IGNORED

ER6I

Whip

Work great......I just used them on my way back from Green Bay for the first time....sound quality was outstanding.....when the music stops they are also very good ear plugs.....they come with different plugs that fit over the acutal device.....small, med, and large,... plus some foam lookin thing that I didn't get around to tryin.....I started with the large because that was what was on them when I open the package....they got hung up when I was tryin to remove the helmet....I went to the smalls and they didn't block enough wimd noise....the med were just right......All I used was a Sony Walkman and I would recommend these to anyone that is interested in good sound and comfort when riding........be careful the first time you take off your helmet...if you use too big a plug it will get hung ....it hurts....dopeslap.gif

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx

I don't think this is the cheapest company...but I wanted them over night and they delivered....thumbsup.gif

Whip

+1

I've had mine about a year and love 'em. I wear them nearly every day on the bike, and also when I do yard work with power equipment.

You might want to stock up on a few extra filters and replacement ear tips. My experience has been that the filters give very little notice of getting clogged up. Suddenly, one speaker will just quit working. After replacing the filter, it is fine again. I've had to replace the filter on each side a few times in the last year or so.

Also, the tips tend to soften up over time (from use, cleaning and lubrication, I suppose), which is generally good for comfort, but then one will lose its grip on the earspeaker and stay stuck in my ear. A replacement tip solves that.

Jerry Johnston

I've had the same problem Joel was mentioning and also found I liked having speakers in the helmet better because I don't listen to music - just the V-1 and am able to hear it even with ear plugs. The two things I didn't like about the er's were the cord always semded tangled when I got ready to put them in and they created a small amount of a under water type sound from the phones touching the liner in the helemet. My SO uses and likes them but she listens to music when we're riding.

Very happy with the sound and comfort wore them every day on a recent cross country trip. Beware: The sound isolation is excellent, on two occasions I noticed cars pulling over before I heard the sirens, this was with the volume on my Sirius Streamer turned all the way down.

I just ordered one of these to run from my jacket pocket to the female plug in front of my seat.

Purchased a pair of er6i's along with a pair of Shure e2c to compare and see which worked best for my wife and I.

After a few weeks of use the verdict is in - the er6i's are clearly superior at blocking noise, are slightly louder (more efficient). Since I don't fancy myself an audiophile I'll defer any comparision of the sound quality except to say both seemed fully capable at reproducing the music (sounds?) coming out of an iPod. The er6i seemed to have better bass response, but this may be deceiving because for a set volume level everything was louder with the er6i than the e2c.

The e2c's OTOH are a much more rugged construction - or at least the wire is much heavier duty and the connection to the headphone seems to be more robust.

Both headphones came with an assortment of foam and rubber (silicon?) adapters which enabled both of us to obtain a good fit.

As for comfort my wife found the er6i's to fit her ear better. My preference was for the e2c. HOWEVER there seemed to be more clearance between the er6i and helmet. While neither of us had a problem with clearance with the Shure, we both noticed there was more clearance with the er6i.

The er6i blocked outside noise better - performing as well as any earplug I've had. The Shure's blocked noise well, just not as well. So if you'd rather more input about what's going on around you then perhaps the Shure's would be a better selection. For maximum hearing protection the choice would be the er6i.

The er6i's run about $15 to $20 more than the Shure's depending upon what's on sale.

Cheers,

Greg

The ER6i are excellent phones and one of the few that have enough sound isolation to safely take the place of earplugs. They also fit under most helmets very nicely. And dual-purpose as they provide superb sound in the quiet of the motel room as well. They may not seem all that physically robust but I've been abusing a pair for quite a while now and no problems so far.

Ok...how does the wire from the headphones hold up? I bought some similar in style and function from Sony. They sounded good up until the rubber insulation frayed on between my 'not-so-well-shaven' face and the interior check pad of the helmet.

How would the entymotic hold up?

Regards,

Mike O

Ok...how does the wire from the headphones hold up? I bought some similar in style and function from Sony. They sounded good up until the rubber insulation frayed on between my 'not-so-well-shaven' face and the interior check pad of the helmet.

How would the entymotic hold up?

Regards,

Mike O

After two years of fine service my ER6's had a bad intermittent connection on my left side. Maybe do to the one two many times they got ripped out of my ear. So I sent them back and within a week they sent me a new pair at no charge. thumbsup.gif

BTW for 90.00 I got custom ear molds. very comfortable

Very Happy with them

Chugger

ShovelStrokeEd

Mike,

Some cautions about the ER6i wires. My original set of ER6's had a wire go bad from me allowing the wire to just trail in the wind. The flapping killed it in short order. I now run the wire up under my jacket and clip it to the inner pocket. No more problems.

Second point. It is very important that you don't remove the things from your ears by pulling on the wire. You should grasp the body of the ear budd and twist a bit while pulling it out of your ear.

I've had mine about a little over a year and maybe 10k miles of riding and I'm happy with them. I also opted for custom ear molds from here and am very glad I did. The ear molds make inserting the ER6i's very easy and make a great seal to block excess noise. My only complaint about the ER6i's is the thin wire may not hold up over the years. On mine the first two inches of wire coming from the earphones is begining to get stiff, probably from contact with my sweaty neck. A thicker more chemical resistant wire would make the ER6i's perfect, but I would still buy them again if mine should break. thumbsup.gif

thumbsup.gif

BTW for 90.00 I got custom ear molds. very comfortable Very Happy with them.

Chugger

$90.00?!!! Where can someone find custom ear molds for that kind of money? Best I found in the DFW area is about $160.00.

thumbsup.gif

BTW for 90.00 I got custom ear molds. very comfortable Very Happy with them.

Chugger

$90.00?!!! Where can someone find custom ear molds for that kind of money? Best I found in the DFW area is about $160.00.

My local Audiologist. He made a mold and sent them out to The company Starkey Labs. They made the molds so you didn't need to use any adapter. the price was 130.00 with the noise filter -you choose the DB range. I told them what I was using them for the ER6 and didn't need the filter. so the price went down to 90.00 + tax

I also tried those same Shure ear buds. For me, they stuck out too far and would get caught on the helmet every time I took it off. I sent them back.

The Eytomotics are great.

82 bucks at erwin computers.
That's exactly where I ordered mine from too. Same price. I used the rubber/plastic 3-flange earbuds for a week or so on a 3,000-mile trip and found them to hurt my ears, in addition to the seal being broken after 2-3 hours of riding. At about the 2,500-mile mark, I changed over to the foam earbuds and it's been a painless experience since as they are soft and create a better permanent seal to your ear's contours until you remove them. Disadvantage is the foam earbuds get dirty easier and are difficult to really get clean (whereas the rubber/plastic 3-flange earbuds can be cleaned with soap and water), thus having to replace them more often. But they're 3 pairs for $10, so no big deal.

Love the ER6Is (black, of course--are they faster? tongue.gif). I too wish the cord sheath was a little thicker/tougher, but I would still buy another set, without a doubt. I've even found them to be a godsend while mowing the lawn nowadays! grin.gif

Mike,

I don't have an unshaven face rubbing the wires; however, I have had mine for nearly a year with no problems. The wires do seem a bit flimsy; however, I have yet to have a problem with mine.

All of the flanges that came with the set were too large for me. I contacted Etymotic, and was set to return them. The CSR at Etymotic mailed me a couple of additional sets of smaller flanges-at no charge to me. clap.gif Gotta love that kind of service.

Archived