IGNORED

Roadside Assistance EnRoute to Gunnison Thread

KMG_365

Here's a general place to stick cries for help for folks having trouble en route to the UnRally in Gunnison.

Right now on the list we've got Christianne ("CKellner") who is stuck in Delta, Utah with a broken upper throttle cable for a 1999 850GS (Euro model) which should be part number: 32 7 37 659 693 . Boney is en route from the SF BAy area with trailer to Gunnison tomorrow night (Sunday), so if anyone can either get him a cable before he leaves or bring one to Gunnison we can swap it out there. Thanks. thumbsup.gif

According to Bob's BMW the p/n ends in 692 and fits a post '96 850R/1100GS so it looks like an RT cable won't fit. If you have a suitable cable and get it to Gunny or to me please do.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
According to Bob's BMW the p/n ends in 692 and fits a post '96 850R/1100GS so it looks like an RT cable won't fit. If you have a suitable cable and get it to Gunny or to me please do.
Will it not work at all, because of the plastic bits on the ends, or will it just be a bit long? I know that the `99 & `00 RT cables are of different lengths, but I'd think that just about any cable will work, given that it's long enough.

If a different cable will work, I am carrying a new spare cable for the `99 RT that she is welcome to. (of course that'll mean that mine will break on the way home, but I'll take that chance! blush.gif)

Alternately, if anyone can round one up in the greater Denver area, I'll get it and bring it down with me on Monday.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

SageRider is planning on arriving in Delta sometime in the afternoon tomorrow (several- if not many hours before us) and he has a 99 RT cable. We will know if it works, and with any luck, the bike will be repaired tomorrow before I arrive. As of now, I believe we all have reservations to stay there tomorrow night.

If anyone has the right cable, barring any unusual circumstances (like fires!) I should be on the road before 10am Sunday (tomorrow) and having the proper part in my hands would be most excellent.

mobile: 7O7-four9four-fifty five O five

SageRider's throttle cable worked and Christianne is now back on the road, they expect to arrive Gunnison on Monday evening.

However, Boney's trailer hitch is now broken and he may be without bike, but he and Gabby are still coming.

DavidEBSmith

OK, I'm sitting in Denver in a very nice motel with a misbehaving bike.

It won't idle for crap. It keeps wanting to stall every time I stop, unless I rev the throttle or leave the fast idle on. At idle, it mumbles and grumbles and the idle speed jumps up and down. However, off idle, it runs fine. I started past Denver on 285 and turned around and went back, and it pulled up the grades with no problem.

Ideas? I first noticed it after getting gas at a station where I noticed too late that the tanker truck was unloading. But I've gotten another tank since then, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. If it was a clogged fuel filter or bad gas, wouldn't I expect to see the opposite symptoms - OK idle and bogging at speed?

Throttle cable stretched? It doesn't feel stiff as if strands were breaking. If anything, it feels a bit slack. One of the cable adjustments loosened up?

Unless anyone has any great ideas, I'll probably try to mess around with it tonight, and then take it to one of the local dealers in the morning. Any suggestions (PM if you don't want to say it in public) about which shops are OK and which to avoid?

I sent you a PM, not sure why, but this post should suffice.

BMW of Denver has always been great to me. I definately would recommend them over the others. They are all very nice -all altitude, no attidude (just thought of that)

2910 S Havana St.

Aurora, CO 80014

Ask for Jim in service.

Map

Eebie:

No experiernce with Denver shops, but if my own misbehaving bike (crapped out the starter on Saturday frown.gif) is restored to good health tomorrow morning as expected, I'll be passing thru Denver in the early afternoon on my way to Gunnison and would be glad to help in any way I can. I'll PM you my cell #. If the news isn't good, I've got a pickup and a dual-rail Kendon that could be pressed into service (again -- just used it on Saturdayfrown.gif).

DavidEBSmith

thumbsup.gif

Knappy & DCB called it correctly - look at the throttle bell crank. The idiot who worked on the bike last crazy.gif didn't ensure that the fuel line to the external fuel filter didn't foul the stop on the bell crank, and it was holding the right TB open at idle.

Actually, blame Ron, if he had't sold me those fancy Wilbers shocks, I wouldn't have moved the fuel line and messed it up. grin.gif

Thanks to everybody who offered help & suggestions. Se you in Gunny tomorrow.

The idiot who worked on the bike last crazy.gif didn't ensure that the fuel line to the external fuel filter didn't foul the stop on the bell crank, and it was holding the right TB open at idle.

clap.gif

Now, if I just had something to blame Ron for ... wink.gif

Lone_RT_rider
The idiot who worked on the bike last crazy.gif didn't ensure that the fuel line to the external fuel filter didn't foul the stop on the bell crank, and it was holding the right TB open at idle.

clap.gif

You can blame Ron for all of us smiling all the time. He is usually at the heart of the matter. grin.gif

Shawn

You can blame Ron for all of us smiling all the time. He is usually at the heart of the matter. grin.gif

True dat! thumbsup.gif

DavidEBSmith

You can blame Ron for all of us smiling all the time. He is usually at the heart of the matter.

All I can say is, if you're riding with Ron and you stop for lunch and he leaves his jacket spread out on the bike and his helmet hanging from the footpeg, be sure you have an umbrella handy. grin.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Throttle cable stretched? It doesn't feel stiff as if strands were breaking. If anything, it feels a bit slack.

This was an important clue. wink.gif File that symptom away in your memory banks for next time.

Archived