Streetpilot 2730 ~or~ Streetpilot 2820 - debate........................

Art..

I've been looking at the 2730 and the 2820. Based on the info I've found, there are some major differences:

Streetpilot 2730

- Comes with the GXM 30 Smart antenna included

- Has a FM transmitter to wirelessly transmit XM to the car stereo

- No Bluetooth frown.gif

Streetpilot 2820

- No FM transmitter

- Does have Bluetooth clap.gif

- Must pay an additional $250! for the GXM 30 antenna

So, here is my dilemma..........

Buy the 2730 and forget Bluetooth........or

Buy the 2820 and pay another $250 for the right to use the XM, and use a wire to get the XM into the car stereo. How will this work if I have no cassette and no input jack in my truck.......

Comments?

OK, maybe a stupid question, but here goes:

If I buy the Streetpilot 2820, and buy a set of bluetooth speakers for my helmet, and buy the XM option for the 2820, .....

.... will I be able to hear the XM radio in my helmet, without any wires or additional speakers?

Actually, I'm not sure now.

Garmin's site says... Bluetooth wireless technology for hands-free calling and navigation audio prompts

They're silent about the XM.

Actually, I'm not sure now.

Garmin's site says... Bluetooth wireless technology for hands-free calling and navigation audio prompts

They're silent about the XM.

Yes, I read that, and that's why I asked the question! Any experts out there to enlighten us?

Motor Po-Po

Everything I am finding about the 2820 says XM NavTraffic ... not an XM Radio tuner. All the releases and reviews talk about the NavTraffic being used to help with routing, and the MP3 player is mentioned, but nothing is mentioned anywhere about XM music. I called Garmin's Customer Service today and he couldn't tell me either way ... it sounded like he was making an educated guess.

I guess I'll have to wait until someone on the forum buys it and actually uses it to tell me what the real scoop is.

Everything I am finding about the 2820 says XM NavTraffic ... not an XM Radio tuner.

Sheesh! I missed that little detail thumbsup.gif

That will seal the deal for me. Looks like the 2730 it is.....or the 376C.

I don't have a view either way but have a more basic question. Are all the features being loaded on a GPS (telephone/Blue Tooth; XM radio; GPS) crossing a point where the point of riding gets lost? Somebody probably asked the same question way back when, when engineers were deciding to audio-up cars, wondering the extent to which it might pose a distraction and, therefore, safety risk.

Oh well. Guess I'm guilty of being a luddite at times.

According to the product description on www.getfeetwet.com, the 2820 can receive XM Radio. I think it is the antenna that contains all the "goods" for XM, although the GPS unit probably has the software for the interface.

From the reports I've read on the performance of the wireless FM modulator on the 2730, it may not be much of a loss that Garmin left this feature out of the 2820.

I don't know about routing the audio-out cable to your car stereo. Perhaps there is an auxiliary input jack on the back of the radio unit. If not, I bet you could change to an aftermarket car radio with a jack on the face.

My 9 year old Camry has a cassette player (no CD). I thought it was lame until I got an iPod; I can play the iPod in the car using a low tech cassette adaptor.

R4ND0M_AX3

To get the audio into your truck's radio you can use an fm transmitter to broadcast on an FM station or you can get slightly better and use and fm modulator that goes inline with the antenna.

The 2820 has the option of FM traffic or XM traffic. The new BMW navigator III uses the FM traffic. (free in europe, subscription required in US)

XM music isn't a big deal to me if I have it or not. I will use an ipod for my tunes. I'm looking forward to using the BT to cell interface to replace my HF820. Using the 2820 for this will give me access to my phone book and display caller ID info.

I also abandonded (for now) the idea of a bluetooth connection to my helmet. WCS-1 problems and the idea of keeping a battery charged didn't work for me.

So it will be like this:

[Cell]~~~~~~~~~>[2820]------->[Autocom]------>[Helmet]

To get the audio into your truck's radio you can use an fm transmitter to broadcast on an FM station or you can get slightly better and use and fm modulator that goes inline with the antenna.

Do you source these at Radio Shack?

Archived