IGNORED

RT-P Tranny removal project-removing crash bar support bar?

RTP Rider

Well I finally dug into my project bike over the last few weeks. I've had an extra '99 R1100 RT-P which I purchased cheap with a bad second gear problem.

I picked up (what I hope to be) a decent low milage replacement transmission, and I'm in the process of removing the broken transmission for bench repair.

I've been following the steps in the spline lube video, and am really at the point where I'm ready to jack the rear of the bike up and drop the transmission.

Unlike the civillian models, there's a support bar attached to the rear of the transmission which the side crash bar supports are attached. I'm not sure exactly how to remove this, and I'm guessing that it has to come off in order for the transmission to slide out.

I'm attaching a picture of the right side of the bar. Note that on the left side, there's a spring attached to a post on the transmission. How they got this on in the first place is a mystery too!

Anyone else faced this challenge?

Do I have to remove the side stand and springs to get this off?

Thanks for any help.

BTW, I highly recommend the spline lube video for any transmission work. I was able to create a punch list from the video which has proven invaluable.

701856-r1100rtp_bar1_mod3.jpg.efc51dea1f160abf803f7524c3eabf88.jpg

Hey RTP Rider, good to see that you're back to the tranny project. Right now you're facing the exact same problem that I faced last fall when replacing my gearbox.

That crashbar mounting flange is a real pain in the arse, and it greatly increases the work required to pull the gearbox. I had to get somewhat creative. You'll have to remove the centerstand springs, since the flange plate will need to slide over those tabs. (the springs were bent somewhat during removal, so I replaced them...at least they're cheap). If I recall correctly, I also had to disassemble the sidestand attach assembly as well. You have to do that to access the big hex bolt on the left side. Then I used two jacks under the crankcase to take the weight off the centerstand. One jack just wasn't stable enough, better use two. The centerstand has to be movable so you can remove the big hex bolts on either side of the flange. You'll see why once you get that far into it...but you don't have to touch the actual centerstand pivot bolts. Once you remove the big hex bolts, you can remove the bottom two gearbox bolts and slide the flange plate out of the way. Then you can gently lower the jacks and put the weight back on the centerstand to proceed with the rest of the gearbox removal. At that point, it's just like any other civilian RT. Clear as mud? dopeslap.gif

If you have any questions, PM me.

Thanks for the howto! I was waiting for your response as I knew you had faced the same challenge!

It does seem clear. My bike is up on a lift and I have a decent scissor jack which I think will do the job... though I don't relish the thought of jacking the bike off the center stand at this point!

I'm also assuming you removed the two chrome crash bar supports before you removed that flange?

I think today is tranny removal day if I can get through all this.. jacked the rear of the bike up last night and pulled the airbox etc....

Then I have to get it ALL back together!!!

Got the tranny removed last night!

clap.gif

The flange was a BEAR to deal with. I'm not sure I followed the process completely. I couldn't figure out how to remove the side stand (can you post a howto on this?).

I had JUST enough clearance to remove the left large flange bolt beneath the side stand housing with an Allen wrench. On reassembly I won't have enough room to use a socket, so I'm worried about proper torqueing. That's why I may still have to remove the side stand (and need the howto).

Once the flange bolts were removed, and the lower transmission mount bolts removed, I could tilt the flange back with enough clearance to remove the tranny.

The only hang up I had was two large wires in front of the left top transmission support (with the rubber dampers/battery box screws). Had to work those around the post to remove the tranny.

I'm now shifting to the reassembly phase and am off to find the Honda spline lube!

I'm attaching a picture of the R1100 RT-P on the lift with the tranny removed (and my cluttered space smile.gif ).

You can see the removed tranny on the rear of the lift, and the scissor jack I used to elevate the bike to get pressure off the flange bolts from the center stand (PS THAT was interesting!!).

Thanks for your help and I'll keep you posted!

702467-r1100_tranny_removed_mod1.jpg.e631acfd6e425b4057d63ed2caedc340.jpg

Nice work on getting the gearbox off! As far as removing the sidestand, the RTPs have some additional parts that make up the 'locking sidestand'. I removed the sidestand springs and a bolt that holds a metal plate over the sidestand hinge area. Then I was able to remove the actual sidestand pivot bolt. With those parts out of the way, I had easy access to the big hex bolt that holds the flange on.

I don't have the bike in front of me for reference, but that's how it worked out for me to the best of my recollection. Let me know if you have any other questions. thumbsup.gif

Archived