Two up camping on the 1100 RT

Deaner

I've been away for a while, it's good to be back. Anyway, the little lady and I are heading to Paonia in July on the bike for the Top o' The Rockies and also would like to do an overnighter here or there before then. How hard is it to pack for two people on the RT? I have a stock top and side cases with no tiedowns on the lids. I figure with two bags, two Thermarests/loungers, food, extra camp site clothes, rain gear, a couple bivy sacs and/or small two person tent I may have to leave Megan at home. I don't think that would be OK.

Any tips? Tricks?

I used to pack my waterproof rollbag instead of the top case in these scenarios. It perfectly eats all of our camping gear.

I agree with the first reply, You'll get a lot more gear in a dry sack than the factory top case. Check into a Jo's U-pack. Lots of storage. Great for soft items like thermarests, tent, rain gear etc.

Find a four man tent that has short pole sections. Twenty inches is good and makes packing much easier. You'll appreciate the extra space inside the tent compared to a two man bivy.

Chairs can be hard to pack unless they're Kermits. Why not just buy a pair of cheap sling back chairs, use them for the rally and give away or dispose of them when you leave. I just saw them 2 for $12 at Dicks sporting goods.

Yankee_Dog

Get a trailer.

I dont see how anyone could CAMP two up on any motorcyle. I know it is done but I dont know how. the sleeping bags and tents all by themnselves take up too much room. Let alone all the other junk that goes along with camping.

Yankee Dog

My wife and I have done quite a bit of two-up camping (weekends to long trips) from our R-RS. We use the following:

Jo's U-pac (http://www.josupac.com/) on the rear rack (it wraps arounds the pillion to attach to the site cases. Inside that are two sleeping bags in compression stuff sacks (Outdoor Research), two Big Agnes air mattresses (each roll to the size of a Nalgene water bottle..), our tent, two Therm-a-rest travel pillows (these roll up small!) and a small soft sided cooler. We also option for our stove kit if away from stores, etc. We don't carry any chairs. Picnic tables, logs, etc. have worked fine.

In the side cases (standard size) we each take a case for our own use. There are plenty of threads here on how much clothing to pack - it just depends on where you live, temp., etc. This also includes toiletry kits (again, Outdoor Research - the small ones...)It gets hard to go two-up to camp in the winter due to all the extra layers...

The tank bag has the usual nick-nacks for riding / camping that need quicker access. One choice we did make is that our jackets are waterproof without having to add a liner (the pants do have gore-tex liners, but they are small and pack well). Aerostitch "triple-digit" glove covers work very well and pack small without having to have extra gloves.

This all fits / rides very well.

Have fun!

No affiliations with any manufacturer, yada, yada...

BMWMOA has some excellent two-up camping info at their website. I agree with using a U-bag.

Mag's bags does custom sizing as well as in stock sizes.

Extra deep lids

Kathy's GIANT roll bag or the like instead of a topcase

I would also consider a plate or top of the line rack on the tail rack. Jamie has some good pics of his...

I dont see how anyone could CAMP two up on any motorcyle. I know it is done but I dont know how. the sleeping bags and tents all by themnselves take up too much room. Let alone all the other junk that goes along with camping.

It's easy - stop taking all the junk. I'm an ultralight (but hedonistic) backpacker and can go a week with less than 3,000 cu in & 15 lbs of gear including food & water. Backpack is 2 lbs - on the bike I don't take that & stuff it into kayaking dry bags so I save a pound or so. Sleeping bag is the size of a football. Tent for two is 2 footballs in size. Plenty of room for a couple of glasses and a bottle or two of your favorite vintage.

Here's a link to our previous bike an RSl loaded with;

4 person 9x9 tent, inflatable coleman 4" air matresses (2), ground cloth, linens, towels, clothes line, clothes for week at the beach where we camped, cooler for a case of water, air pump (battery powered) for air matresses, toolkit, spare parts, first aid kit, air compressor for the bike, and a whole bunch more.

