IGNORED

BMW R1100RT owners

bluepassat

Hi all

This is my first post… I have recently purchased a 1995 BMW R1100RT that has done 32,000 miles I have noticed and maybe this is normal?

1 At slow speeds the handlebars wobble very slightly is this due to the bike being a 2 cylinder?

2 Also when pulling away I have heard a cluck as the drive picks up (only done this twice) is this anything to worry about

3 at speed 70-80 mph the bike feel as it’s surging very slightly? I have put this down to the wind as it has a taller screen than normal

4 are the 2 cylinder engines more noisy and tappet sounding? As I am used to a 4 cylinder engine

5 any common faults or anything to look out for?

Any advice or suggestion would be appreciated

Kind regards

New BMW owner

Hi all

This is my first post…

Welcome to the board, it would be nice if you could fill out your profile so that we know who we are talking to.
I have recently purchased a 1995 BMW R1100RT that has done 32,000 miles I have noticed and maybe this is normal?

1 At slow speeds the handlebars wobble very slightly is this due to the bike being a 2 cylinder?

Not normal, most likely reason is the tyres - how old or worn are they? What is a slow speed? Was it windy? Your large windshield might cause the problem there.
2 Also when pulling away I have heard a cluck as the drive picks up (only done this twice) is this anything to worry about
The transmission is definitely agricultural, hard to diagnose from your description, probably best to find another rider to listen to it.

3 at speed 70-80 mph the bike feel as it’s surging very slightly? I have put this down to the wind as it has a taller screen than normal

Shouldn't do that, does it still surge when you drop down a gear at those speeds? You probably already know about the surging issues with this motor, there are many posts here with suggestions.
4 are the 2 cylinder engines more noisy and tappet sounding? As I am used to a 4 cylinder engine
Yes the engine is definitely much noisier than the typical Japanese 4, the valves are out on the end of the jugs with nothing to shield their activity. The good news is that adjusting the valves is simple and if they are very noisy, and given point 3, you might want to take a look.
There are lots of small things but nothing disastrous generally, you should read here for a while to get an idea. Don't Panic. Remember that people only speak up when things go wrong, hardly anybody says "you know, my bike has been running great for years...".

Welcome aboard my friend! You'll find the folks here and invaluable resource. I don't know what I would do without them. Also, feel free to fill out your personal info. We don't bite. Most of the time.

A: This could be your tires. How slow is slow speed? The bike will pull a little to the right as the transmission slows you down. It is a big bike and a bit of a pig at slow speeds and you really shouldn't be going slow anyhoo.

A: the ABS servos will click as you start going from a stop. But that should happen all the time.

A: Mine does the same thing, usually when I'm going down hill. I've put it to the bike rocking on and off the transmition. Like the engine is pushing you ahead of itself. Does that make sense?

A:I have heard the noise described as "tractor like" and "agricultural" I like to think of it as a "walk soft but cary a big stick" sound. It's not a rev up at the stop light kind of engine.

A: Yea, ride with your visor down or you'll be picking bugs out of your teath due to the chronic shit eating grin common to the RT's

Thanks guys

Any more input would be more that welcome…. I have just purchased this bike from a private sale and I have only done 280 miles on it so far

(Brand new tyres fitted about 500 miles ago)

My other bike is a 1992 Honda CBR 600FN 4 cylinder engine which is totally different to the BMW

The handlebar wobble I noticed when I was resting my left hand (clutch) after riding for about an hour the speed was about 20-30mph and very slight in slow traffic down a hill

Both times I heard the clunk was when the bike was just started from cold away in first gear (sounds logical about the ABS servo)

I have been to France twice on my Honda its not very comfortable hence the purchase of the BMW R1100RT

I would double check the tire pressures for the wobble. Also check that the axle bolt and the pinchbolts are tight. And place some sort of stationary pointer near the outer edge of the rim while rotating the wheel to see if it is bent.

Hi i have checked the pressures all ok the bolts are all tight and the wheel is straight do you think my extra tall screen may have an effect? or can you think of anything else (the tyres are almost brand new BT020) and its only very slight side to side movement (slight shake)

thanks in advance

Handlebar Wobble.

I had that same wobble, I found that the Michelin Macadam tires had developed a ridge. The bike wobbled as it went over this ridge.

Changed front tire solved problem.

Rick

Stan Walker

the tyres are almost brand new BT020

BT020 tires don't like groves in the road. Here in the US they cut rain groves (parallel slots) in the roadway and that will cause BT020's to do a little dance at some speeds. Do they do that where you are too? If so, try different tires.

Stan

Look at the front tire to see that it is rotating the proper way. I had bought a new krs in 87 and the dealer put the wheel on the wrong way. Check the rear swingarm. Maybe something is loose or worn. Do a search here, there is a lot of info on this. It's probably nothing much to worry about, however it's best to cover all bases.

Clive Liddell

All the front tyres on my RT have been BT-54's and I fit and balance them myself: Three of them have been fine and two have had the exact problem you mention - I am sure your problem is tyres. However there was never anything "different" like runout or uneveness in the ones that wobbled at ~60km/h

5) Any common faults or anything to look out for?

When I was having my throttle cables + distribution box + fast idle cable change out, the BMW mechanic called me out in the shop and showed me the underside of the master cylinder. The paint was all worn off. He said that was a sign of a leaking master cylinder. He then took out the screw that holds this little plastic cover on the front master cylinder and showed me brake fluid inside the cover. The mechanic told me that the prior owner had not adhered to the yearly mandatory brake fluid flush. I ordered a front master cylinder from Chicago BMW (approx. cost $200) and the labor to install it was $140 (2 hours). I would do a brake fluid flush and make sure you do it yearly. You can do a search and find some good tips on how to do it. Some guys with lot better mechanical ability than myself have rebuilt the front master cylinder using a kit. Start yourself a BMW notebook where you can write down what you did and when, along with some folders where you can save every receipt related to the bike. On the top of the receipt, I write in pen what the receipt was for, the price, and the date. Why? Because some receipts fade over time and become hard to read.

Hi bluepassat. I've had this as well. I'd describe it more as "ding ding ding ding clunk". It only happens occasionally but the common event is pulling away in first from stationary will low revs and slipping the clutch a fair while. It never occurs from a roling start of when I use more revs to pull away. I figured it was the clutch protesting.

Does "ding ding ding ding clunk" sound familiar to anyone else?

I think the clunk is the ABS. (They all do that.) I think the wobble is the tires. I had the same problem with the Battle axes. Look for cupping on the front tread edges.

Hi sinzuber

I been told it’s the ABS servos?? Makes sense as its only made the sound when first setting off from cold, as you may be aware the ABS light goes off when you first pull away …. Mines more of a click

I have only just purchase this bike and am still getting used to it. Does your engine shake rattle and vibrate? I’m still not used to a 2 cylinder, my other bike is a Honda CBR 600 4 cylinder but this has to go, as it’s getting too uncomfortable

Regards bluepassat

Thanks wolcott

For the info I m picking up some good advice off you all please keep em coming

Regards bluepassat

Does your engine shake rattle and vibrate?

Yes, that's how you know it's running. And the oilheads are smooth compared to the more agricultural airheads. I've just moved up from airhead to oilhead and am glad to experience some of the characteristics of the earlier machine. Ahh Boxers! You can't compare much with inline 4 Japanese bikes.

Archived