IGNORED

Controversy on Black Box/GPS!

X_BamaCop

I have seen several cases where the Courts have used information from black boxes in some cars in their decisons. What about the GPS which record average speed top speed and info like this. To what extent should the information be available to LEO's? We buy these GPS and enjoy them but I know many do not think about these devices as a way for them to face possible charges. This especially applies when these units are moved from the motorcycles to the cage as the chance of causing damage and injuries rise significantly. Although I realize that most here are more respnsible and experianced we could all find ourselves facing this. An LEO should not be able to access this information on a speeding citation alone and use only his observations of the speeding vehicle. What about the thread about the BMW motorcycle running from Police? On the criminal charges should this information be used. Although it is your property should police be able to take the device as evidence of the crime.

This forum has a lot of successfull, mainstream, and respectfull people from all over the world and I am curious what everyone thinks on the issue! thumbsup.gif

An LEO should not be able to access this information on a speeding citation alone and use only his observations of the speeding vehicle.

I don't think that will happen unless the GPS is certified like the ones used in airplanes.I just reset mine the other day because it was showing 256 mph as top speed... grin.gifgrin.gif....on my F650 gs

My GPS Max speed reads 548mph - courtesy of a Ryan Air Boeing 737-800. I took my GPS on my trip to Spain and decided to leave that maximum in place to prevent any use of maximum speed for evidence. I also keep track recording turned off.

That said, I don't believe it could be used for evidence for exceeding the speed limit in the UK, as there would be no proof of where the speed was reached - on the road or on a track day for instance.

DSCN3937.jpg

Andy thumbsup.gif

I had a quest2 replaced under warranty because it kept loseing the signal then recalculating when it re-aquired the signal.

I achieved 150 mph, then 252 mph then 1150 mph.

So, there's your defense!

I should have taken a picture of the 1150mph. ooo.gif

St0nkingByte

Even a properly functioning GPS can be incorrect especially in wooded areas where signal can come and go. I was going through my tracks from my last ride on Monday and the GPS recorded several 0.1->0.2 mile stretches as 100mph+ but I know for sure I wasn't going that fast.

My GPS Max speed reads 548mph - courtesy of a Ryan Air Boeing 737-800.

Must be something in the British air....

Mine courtesy of an Air Berlin Boeing 737-800. Why was your flight faster than mine?! frown.gif

74444369-M.jpg

All said and done though, I wonder how many Police Officers would think to look at that? And how could it be proved the when the speed was achieved? Least with the Blackboxes, that is kinda what they are designed to do, tell what was happening at a certain time.

Steve

RichEdwards

I knew that a GPS couldn't be trusted when I registered 346 mph going through the Lincoln Tunnel in NYC. I wasn't doing more than 250 mph. tongue.gif

Rich,

Then why couldn't you keep up w/me on Monday?

My GPS only read 175 mph after that high speed run. tongue.gif

grin.gif

The use of a Black Box should be allowed. The operator knew it was there and should have a reasonable expectation that it could be used.

Caveat Emptor. thumbsup.gif

Archived