IGNORED

2005 R1200RT - First Annual Service

Catbird

I happened to pay a visit to my dealer yesterday for my RT's first Virginia state safety inspection. While talking to the service manager about scheduling my RT for its first annual routine service, he informed me that, unlike my previous bike ('96 RT), the only thing required is an oil/filter change. Moreover, he said that as long as I documented it in my 'book', I could take care of it myself. clap.gif

While there, I had him check to see if my bike was due for any 'computer' reprogramming - he determined it was not.

The only thing that needs to be addressed is the ABS recall issues that most of us are aware of which involves the re-routing of a wire and a bolt change.

How does this information compare to what the rest of you are hearing?

Just every 2 years now.

Has it changed recently? Online service schedules for the Hexheads are thin on the ground, but BMW Canada has the RT with the same brake service requirements as the Oilheads, viz. wheel circuits annually, control circuits every two years.

Curiously, there appears to be no scheduled change for the clutch fluid?

Just every 2 years now.

Has it changed recently? Online service schedules for the Hexheads are thin on the ground, but BMW Canada has the RT with the same brake service requirements as the Oilheads, viz. wheel circuits annually, control circuits every two years.

Curiously, there appears to be no scheduled change for the clutch fluid?

The clutch fluid is not DOT4, it is a mineral oil, non hydroscopic and is sealed for life.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Just every 2 years now.

Yes, I was told yesterday that the brake fluid change is to be performed at 2 years, now.

My understanding is that the heads are re-torqued and the valves are adjusted at the 600 mile check.
Yes, that was done last summer on my bike.
The clutch fluid is not DOT4, it is a mineral oil, non hydroscopic and is sealed for life.

That would be non hygroscopic, wouldn't it?

Sorry, never had a chance to query a boffin... grin.gif

Archived