IGNORED

Backfiring and runs rough at constant speed

JohnnyM

I have a 99' 1100rt with 57k miles. I have had the bike for about 3 weeks. The previous owner said the oil would need changed and valves adjusted at 57k. When I am crusing at any speed it seems to be skipping or running rough and when I decelerate it backfires (aferfires). Any suggestions

Ditto, or loose spark plug wire (following valve adj) or poor fuel supply (due to a never changed fuel filter) or old gas if it has been sitting a long time.

I have the same issues, on my 99 1100gs, and I have only 4500 mi. It also has an aftermarket pipe on it (2 Brothers). I suspect it is running lean due to the pipe, is this an adjustment i can do at home?

Al Navecky Jr
I have the same issues, on my 99 1100gs, and I have only 4500 mi. It also has an aftermarket pipe on it (2 Brothers). I suspect it is running lean due to the pipe, is this an adjustment i can do at home?

Yes with a Power Commander.

No_Twilight

Hmmmm. I see a lot of suggestions here on whey it might be running rough but most of them are inconsistent with the backfiring symptom. If any of you think your suggestion IS consistent with backfiring then let me know your thinking.

I too have minor backfiring occasionally and I think it is likely from running rich, rather than lean. And I'm starting to suspect that it might be the oxygen sensor. When the O2 sensor fails it is my understanding that the motronic fails rich so you can keep riding. Does this sound right to those of you who know the motronic better than I?

--Jerry

If you are running rich, it can be checked by inspecting the spark plugs.

BTW, how much does an O2 sensor cost?

Chris...

Johnny:

There are lots of things that can cause rough riding or backfiring. These symptoms may, or may not, be related to the same cause.

As I understand it, you've had the bike for only 3 weeks. How was it running when you first rode it? Do you have records on the bike (i.e., last tune up, what was done, service, etc., etc.)?

Assuming you have no records available, I would suggest first, tuning up the bike including: valve adjustment, check for air leaks around throttle bodies as others have suggested, check throttle cable connections, read plugs, synching throttle & maybe zero=zero adjustment (lots of threads on that) etc., etc.).

This will likely resolve your problem(s)...or at least one of the symptoms. If not, then the diagnosis gets fun/tricky.

In any case, this approach attacks the easiest and least expensive issues first. Even if the problem is not solved doing the above, you'd need to be sure about them before another solution would work.

I hope this helps a bit.

Archived