IGNORED

Satellite Radio Setup Options

gglaw

Looking to install an XM radio. Curious about various setup options used on R1100RT's. Which unit is good for a bike? Any waterproof? Antenna/location? Mounts/security?

I had an XM Roady2, but it would not stay in its cradle. Got an XM SkyFi2 and it is performing super! For mounts, I just called CycleGadgets and they were very helpful in putting together a RAM mounting system that works very well. I do lose satelite signal, however, when the bike is in the garage, in a downtown area with tall buildings, or when traveling through deep road cuts. Overall, I'm still quite happy with the setup.

My Roady2 setup works beautifully.

That said, the guys a cyclegadgets gave me some additional advice:

Rather than trying to mount the 'vent' cradle to the bracket, mount the 'c' clip that snaps directly to the back of the Roady2.

This eliminated all stability issues. Changed the display color to orange to match my R12RT display.

Mike

I use 3M Dual Lock on my Roady 2, V1, and EX Pass Toll tag on the ST. The stuff holds tight as hell and all you need are two flat surfaces. If the RT has the same reservoirs as my old R1150R, there is a nice little mount from MyRadioStore.com that bolts onto those screws. The radio sits at a bit of an angle, and the mount has a horizontal surface for your antenna. IIRC it's about $30. They also sell a short (12") antenna as well.

Don't forget the 12>6 v power supply.

I have a Roady 2 mounted to a left handle bar riser bolt with the RAM mount system (all obtainable thru Cycle Gadgets). I can adjust it so it does not obstruct my view of instruments. My antenna sits on top of my tank bag anchored by the antenna magnet sticking to a small piece of sheet metal under the top layer of the tank bag. It works great for me! clap.gif

Get a GPS with XM radio and consolidate if money is not an object. I have the 2730 with XM and Mp3 player. Totally waterproof and one component. Don't have to deal with covering up in the rain. I wouldn't travel any other way. The XM screen is like a real stereo with tons of features for looking for favorite songs, etc and it is color for night riding (which I do try to avoid when possible)

Thanks for the suggestions. I am thinking about the Roady XT using helmet speakers. Next question: is an amplifier necessary or will helmet speakers work sufficiently alone?

Bad reviews on the Roady XT because of the cradle it sits in ... most forum members (and those who sell Roady XM radios to motorcyclists) highly recommend the older Roady 2 model because of the design of the cradle it is snapped into. FWIW cool.gif

I just installed a Sirius Replay GTR on my K1200R. I used the Ztechnik handlebar mount on the left side, bolted the Cyclegadgets "Roady" holder to it, and clipped the replay into a baseplate that bolted onto the roady holder. Looks decent. Now, I just need to give it power.

Apparently, there is such a thing as a Ground Loop Isolator that is important in terms of having a noise free installation. What this is exactly (something that filters the incoming 12V line, or something that filters the earphone out, or what) I'm not entirely sure.

This is the way I mounted my Sirius Sportster Replay, I think Sirius has better programing than XM. If you are going to install a headphone jack in your BMW radio look for my post here for all you need to know about hooking up an isolation transformer.
dave_albany

Would one of the new handheld Satellite units work ?- looks and acts like a MP3 as well. I was thinking just to place it in the tank bag like my MP3. If the reception was a issue would just mount the low profile atenna,

I use the Pioneer INNO, plugged into my Autocom system. I get live XM or recorded XM/MP3 (50 hours/1Gb disk). Good audio and, when mounted on my R1200RT shelf, no fadeouts. Battery lasts longer when listening to recorded tunes rather than live XM. I give the remote to my Pillion and we're off.

77794606-M.jpg

This is how I mounted my Sirius X-ACT radio. I like it as it is easy to read in most light conditions and the buttons are big enough to use with gloves.

I used a home made plate to adapt the car mount. I had the local stereo shop hard wire it in along with mounting the antenna

77794659-M.jpg

Works great with my custom earphones from AZ AL.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...

The result of all of the advice given after starting this thread: I bought a Roady XT and Hoon mount, also helmet speakers and in-line volume control. Adjusted the XT output level to max. The result was nearly perfect. Volume control is a must. Sound was much better than I had expected. Antenna fits nicely on the metal top of the mount. I will purchase an antenna with a 1 foot cord to get rid of all of the extra cord. I have a GPS and now the Roady plugged into to a two-headed cigarette plug.

The only down side is one mentioned earlier in this thread: the XT has a tendency to move from its resting position in the cradle. No real fear of the XT flying away, but with bumps and riding, the right end of the unit will rise slightly out of its place, just a couple of millimeters, but enough to cause loss of electrical contact. The only real solution I can think of is a rubber band. Upside, that would remove the rise and any chance of the unit flying away. Downside, a rubber band.

I rode for about 2 hours, and the XT rose 2 times. It is really not a bid deal - just a slight push down and hit the power button again.

XT buttons are a little small for gloved fingers. Need to resist channel surfing anyway - loss of riding concentration.

Overall very happy with the setup.

The only down side is one mentioned earlier in this thread: the XT has a tendency to move from its resting position in the cradle. No real fear of the XT flying away, but with bumps and riding, the right end of the unit will rise slightly out of its place, just a couple of millimeters, but enough to cause loss of electrical contact. The only real solution I can think of is a rubber band. Upside, that would remove the rise and any chance of the unit flying away. Downside, a rubber band.

I rode for about 2 hours, and the XT rose 2 times. It is really not a bid deal - just a slight push down and hit the power button again.

XT buttons are a little small for gloved fingers. Need to resist channel surfing anyway - loss of riding concentration.

Overall very happy with the setup.

I used zip ties (2) cinched to the max to try and keep the XT mounted in the cradle. It didn't work. I expoxied it to the cradle and it broke lose. I pulled out the arc welder and laid a 6 inch bead and it still broke lose. Take it back now the XT sucks for motorcycle applications.

• 1 year later...

I've used a roady XT on my bikes for 3 years without a problem. I have riden from Vegas to Sturgis and back and all around the western US without the unit budging from the mount. The key is to fabricate a clip that applies pressure on top of the receiver unit forcing it down into the cradle. Have this system on my K1200R and had it on my Vstrom. I will soon be mounting a cradle on my RT too! Great unit; small and unobtrusive. thumbsup.gif

Archived