IGNORED

Stuck in Denver - Bad idle / stalling

DavidEBSmith

DavidEBSmith

Yes, I'm being bad and cross-posting from the Gunnison thread. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

The bike won't idle for crap. It keeps wanting to stall every time I stop, unless I rev the throttle or leave the fast idle on. At idle, it mumbles and grumbles and the idle speed jumps up and down. However, off idle, it runs fine. I started past Denver on 285 and turned around and went back, and it pulled up the grades with no problem.

Ideas? I first noticed it after getting gas at a station where I noticed too late that the tanker truck was unloading. But I've gotten another tank since then, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. If it was a clogged fuel filter or bad gas, wouldn't I expect to see the opposite symptoms - OK idle and bogging at speed?

Throttle cable stretched? It doesn't feel stiff as if strands were breaking. If anything, it feels a bit slack. One of the cable adjustments loosened up?

Unless anyone has any great ideas, I'll probably try to mess around with it tonight, and then take it to one of the local dealers in the morning. Any suggestions (PM if you don't want to say it in public) about which shops are OK and which to avoid?

I'm going to try a few suggestions for you. Who knows if any of these will help, but it's what I would check:

1) Make sure fuel injectors are plugged in tightly. If one is loose, it'll do just what you are experiencing.

2) Check the vacuum hoses and seals around the TB units.

3) Make sure spark plugs are tightly seated.

4) You know the barrel part of the device that the throttle cable rolls onto? If there's a little pebble stuck in there, it'll do different things to the sync based on where you are in the continuum between idle and WOT.

Jerry Johnston

I'll be the first to offer an opinion OK now the 4th). It sounds like your starving for gas and the 1st thing I'd suspect is the fuel filter being plugged up. My second guess would be the fuel pump but not likely.

Best of luck to you finding the problem.

I had a similar problem. It was a tiny pebble lodged way down in the throttlebody pulley. I needed a bright flashlight to see it and a very small pair of pointed tweezers to remove it---took a while to find it. Good luck, Jay

Mine did the same thing as you describe for about a month prior to my last servicing. Wouldn't idle worth a darn but ran like a champ once it was going. I had to rev to about 2500 rpm at each stop just to keep the bike running. The dealer fixed the problem during my servicing and said the problem was that a vacuum hose had come off the left throttle body. I'm not sure how a vacuum hose just comes off but the problem is now gone. Good luck.

Make sure the sleeve for the throttle cable is properly seated at the engine end. one time I was tracing wires and tugged on the throttle cable in the process, unseating the end of the sleeve, caused similar problems and fortunately I found the solution in a post on this site. Thanks guys.

DavidEBSmith

Worse than a little pebble is getting the fuel line to the external filter stuck between the stop and the bell crank. eek.gif All better now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Worse than a little pebble is getting the fuel line to the external filter stuck between the stop and the bell crank. eek.gif All better now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ah. Bell crank. That's what I was trying to name.

At least I won the prize! smile.gif

Glad to see you are back on the road. thumbsup.gif

Archived