IGNORED

Techron

I bought Techron for my RT. The label says the 12 oz. bottle can be mixed up to 12 gallons of gas. Is it possible to over use Techron? Should I put the whole 12 oz. in the tank or back off a bit? Anyone have experience with Techron?

bobiverson

Well, the product specs state "12 ounce bottle treats 12 gallons of fuel." I'm no math wizard, but I would (counting my fingers) figure that means 1 ounce per gallon.

Whadya do... pour the whole bottle in your tank???

Since Chevron already adds this product to their gasoline, it would be wise not to treat already treated fuel.

Scratching my head, however... you know you don't REALLY need this stuff in your fuel, don't you???

Hey... stop sniffing that stuff.

BOB

Bob is right, you don't "REALLY" need this stuff but I only use TopTier gas when I have a choice. TopTier

The manufacturers recommend it and the research I've done and experience show that it works at keeping the engine clean. My plug and valves look great after many a mile. I used an inspection tool on my Chevy truck once out of curiosity and was very surprised at the buildup in around the valves. I used some sea foam and then started using top tier fuel. After 8k more miles I took another look, clean!

I was impressed.

The main thing is; Shell sells fuel near me that is just as cheap an any ones and why not use it since it has met Top Tier standards? We all got opinions though. wink.gif

If you already added it, go ahead and change your oil.

Unlike the others, I do think it's a useful product. I've had it clear up two issues that appeared to be dirty injectors.

I use Techron about every other oil change. I use it as per directions in a tank full. I ride one more tank with no additive, then change oil. I do this on recommendation of some articles in BMOA Owner News. There is no way of telling it is doing any good at all of course unless you take the jugs off the bike and look. 64,000 and I haven't looked yet.

I don't think it hurts anything or they wouldn't sell the stuff (liability.

I bought my RT used from someone who never rapped it out, lugged it around all the time, rode it only occassionally. It was very carboned up, I could see it caked on the pistons by pulling the plugs and sticking one of those skinny little LED mechanic's lights down there, it was very obvious. The plugs were all gummed up too. I did two tanks of gas with half a bottle of Techron in each, then the oil change and it was much cleaner (new plugs too, of course). The bike runs smoother and doesn't "ping" under load. I run this course about twice a year, every 6000 to 7000 miles (about every other oil change). I think it's a good product and it seems to help. The boxer engine likes to be run hard, and that helps to keep carbon buildup to a minimum too.

I've put 28,000 miles on the RT in 2.5 years since I bought it and it runs better with every mile, just purrs like a kitten now!

Pay no attention to this Iverson dude. This is jealousy rearing it's ugly head. He just can't stand the fact my Techron cocktails are better than his. smile.gif

Hey russg, I was down your way Wednesday. I agree I don't really need the stuff, but I had a good experience with it in my last truck and figure it can help keep things clean if if use every now and then. Thanks for the Top Tier site. I was completely unaware that there was any real difference in most fuels. I am usually near and Exxon or Valero...in the future I will start looking for some of these other stations.

I've had a few conversations with people in the refinery industry and there seems to be general agreement that Techron is one of the (very) few fuel additives on the market that actually does what is advertised. Allot of the anecdotal evidence from various Internet Boards, including this one, seems to support this too.

My previous 1150RT occasionally developed some ping every now and then and I would put some techron in the tank. Just for preventative purposes, I started running it on the last tank before every oil change. As far as the dosage, I recall that the instructions say to mix the techron with at least 12 gallons of fuel instead of up to 12 gallons. So far, I have always put the whole 12 ounce bottle in on a 6 gallon fill-up with no problems at all.

Since Chevron already adds this product to their gasoline, it would be wise not to treat already treated fuel.

Scratching my head, however... you know you don't REALLY need this stuff in your fuel, don't you???

First thing is, why are you putting this in the tank?

Techron is a fuel injector "detergent". Its sole purpose is to clean your fuel injectors. So, are you having trouble with the spray pattern of the injectors caused by deposits in them?

If not, then why waste your money cleaning injectors that are already clean?

As for the dosage, note that they say the bottle cleans "up to 12 gallons". In other words if you put it into a larger amount of gas, the mixture will be too dilute to function properly. From their statement there seems nothing wrong with pouring it into a smaller amount of gas.

But obviously, pouring the bottle into (say) 1 gallon of gas would be kinda stupid. I suggest it is reasonable to add the bottle to anywhere between 5-6 gallons and 12 gallons of gas.

