IGNORED

Stitch Recommendation

Highway41

I own the Darien in black but have lost weight and might buy a gray Roadcrafter but only if it is cooler than the black. Any you guys with experience of both colors/suits to note the difference or are they about the same? Thanks. Bill

RichEdwards

The Darien is unlined and therefore gives you more choices on clothing worn underneath. When it's hot, a thin long-sleeve shirt is enough. The Roadcrafter lining makes it warmer regardless of color. I had a Roadcrafter and sold it after it went largely unused after my move to Florida. I use the Darien for the eight cooler months in FL and mesh in the four hot months. But I did use the Darien for my Alaska trip and it was good for everything from 40 degrees to 90 degrees. Great venting for the heat and warm (with a Gerbings jacket cooking underneath) when it's cold outside.

I own the Darien in black but have lost weight and might buy a gray Roadcrafter but only if it is cooler than the black. Any you guys with experience of both colors/suits to note the difference or are they about the same? Thanks. Bill

I've got a Roadcrafter and a Darien (and . . .), but I wouldn't buy a Roadcrafter for use in Florida. Anytime the temperature is over 80 degrees, you'll cook in it unless you're moving along at a respectable speed. There simply isn't nearly as much airflow as with the Darien. Really, I'd strongly advise you to stick with a Darien. With the Darien, you also have the option of maybe buying a pair of mesh pants, which, while not as protective as the Darien pants, would keep you cooler.

Truthfully, now that I've got a couple of options, my Roadcrafter is the least-used suit in my vast ( grin.gif ) motorcycling wardrobe--I typically just use it on cooler spring or autumn rides, when it's nice to be able to pretty much totally seal off the elements.

As far as gray versus black is concerned, I replaced my black Darien pants (I've got the hi-viz jacket) with gray ones last year. I haven't worn them a lot, but I notice some difference on those days when I would be otherwise backing in the black ones. Not a huge difference, mind you, but enough that I would go with gray if I were living in Florida.

I have a 2 piece roadcrafter, Hi-viz with grey armor and grey/grey pants. I use it on the RT year round. There is very little airflow on the RT and the vented suit I own actually makes me feel warmer. I am sure the Darien will be cooler then the Roadcrafter, the outer material is thinner and it has no linning. Any suit with lighter colors will be cooler than black, especially in bright sunlight.

Archived