IGNORED

Canbus Issue?

rickmoen

I'm riding an '05 R1200RT with a dealer installed Nav II and an XM radio (SkyFi2) that is currently plugged into the bike's accessory socket for power. (Autocom gets installed next week!) As soon as I turn the key on, the GPS powers up and starts looking for satelites and if the XM radio is on, it powers up, too. I wait for the bike to go through its checks and for the yellow SET light to go off (as instructed to do by my dealer). When I push the start button, both units go off. (I assume all of the electons are sent to the starter.) After the engine starts, most of the time both units come back on and do their own startup sequence from the beginning of their sequence. That's fine. But sometimes, neither unit comes back on after the engine starts. Obviously (I think), no power. When this happens, it is always both units that refuse to powerup. The only solution is the shut the bike off for a bit (wait 10 - 15 seconds or so) and then restart. Most of the time, only one restart is needed for both units to come on, but, once it took four restarts to get the GPS and XM radio to startup. I'm asumming that this is a Canbus issue that I have no control over except hope and pray each time I start the bike. Perhaps someone in the forum has a suggestion or solution. Thanks, as usual, for the collective wisdom of the group!

Rick

I had this problem with my Roady2. I assumed it was due to the CanBus either not liking the immediate draw, or not recognizing the insignificant draw. Solved it by going to a permanant wire to the fuse panel.

Mike

`05 R1200RT

Putting in a fuse block will quickly resolve your problem, preventing the potential Can-Bus gremlins from rearing their ugly heads.

I have seen some faulty software in BMS-K's ( your bikes "central nervous system ) and even some BMS-K's that required replacement. Some software versions are playing tricks with the auxillary power sockets and delivery sources, yielding scenarios like your experiencing. I have seen some GPS's ( wired through BMW harness ) that power down or dim-out because of software glitches.

Check with your dealer, or PM me for info on how to get the fuse block if you don't have a quick resource for it, it'll save you alot of hassle and time! thumbsup.gif

duckbubbles

Was your bike in the shop within the past few months and had a computer update done to it? The last update package has a problem with the accessory sockets not recognizing the light load draw from things like GPS and radar detectors and shutting off. I am one of the victims and am still waiting for something to fix that. I am considering a resistor between the two accesory leads to create a larger load to keep it on. A switched wire system has been used by many to fix this also.

Frank

The bike was in the shop in late March / early April for the 600 mile service (and presumeably software updates). Actual miles were about 775 miles. There are now about 2k miles. The XM radio went on the bike in mid April. I didn't really notice the problem until mid May and it seems to be ocurring more often now. Rick

The last update package has a problem with the accessory sockets not recognizing the light load draw from things like GPS and radar detectors and shutting off.

Frank

Yea, I believe the XM's are 6v ( there's probably a step-down convertor taking power supply from 12V to 6V ), so it may not be pulling enough to keep the power supply actuve. I've seen this with some heated clothing when switched on low to med settings.

Fuse block that baby! clap.gif

Go to Best Buy and get a hard wire kit for your XM. I had a ongoing problem with the accy. plug as it kept shutting down the Roady 2. I wired it directly to a centech fuse panel and no more shut offs for no damn good reason clap.gif BTW Best buy is selling this kit for 20 bucks.

Go to Best Buy and get a hard wire kit for your XM. I had a ongoing problem with the accy. plug as it kept shutting down the Roady 2. I wired it directly to a centech fuse panel and no more shut offs for no damn good reason clap.gif BTW Best buy is selling this kit for 20 bucks.

I second the motion. I bought all the stuff for my Roady 2 at MyRadioStore.com. Hardwired all my gear (XM, V1, GPS) to a fused switched harness. Stay away from the Acc port for anything. Too goofy.

Looks like the jury has spoken and I need to install a fuse block! Searching around the web, I'm finding a Centec AP-1 as a unit sold by many vendors. The cost runs about $50. Anyone have experience with this unit or recommend another? Is this something an electrical novice can install? Thank you in advance.

Rick

rick,

I can't imagine that you are any more a novice than I am when it comes to all things electrical. That said, I installed an AP-1 (and the relay that Centech sells to go with it) on my new K1200GT. It couldn't have been easier and I am very pleased with the results. I powered the relay from the parking light using this. I am running my Autocomm, GPS and V1 from the Centech with no apparent complaint from the CANbus. Hope this helps.

Excuse me, but at my advanced age, every time I see the title of this thread I read: Canibus Issue. Anyone else? Buehler? Buehler?

Excuse me, but at my advanced age, every time I see the title of this thread I read: Canibus Issue. Anyone else? Buehler? Buehler?

clap.gifthumbsup.gif

Archived