IGNORED

Good mail order parts in US?

bwr

And of course there's the famous/infamous Chicago BMW (www.chicagobmwmotorcycle.com). 20% off list price on all parts orders but also some reports of occasional 'lazy' service.

DavidEBSmith

Max BMW and A&S BMW both have online stores. Max is particularly well regarded by riders in the eastern US.

Chicago BMW has the best prices on BMW parts - 20% off. Call, don't use the online ordering system.

As mentioned before, Chicago BMW has the best prices, but call first to make sure they have what you want in stock. If they have to special order from BMW, your looking at 3-5 weeks.

Bobs and Hammersley are also good, as is Max BMW. They carry more stuff in stock than Chicago, but prices are a little higher to compensate and you will run into the same problem if they need to special order anything from BMW (though still faster than Chicago).

If parts are time critical, nothing beats a well stocked BMW dealer's walk-in parts department, even if they are 3 hours away!

DR

nothing beats a well stocked BMW dealer's walk-in parts department
Such a thing exists..?

Hmm... Maybe I was just taking it for granted, but out here in SoCal, Irv Seaver seems to keep quite an extensive parts inventory on hand. During my transmission rebuild I made several trips up there to pick up an odd seal, o-ring, or bearing I had forgotten to order or buggered up during installation. Other than a really specialized part such as a new transmission input shaft, they seem to keep most parts in stock. I would think any service shop that does allot of maintenance would be dependent on ready access to parts.

Maybe its because Seaver does so much work on CHP and Sheriff's M/C's?

Are other local dealerships around the country significantly different?

Are other local dealerships around the country significantly different?
A dealer stocking internal transmission parts? Wow. The last time (and I do mean the last time) I looked to a BMW dealer for a part they didn't even stock the fork seal I needed. But 'they could get it for me'... smirk.gif

To be fair I don't see BMW as being any better or worse than any other brand, it's just been my experience that I am not likely to find anything but the most common items actually in stock at a dealer parts counter. Maybe I've just had unusually bad luck.

Such a thing exists..?

I'm lucky to be able to get an oil filter. clap.gif

Such a thing exists..?

San Diego, Both dealers, if not a common part, it is three days to be in the shop!

I have gotten parts for the "usual" maintenance.

Agreed

http://www.ascycles.com/

I've also used Sierra BMW's for mail orders...

http://www.sierrabmw.com

A&S is the second largest BMW Motorcycle shop in the nation, but believe it or not Sierra had stuff on the shelf that A&S would have had to order (in my case plug-in power adapter).

Depending on what you are looking for, the best online bike store for most things can be found at http://www.casporttouring.com

he will price match many things, or outright have the lowest prices period.

Hope this helps... thumbsup.gif

As others mentioned, Bobs is good and Chicago has good prices.

Recently Bike Bandit started selling BMW parts. Nice if you also need to get OEM parts for other bikes at the same time. Prices are similar to Chicago BMW.

If you need oil filters and crush washers, Beemer Boneyard has those under the 'new parts' tab. Pretty good prices - especially if you get the six pack.

313-Matt

San Diego, Both dealers, if not a common part, it is three days to be in the shop!

I have gotten parts for the "usual" maintenance.

I had similar good luck with Portland Motorcycle company. I phone-ordered a set of main bearings for my '86 K100RT a couple of years ago. I never expected them to be in stock, and they weren't, of course, since this is an old bike.

But right on the phone, the parts guy verified that some of the bearing shells were in stock at BMW USA, but the rest would have to come from Germany. He said it would be a couple of weeks. Yeah, Right!!

I ordered them anyway. And 2 weeks later, they were shipped!! Shock and disbelief!! When I received them, it was clear that some of the parts did indeed come direct from Germany!

I was VERY impressed!!

Bob.

Al Navecky Jr
And of course there's the famous/infamous Chicago BMW (www.chicagobmwmotorcycle.com). 20% off list price on all parts orders but also some reports of occasional 'lazy' service.

It has been over 4 weeks and i have not got my parts. need to call them today.

It has been over 4 weeks and i have not got my parts. need to call them today.

Unfortunately, I can sympathize. Ten bucks says you get the standard response: "Oh, I think your parts just came in the new shipment from BMW today. I haven't opened the box in the back yet, I'll put a sticky note on my screen to remind me you called". I think I heard that one about 5 times before my stuff finally showed up. crazy.gif

Archived