IGNORED

Rear wheel wobble

paintman

I have a '00 1100RT and I am new to BMW's. The bike has 14,000 miles (I have put on 700) and I just had the 12,000 mile work up done because I had no records from previous owner. I rode it sort of hard for the first time this weekend getting a agressive in the turns. When I did I got a wobble almost like a washboard surface but only in the rear end. I checked and the wheel isn't loose and I couldn't find anything obvious wrong. The rear suspension adjustment is set right at the dot. The tires are in good shape and as long as I ride casual there is no indication of a problem. Any ideas?

Put it on the center stand and see if the rear is out of round when run at idle in 3rd gear.

An out of round condition in a rear tire will show up particularly well under power when leaned over.

My bet would be the tires. If there is a noticeable flat spot then what you may be feeling is the transition over the ridge.

My does that too. It's a squirmy feeling and very unsettling

Could be a ding in the wheel that isn't noticed until you get some serious lean angle. As the previous poster mentioned, this can be checked while idling in a higher gear on the center stand.

Do you remember if the washboard feeling was more pronounced on one side or the other?

I have a '00 1100RT and I am new to BMW's. The bike has 14,000 miles (I have put on 700) and I just had the 12,000 mile work up done because I had no records from previous owner. I rode it sort of hard for the first time this weekend getting a agressive in the turns. When I did I got a wobble almost like a washboard surface but only in the rear end. I checked and the wheel isn't loose and I couldn't find anything obvious wrong. The rear suspension adjustment is set right at the dot. The tires are in good shape and as long as I ride casual there is no indication of a problem. Any ideas?

Check for lash at the rear Paralever bearing stubs as well as a loose crown wheel bearing. Either will produce some rear end squirm. On center stand, grab the wheel at the 12:00 and 6:00 position and attempt to rock the wheel back and forth across the lateral axis. Now, perform the same thing at 9:00 and 3:00. Any perceptible lash is undesirable.

If either is detected, you’ll need to do some wrenching.

Keep us posted.

A six or seven year old bike with 14k, I am betting that the rear tire is over aged. Check the other stuff, but mechanical causes are unlikely with this low mileage.

Any tire four years old is past its prime. Change them both, you will feel much more confident. JMHO. Good Luck!

Thanks to all.

There is a bit of a flat spot on the tire that could be part of the problem. All other mechanical suggestions are negative. A friend who once had a shaft drive bike suggested I might not have the RPMs high enough in the turns. He said that could cause some rear wobble. I've tried staying in a lower gear and haven't felt the wobble again.

Archived