IGNORED

Hit a grouse yesterday....

Smoky

Whilst riding along a lakeshore road, on my KLR 650, I came across a grouse on the side of the road. I was going about 70 KPH, and he was facing the road. When I was about two bike lenghts from him, he launched into the air.

I was sure we were going to collide. I flinched to the left, and he hit my right shoulder in an explosion of feathers. It felt like a good punch to the shoulder, didn't hurt as much as I expected. I turned around, and lots of feathers, but no sign of the feathered missile.

Today my shoulder is a little tender to touch, but no bruise.

I've hit two other birds that I can remember, but with the bike, not with my body. But they were swallows or sparrows or something. This guy had to weigh two pounds, and I thought it was going to be much more dramatic. frown.gif

Nice, it can be very distracting when that happens....I hit a grouse (or something that size anyway) in Wyoming last summer but the semi to my right was more of a concern at the time....hit my headlight, top of windscreen and then chest, so most of its momentum was already gone, but I still felt it....hit another one here in CA but this time I managed to duck as it went over after hitting the windscreen....

I dunno, we've got a Vice President who can't tell a grouse from a lawyer, and riders who can't tell the difference between a motorcycle and a shotgun! grin.gif

I dunno, we've got a Vice President who can't tell a grouse from a lawyer, and riders who can't tell the difference between a motorcycle and a shotgun! grin.gif

It's a confusing world we live in, give the guy a break! tongue.gifthumbsup.gifgrin.gif He says he's from Wyoming and we consider lawyers "small game" out here, no license needed to hunt them (or realtors).

I hit an owl once with my pickup truck and it killed the truck, went right through the grille and radiator, big dent in the hood, quite the mess under the hood. I think hitting that thing with the bike would have put us both down.

I watch for EVERYTHING when I'm on the roads, but still have been scared to death by pheasants, eagles, geese, pelicans (they are BIG), etc. This is another reason I wear ATGATT, it's not only about falling down. Think about getting drilled by a good sized bird at speed with nothing but sunglasses and a tee shirt on!

Glad you weren't hurt, Smokey!

Doug

Hey,

Non are more famous .........or should that be ...........infamous ............ THAN THE COTSWOLD PHEASANT [ Latin name ....Dopius Bastardus ] !!

At least the rider is ok , and it didn't result in an off .

Steve

I dunno, we've got a Vice President who can't tell a grouse from a lawyer,..

I fail to see why that would be a problem, especially while wielding a firearm....

Archived