It can be done. thumbsup.gif

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6db10b3127cce8a5ab884641000000016109AaMXLlu3cu

Man, that's huge! ooo.gif For the RT I'd rather choose a shorter bag because these giants fill up the view of the mirrors. Unless you have additional (e.g. GS) mirros of course. Btw BMW has a factory dry bag for the RT.

My wife and I camped for the first time last year. We only take packable travel clothes, towels that fold up to almost nothing. We sleep on self inflating matresses that also take up very little space.

All clothes in the side cases, her clothes obviously go in the larger one. The tank bag carries anything that we might need quickly or regularly like camera, fruit, water, raingear.

Our small tent is strapped across the back of the passenger seat up against the top box and low enough not to intrude on my wife's seating space.

Even with what we think is the barest essentials, we still end up having some stuff that we don't use or wear.

I always have to leave some extra space whilst away; you see...my wife has this thing about shopping and shoes. confused.gif

696432-tent.jpg.006af71bc3ba48ee5b6639e074e87c85.jpg

An RT can easily carry enough camping stuff for two. May need to trade the top box for bags (maybe dry bags) but the hard box is nice and dry. There's lots of backpacking gear out there and with the luxury of a big bike like the RT, you don't need the real expensive, ultralight stuff.

Some of my fellow "experienced" riders may remember a book from way back, before all the factory luggage, that covered gear, packing, philosophy and other stuff in enjoyable detail. The Complete Motorcycle Nomad by Roger Lovin. It's even listed through Amazon, although only as a used book.

Enjoy the trips.

Larry

SAAB93driver

Have done 2-up camping several times. Can be done on an R11RS, so an RT should be possible. 1 large duffle for the sleeping bags and thermarests. 1 HTW tent bag for tent and ground cover, saddlebags for clothes, pillion occupant with small back pack and tank bag for other essentials. We don't cook when we camp and we have to use a laundramat every so often but it is more than doable. Have recent '06 Chicken Rally photos to prove it.

AdventurePoser
I've been away for a while, it's good to be back. Anyway, the little lady and I are heading to Paonia in July on the bike for the Top o' The Rockies and also would like to do an overnighter here or there before then. How hard is it to pack for two people on the RT? I have a stock top and side cases with no tiedowns on the lids. I figure with two bags, two Thermarests/loungers, food, extra camp site clothes, rain gear, a couple bivy sacs and/or small two person tent I may have to leave Megan at home. I don't think that would be OK.

Any tips? Tricks?

Hi Deaner,

Welcome back. If you do a search, you'll find several long articles with pix, including one I wrote that deals with this subject. Yes, it can be done...

Jennifer and I have camped extensively around the west two up on our trusty R1150RT...

In a nutshell, don't overpack. Once you've got it all assembled on the ground, take a third of it and put it back on the shelf! thumbsup.gif Wear "technical" clothing, ie, quick drying socks, shorts, underwear. J and I did three weeks on about two pair of underwear, a couple of tees, and a long sleeve pullover, washing one item the night before and wearing the other one the next day. This works quite well. Plus, you then have room to bring a "bulky" item such as a capilene pullover or somesuch for cool nights around the campfire.

For sleeping, mid weight goose down bags, a compact tent and 3/4 thermarest pads rounded out the gear. No cooking gear, though we did bring cups whch came in handy!

PM me for more detailed questions....

Steve in So Cal

I have decided to get a Upac. Now the question is what size. I come from a mountaineering background so know how to pack light. Megan on the otherhand is not so used to the Spartan lifestyle. I am thinking about a large but can't picture a large on the bike. A medium would seem to suffice but would prefer a little too big over a little too small.

Does anyone have photos of their Upacs and info on size?

Call Jo.

She'll walk you through the best size for your ride.

(Standard disclaimers: no relation, etc. But, I know her through the local MOA Chapter)

Mike

Archived