IGNORED

Putting Away the Toolkit in the K12RS

Laney

It really shouldn't be this difficult...

I had to use my toolkit last Sept, and since it played a huge part in saving me from staying an extra day in a part of Utah I didn’t want to stay another day in, I want to take it with me everywhere I go. grin.gif

Since that time, I’ve tried a bunch of times to put it back under the seat where it came from, but I just can’t everything to sit right so the seat will latch. I even took another toolkit from an identical KRS, arranged all the pieces of my tool kit the same way, and rolled it up the same way, and put it into the toolkit box the same way, and it still didn’t work. blush.gif

Is there some magic required to put this thing back where it belongs? If so, will somebody please let me in on the secret? smile.gif

Of course the problem could be that I'm a girl... tongue.gif

I do not think it is because you are girl. I had the same issue until I figured out one day how to put on the seat. Previously I would concern myself about getting the front of the seat located correctly so that it would lock into place. Now I kind of get the seat in place and have the back on the seat in the first detent of the catch and then I would press on the seat which would put the front of the seat in the right location as I pushed the back of the seat into the second detent or locked portion of the catch. This sounds confusing but it just took time to figure out and make the toolkit less of an issue.

Hope this helps

Laney, I keep mine in the storage box under the seat because I have a Centech fuse block where the tool kit is supposed to go.

Some rearrangement of tools and it's a little tight but mine fits there and I can close it and secure the clips to keep it there.

Good luck.

Laney, I keep mine in the storage box under the seat because I have a Centech fuse block where the tool kit is supposed to go.

Some rearrangement of tools and it's a little tight but mine fits there and I can close it and secure the clips to keep it there.

Good luck.

Just checked the GT & found that I store my tool kit In the seat compartment not the frame compartment.

Its a tight fit but it can be done.

Get a K1200S & you wont have to worry about storing a tool kit....... they dont come with one tongue.gif

JerryMather
Of course the problem could be that I'm a girl... tongue.gif

That's probably the reason. grin.gif I've had mine out a few times and had no problems getting it back in place and putting the seat back on. thumbsup.gif

Interesting,

I just found this on a current ebay auction:

bd_3.jpg

My toolikit doesn't have this drawing so I saved the picture for future refernce. Maybe this is the "magic" German tool configuration!

Regards

Derek

My guess is the one you borrowed is assembled wrong too, but the owner rides with the seat up in the high position. I keep my seat in the lowest position. I have to wrap my tool kit up just so and it's good. Oops, last time I left out part of the lug tool and it's still on my workbench. Guess I have a project on my hands, too.

Glad to be of no assistance smirk.gif

Glad to be of no assistance smirk.gif

Not exactly - your avatar always makes me smile. smile.gif

Derek, thanks for finding that picture - I'm saving it too. Tomorrow I'll see if making mine match that one makes any difference.

Derek, thanks for finding that picture - I'm saving it too. Tomorrow I'll see if making mine match that one makes any difference.

I don't think that's exactly how mine went together, but it's pretty close. The tricks are getting the tools laid out so it goes in as flat as possible, and as above, getting the correct procedure with the seat installation, so the seat doesn't catch on it. I had it down pretty well, before I shifted to carrying alternative tools in the left saddlebag.

Yup, what Greg said. I was able to finnagle the missing tool into the kit and got it strapped in without the expected hassle this time. And I have a new avatar on the way as Chief Joseph starts this Fri. And never start sentences with a conjuction. But sometimes you can. Or not.

I took the easy way out and took the tire stuff and put it in a baggie in the seat compartment, and the seat's on. And it was so easy (Phil, what did you say I shouldn't start a sentence with? And what is it I shouldn't end a sentence with? tongue.gif) that tomorrow I'm going to take the seat back off and put the adjustable wrench in the seat compartment that I forgot about yesterday. And I'm not afraid.

I'm almost not afraid. crazy.gif

I took the easy way out and took the tire stuff and put it in a baggie in the seat compartment, and the seat's on.

blush.gifblush.gif

Just checked & found that I took out the tire stuff & store them in the frame compartment as well.

However in its place(in the tool roll) is a mini mag light & a Swiss Army knife.

Still have a little space left over in the seat(internal) compartment with the tool roll stored here.

Just get a KS & you wont have to worry about tools thumbsup.gif

I hope crazy.gif

I keep mine in the left saddlebag. There's not much room for anything else in it. Got tired of trying to get it to fit under the seat.

Laney

Did you know that there is a pretty good storage area when you remove the seat and look under the tailight.

I have a Leatherman tool, a CO2 tire inflator tool and spare cylinders stuffed in there.

Bruce C

I seem to be able to keep the tool kit flat enough with the stock tools. However, I carry spare light bulbs and other small items in the space under the tail light, a quality air gauge tucked in another space and a small set of jumper cables in the storage compartment under the seat. The jumper cables have saved the day on a couple of occasions.

Archived