IGNORED

R1150RT, E Gear, RPMs ????????

Softtail

A while back, I started a thread about E gear and pinging. Based on the replies to this post, there is a wide range of opinions as to how one should ride an RT. There are those who "Doodle" along in 6th at 2600, and those riders like myself, who hardly ever use 6th and try to keep the rpms around 4100 (5th) when crusing at speeds below 75 mph. The opinions are so varied that every one can't be right!! I have had more than one BMW mechanic tell me that my RT was never ment to be ridden in 6th at rpms below 41-4200. Infact, they all say rev the piss out of the RT, it will love you for it. And now I am reading about folks "doodleing" along in 6th at under 3000 rpms. Are the doodlers going to farg something up? Who is right here, and or is there a right way to ride an RT? You sure can't find out by looking at a BMW owners manual!!<<<Softtail>>> dopeslap.gif

If I were you, I would ride it the way you like.

I ride my GS (different gearing) at 2500 RPM in 6th gear all the time.

But, your gearing is different.

I previously replied that I believed you were revving the engine unecessarily.

Either way, you're not going to harm anything...you'll just use a bit more oil and fuel using your riding style.

I like to work the boxer at low RPMs....where it is very happy and not lugging. When I am at 60MPH and wish to pass, I don't change from 6th gear...I merely roll on the throttle.

At 4000 RPM, my GS is at about 90MPH in 6th gear.

Judge accordingly.

I made a comment to a friend of mine on Friday after recieving a "performance award" in Texarkana, AR. I told him that "Sixth gear stands for ticket". The RT runs about right and sweet at right around 3500, or approx. 80...good for an expensive ticket.

Dammit.

Does anyone know of a way to disable sixth gear? Just kidding. Sort of.

I very rarely make 6th gear. Its only really for motorway cruising in my opinion and as I prefer to take the twisty routes from A to B so I tend to be using 3rd, 4th and 5th, mostly 3rd and 4th. I haven't found fuel economy suffering too much but I know the bike is so much more responsive in the lower gears and suits my style of riding more. It's horses for courses I guess.

Out of interest - Is the 6 speed 1150RT gearbox a 5 speed 1100RT box with an extra gear or are the ratio's different?

I made a comment to a friend of mine on Friday after recieving a "performance award" in Texarkana, AR. I told him that "Sixth gear stands for ticket". The RT runs about right and sweet at right around 3500, or approx. 80...good for an expensive ticket.

Dammit.

Does anyone know of a way to disable sixth gear? Just kidding. Sort of.

went from riding my suzuki SV..naked version....which you feel each and every mile per hour you do...lol rode this bad boy down 95 here in Va...and well just keeping pace with traffic...windshield up....a car or two pass me..I look to see my speed..putting along in 6th at 90!!!!!! lol Id be holding on for dear life in 6th on the SV...yeah, 6th gear is very dangerous LOL

ShovelStrokeEd

I tend to be in the rev it camp. I'm not talking about screaming the motor at 7K RPM everywhere but, in general, I keep my revs above 3K RPM at all times except when stopped or riding in really slow traffic. Highway travel for me often finds me in and around 5K RPM. There is a bit of annoying (to me) vibration in the 4200 to 4600 range and rather than poop along, I prefer to ride over that rev range. 60 mph will often find me in fourth or fifth gear on the S. BTW, 5000 RPM gives 92 mph indicated, 83 mph GPS, on my 1100S. About the same on the Blackbird for which 5K RPM is really on the low side.

I do pay a bit of a milage penalty for this but not, for the engine RPM but rather the speed. The best tank of gas I ever got on my 1100S was when riding the Blue Ridge Parkway, in third gear almost the whole time, revs at around 4K RPM, speeds 45 to 55 mph and 209 miles in 4.7 gallons for about 45 mpg. In general, I get right around 40 mpg riding at 5K rpm in 6th. It can vary depending on the length of time I have been riding on the freeway as it takes a tank or so of gas to over-ride the "learned" riding habits in the Motronic.

I am with you on this one. I am new to BMW( just bought a used 2003 1150RT) and was not happy with the way it was running. Took it to the best local BMW wrench and after going through the entire bike called me and told me the thing was really carboned up but nothing else wrong. No codes - no nothing. He thought the previous owner didn't ride it hard enough. Solution - put some Yamaha carbon blaster in the gas and told me to ride it like I stole it for 2-3 tanks of gas. Guess we will see if he's right.

Out of interest - Is the 6 speed 1150RT gearbox a 5 speed 1100RT box with an extra gear or are the ratio's different?

If only it were...

All of the ratios are different, with a lower 5th. An opportunity missed in my book as the 6th gear is an overdrive gear, keeping the original useable 5 ratios with the high 6th added would have been a better setup. As it is, 5th is a little too low for my tastes and 6th a little too high for 60. The bike will cruise at 60 in top but you have to change down to 5th to accelerate, or for steeper hills.

Andy

If only it were...

All of the ratios are different, with a lower 5th. An opportunity missed in my book as the 6th gear is an overdrive gear, keeping the original useable 5 ratios with the high 6th added would have been a better setup. As it is, 5th is a little too low for my tastes and 6th a little too high for 60. The bike will cruise at 60 in top but you have to change down to 5th to accelerate, or for steeper hills.

Andy

Spot on Andy. Exactly how i feel about 5th and 6th. Every time i try to use 6th i find myself constantly shifting down to 5th to get some 'umphhhh'. I do like the lower gears for the twisties though so its not all moan moan moan.

Archived