But again, if you are not having injector problems, then there is no point in using this stuff at all. Besides, as someone said, Chevron ALREADY puts it in their gas.

Bob.

TheGreatGazoo

Your right that if you use the TOP TIER (High Quality) Detergent Gasoline that you really don’t need TECHRON®, but do you always find or get high quality fuel when you are running low. Our area of the county (great lakes area) had a large problem about 18 mouths ago with some low to mid quality fuel with corrosive sulfur in it. This caused fuel injector problems, fuel pump and fuel sending unit problems ending up with poor running or non running vehicles and non working sending unites. Some major manufactures ( BMW, GM, HONDA, TOYOTA) now recognize that the detergent standards of fuels need to be raised and they suggest only the use of TOP TIER Detergent Gas and or TECHRON® fuel additive. GM service Bulletin Number 05-06-04-022 and 05-00-89-078. Chevron TECHRON® Plus cleans deposits from fuel injectors, ports, valves and combustion chambers, Cleans corrosive sulfur deposits from fuel gauge sensors and protect it against malfunction by coating all metal surfaces of the fuel system.

Note: I do not sell TECHRON® I just work for a GM dealership and saw the large amount of fuel injectors, fuel pumps and fuel sending units problems that were showing up to be repaired.I allso had some fuel sender problems at that time that have gotten much better but not totalty solved after the use of TECHRON® Plus. My two cents!

thumbsup.gif

bobiverson
Pay no attention to this Iverson dude. This is jealousy rearing it's ugly head. He just can't stand the fact my Techron cocktails are better than his. smile.gif

Hanging my head in shame and slinking away from this thread...

Use it according to the label instructions. It does what it claims. It is useful for cleaning light fuel varnish from fuel that has sat without Stabil for months, it cleans the fuel system of deposits and keeps cylinders clean of deposits. It is NOT a substitute for changing a fuel filter because it does not dissolve solids like dirt or rust. It perform best when you plan slow, commuting type riding. High-speed, hiway rides do not allow the best cleanup.

I would caution against over-use....only when needed.

Hanging my head in shame and slinking away from this thread...

Awshucks. I'm sorry. Swiging all that Techron must have gone to my head. I hope you weren't so hurt that you had to go out and ride that Dark Graphite R1200RT all afternoon. I would really feel terrible about that. grin.gif

DavidEBSmith

My anecdotal experiences with Techron:

1. When I'm in an area that has Chevron stations, I get Chevron gas, and my gas mileage improves slightly.

2. I have put Techron concentrate in the bike and had the idle smooth out and the gas mileage increase.

3. When I got the lawn mower out of storage this spring, it would start on the first pull, but wouln't stay running. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the carb, no improvement. I put a shot of Techron in the gas, pumped the primer bulb a few times, and it started up and has run fine since.

No data, uncontrolled experiments, purely anecdotal.

Based upon my experience my opinion is that add-in Techron does an excellent job of cleaning the fuel system, especially the injectors. It cleans deposits from everywhere it touches. Consequently, it is wise to use it just before an oil change to remove the crud it sends there. AND to run two tanks of gas through the bike AFTER the tank it was applied to BEFORE the oil change.

That's as a remedy.

All the gasolines produced by members of the Top Tier organization ( www.toptiergas.com ) have proven to leave fuel systems and engine internals squeaky clean upon regular use. Consequently, no need to use an add-in cleaner.

Best wishes with what you discover.

I'm curious - why change your oil after putting Techron through your system?

(Have the bottle at home but haven't used it yet... now getting scared to!)

Jim

Quote from the toptier website

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

Does this mean that all grades of gas have the detergents?

I haven't bought Chevron gas in a while, but I thought only the top octane grade had Techron.

Runs past the rings and dillutes the oil.

Only if the injectors leak down after the ignition has been turned off. Techron and or galoline with dilute oil under these conditions. If your injectors are like mine (no leak down or dribbling), run the Techron and do not worry about oil dilution.

Quote from the toptier website

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

Does this mean that all grades of gas have the detergents?

Of course! Chevron's detergent is Techron. Other brands have their own version of it. Been this way for years now. Techron is supposed to be the best, as I understand it.

Bob.

I have come to prefer Yamaha Ring Free over Chevron Techron for my bike (about every 12k mi). Tried 'em both (not together) and felt that the bike ran better after adding Ring Free than after adding Techron. YMMV. I usually fill up with 91 octane from Sam's Club (probably not a "top tier" gas). :-O

Use what works best for you......Techron, olive oil or whatever......
And that was helpful in what way?

Archived