IGNORED

Help Get Me Down the Road Please

MichiganBob

MichiganBob

Tried my first ever fuel filter replacement today on my 2002 RT. Read all the posts, tech daze manual, bmw manual and off I went. No big problems encountered. Made sure the direction is correct, that all wires are connected and lines properly identified and connected. Put it back together and it turns over but will not start. No backfire or tries, just cranks over. Checked fuel pump fuse and it was fine. I guess I need to check if fuel is getting to the injectors but not sure how to do it. Would that be at the quick disconnects or at the actual injector? How do I check at the injector itself? Never thought I would miss my old bings and leaking petcocks. Any tips would be appreciated, as always.

Ride safe,

Bob

Start with the obvious....did you reverse the two fuel lines when you reconnected them? One has marks (x's perhaps) the other does not...after that make sure you are hearing the system pressure up when you turn they key, and then make sure you are ready to go (in neutral etc).

I would bet it is something very simple, but the lines is the first thing I would check....

MichiganBob

It seems that the fuel lines are idiot proof on my bike in that the quick release is different on each. So that is not it. Anyone know how would you check to see if gas is going from the injector to the cylinder?

MichiganBob

The throttle cables are as they should be and work fine when trying to turn over the bike. I can hear the fuel pump when I put on the key. How can I see I tell if I am getting gas to the cylinder?

chasgrips45

I think what Deadboy means ,is that you might have incorrectly reattached the hoses inside the tank. As he mentions ,do the obvious first. The machine ran before you changed the filter. If you hear the pump humming ,you know that it`s getting power. It`s also possible you`ve crimped one of the hoses in there . You can remove one of the hoses ,or pull the injector off ,but check the obvious first.

695923-Stress.jpg.153a936c8af063c765418796dd680d26.jpg

Joe Frickin' Friday
The throttle cables are as they should be and work fine when trying to turn over the bike. I can hear the fuel pump when I put on the key. How can I see I tell if I am getting gas to the cylinder?

First, a dumb check: are the electrical connectors still on the injectors? at the Tech Daze a couple of weeks ago, we left the connector off of one injector on a gentleman's bike (we had pulled it off to better access the fuel lines), and didn't realize it until everything had been buttoned back up (including Tupperware), and the bike wouldn't run properly. blush.gif

Also at the Tech Daze a couple of weeks ago, another gentleman had not fully reinserted one of the quick-disconnects: it looked connected, but was not actually passing any fuel. Double-check those connections first; that's the easiest thing to do.

If you're sure they're connected, then remove one of the injectors from the throttle body (remove the two small screws that hold it in place, then just wiggle it out). Crank the engine and see if it's squirting fuel into open air.

If it's not squirting fuel, try pulling the fuel line off the top of that injector: pull square metal clip off, then wiggle line from injector. Turn key on to make pump spin, at which point you should get a gush of fuel (have a bucket handy, and don't do this over grass). If no gush, you've got a plumbing problem.

Put the injector/line back together. Does the pump sound like it always used to? A couple of years ago when a hose popped off inside my fuel tank, I could hear the pump spin, but it was faster/quieter than normal because it wasn't able to build any pressure; that was an important clue for me. Is it possible you didn't tighten one of the clamps on the fuel filter enough?

Anyway, check the disconnects; check for fuel flow as described; and think about how the pump sounds when it's running. If you're not getting fuel at the injectors, you need to go back into the tank and check the plumbing connections at the filter. Let us know what you find out.

First, a dumb check: are the electrical connectors still on the injectors? at the Tech Daze a couple of weeks ago, we left the connector off of one injector on a gentleman's bike (we had pulled it off to better access the fuel lines), and didn't realize it until everything had been buttoned back up (including Tupperware), and the bike wouldn't run properly. blush.gif

Also at the Tech Daze a couple of weeks ago, another gentleman had not fully reinserted one of the quick-disconnects: it looked connected, but was not actually passing any fuel. Double-check those connections first; that's the easiest thing to do.

If you're sure they're connected, then remove one of the injectors from the throttle body (remove the two small screws that hold it in place, then just wiggle it out). Crank the engine and see if it's squirting fuel into open air.

If it's not squirting fuel, try pulling the fuel line off the top of that injector: pull square metal clip off, then wiggle line from injector. Turn key on to make pump spin, at which point you should get a gush of fuel (have a bucket handy, and don't do this over grass). If no gush, you've got a plumbing problem.

Put the injector/line back together. Does the pump sound like it always used to? A couple of years ago when a hose popped off inside my fuel tank, I could hear the pump spin, but it was faster/quieter than normal because it wasn't able to build any pressure; that was an important clue for me. Is it possible you didn't tighten one of the clamps on the fuel filter enough?

Anyway, check the disconnects; check for fuel flow as described; and think about how the pump sounds when it's running. If you're not getting fuel at the injectors, you need to go back into the tank and check the plumbing connections at the filter. Let us know what you find out.

Mitch,

Nice write-up with excellent advice. When I pull my tank this weekend for fuel filter replacement, I'll have your details in mind.

Did you attend the races at RA in Wisconsin last weekend? If not, shame on you........best brats on the planet at Canada Corner there.

Regards,

MichiganBob

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am off to the garage for recheck everything test #148. If it is a "no go," I was pleased that Grand Rapids BMW, knowing that I leave for a 9,000 mile trip Monday, said to trailer it up and they would get it in. Nice to know that there is backup available. Stay tuned.

Bob

MichiganBob

A blessing on your household and torque wrench brother Mitch. The so called quick disconnects can give a false impression that they are connected. And if they are not in all the way, the valve is not compressed and no fuel. Not one, but both of them, were not in all the way. Put a little WD on the o-ring, took some channel locks and made sure they were in all the way and presto, chango, the bike runs. So here is one more thing to add to your checklist everyone when doing your fuel filter, especially the first time through. While I am at it, another warning. When I tore down my bike for this project, I found that my air filter compartment was filled with seeds, broken acorns and the like. Damn mice must have crawled up the air duct this winter. Wrapped some screen around the end that crimps onto the air box. Should take care of that.

Cheers and thanks again.

Bob

Archived