflon, as we know, is a non-stick material that causes oil to shed from surfaces where is needed during that next cold start or by some other critical friction surface like cam lobes.

Under no circumstances should you ever put Teflon in your engine.

But, your question is an interesting one......why do you think you need an oil additive? Is there some underlying reason you believe your boxer would benefit from some sort of additive?

Straight 10W40 Snake Oil might be better than Slick 50.

Actually, I do use Snake Oil. Only thing bad about it is catching all those snakes...hardy har har.... grin.gif

But, your question is an interesting one......why do you think you need an oil additive? Is there some underlying reason you believe your boxer would benefit from some sort of additive?

Hi DEF

I only asked if anyone would recommend an additive as this is the first 2 cylinder bike I have owned and its totally different to my Japanese 4 cylinder engine and I want to make sure I look after it

Anything I need to know about these engines??

John Dickens

Anything I need to know about these engines?

Just stick to the service intervals and use good quality lubricants of the specified grades.

Yes. Treated with normal maintenance, they last forever! It is the norm to see BMWs with way over 150,000 miles on them. Try that with your average product from the far east!

In fact, just last evening, I did a compression test on my '86 K100RT. All 4 cylinders were as good as new, and all were within 3psi of each other. The bike also uses no oil whatsoever. Not bad for a 20 year old bike that has almost 200,000 km (125,000 miles), and which has been ridden from North Europe to India and back.

All that with no oil additives either grin.gif

Bob.

Yes, the boxer responds well to long rides at highway speeds. Also, valve lash adjustments done accurately will reap big benefits. Also, the occasional TB sync will help.

Finally, keep the DOT4 fresh.

Other than that, ride it like you would any other bike and enjoy one of the best motorcycles ever made.

Thanks DEF

For the info I m picking up some good advice off you all please keep em coming I m making a list of things to check LOL

Regards bluepassat

Def hit the nail on the head. Slick 50 was great marketing, product sucked. Use a good quality oil such as Amsoil or Mobil 1

Archived