IGNORED

Un-eating--where are the gems?

Limecreek

There is nothing better than a long ride in a beautiful part of the US, followed by a stop in some little village along the way to eat, relax and bond with your group ride partners. We all have our favorite little destinations at home we use for an excuse to get out for a ride. We arrive for that fresh slice of pie and French roast coffee, brewed just right. Or how about that steak, pasta dish, or wild game that you can't get enough of.

The routes are posted--thanks Steve! What we need now is a list of the best places in and around the routes.

I have one or two, but I'm sure the locals and the more experienced CO traveler will have a few of their own recommendations.

Let's create a list--I'll start.

1. The Blue Spruce on Main St. in Frisco--the food is outstanding and the service is better. This one is only good for your way to or from the UN since they only serve dinner.

2. The DAM Brewery is located in Dillon; 1/2 miles east of I-70 on Hwy 6. They serve a great lunch and you can take some of their finest brews with you back to Gunnison.

3. The Snake River Saloon - this little bar/restaurant has a lot of character. I was 19 years old the first time I set foot in this little bar way out in the middle of nowhere. Today it is in Keystone, surrounded by Condo's on Hwy 6. The food is still pretty good and the memories, at least for me are even better.

Ok, give up your favorite places to eat in CO, preferably along the routes Steve published

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
2. The DAM Brewery is located in Dillon; 1/2 miles east of I-70 on Hwy 6. They serve a great lunch and you can take some of their finest brews with you back to Gunnison.
This is indeed good news. I know how I'll be coming down on Monday... grin.gif

Poker Alice's in Lake City

Handlebars in Silverton

The Adobe Inn in Ridgeway

The San Juan Mountain Bakery for early Ridgeway riders

There is an old white wooden hotel building off main street a block or so in Ouray that has good Pizza.

Missing Spoon & Casa Del Sol in Buena Vista

Amica's Brew Pub in downtown Salida on 2nd Street

The Underground Italian Restaurant in Glenwood Springs

Mini Tai Café in Poncha Springs

Tommyknockers Brew Pub in Idaho Springs

Hot Tomato Café in Fruita

Joe Cockers place in Crawford closed a few years ago but the gift shop may still be open.

Poker Alice's in Lake City

Handlebars in Silverton

The Adobe Inn in Ridgeway

The San Juan Mountain Bakery for early Ridgeway riders

There is an old white wooden hotel building off main street a block or so in Ouray that has good Pizza.

Missing Spoon & Casa Del Sol in Buena Vista

Amica's Brew Pub in downtown Salida on 2nd Street

The Underground Italian Restaurant in Glenwood Springs

Mini Tai Café in Poncha Springs

Tommyknockers Brew Pub in Idaho Springs

Hot Tomato Café in Fruita

Joe Cockers place in Crawford closed a few years ago but the gift shop may still be open.

Two thumbs up for the Adobe thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

PhillyFlash

If you find yourself in Rico, there is a decent restaurant in the middle of town (about one block long) on the west side of the street. I don't remember what it's called, but you shouldn't have trouble finding it, it's the only one there. Outside seating on the porch. Breakfast was pretty good.

Paul,

I had one of the most delightful dinners at Marios in Gunnison. Pizza, pasta, etc. To tell you the truth, I can't remember the food, with all the laughing and carrying on we were doing during dinner. However, what did make an impression was the staff and service were outstanding. They stayed open late for us (we got there 5 minutes before closing, and there was about 10+ of us), and they had a great attitude and joined in our fun. Thumbs up for Marios! thumbsup.gif

Marios, huh? thumbsup.gif Sounds like a plan.

Looks like a nice walk from the HQ. Maybe a mile?

Anyone for Monday or Tuesday night? Since the Wednesday evening meal is Italian, maybe Monday would work?

I may have another lunch destination that I just read about on Advrider. It is in Gateway on CO 141 and is called the Paradox Grill in the new Gateway Canyons Lodge.

Here is a link to the menu.

There is also a very cool car museum there too.

adobe inn in ridgeway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

garlic mike's in gunny

teocali tamali buritos in crested butte

Laughing Ladies Restaurant in salida

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I may have another lunch destination that I just read about on Advrider. It is in Gateway on CO 141 and is called the Paradox Grill in the new Gateway Canyons Lodge.

Mmmmm...that looks really good! thumbsup.gif

Paul,

I had one of the most delightful dinners at Marios in Gunnison. Pizza, pasta, etc. To tell you the truth, I can't remember the food, with all the laughing and carrying on we were doing during dinner. However, what did make an impression was the staff and service were outstanding. They stayed open late for us (we got there 5 minutes before closing, and there was about 10+ of us), and they had a great attitude and joined in our fun. Thumbs up for Marios! thumbsup.gif

when i lived in gunny i thought marios sucked. garlic mike's was my fav!

food is good but ride 141 for the road. one of the best in the country!

I am gonna eat here as I have never been. Any recomendations?

Kaisr

thumbsup.gif

Oh, believe me--the eating is a secondary consideration. I can't wait to run down that road.

I am gonna eat here as I have never been. Any recomendations?

Kaisr

thumbsup.gif

Two years ago we ate there and then went back in a couple of days for some more.

What's good? Everything. thumbsup.gif

when i lived in gunny i thought marios sucked. garlic mike's was my fav!

That's too bad.

Again, I don't really remember the food, just that they were friendly and accommodatitng. Of course, that was all the way back to Un1, so hopefully it is still the same!

YMMV smirk.gif

Ditto on Garlic Mike's in Gunnison and ditto on Riding 141 for a great ride. It's my favorite ride in the state. If memory serves me, at mile marker 121, there's a little pull-off on the right (as you are south bound). It's just around a right hand bend, about 5 minutes south of the LITTLE town of Gateway. If you park your bike and walk back under the rock overhang, there's a natural spring coming out of the rocks. It's running cold water all the time. You can grab a drink, fill your water bottles, and enjoy the shade for a few minutes. The tour guides sometime stop there and have watermellon breaks for their $5000/week guest riders. No charge for the tip! wink.gif

I just got back from a one week tour of Colorado. Here are a couple of other places to consider:

Norwood (on Hwy 145, in route to Hwy 141): Be sure to stop by Karen's Bakery / Deli in Norwood. Exceptional pastries and coffee. The lunch menu looked great also. Karen is a bit of a character and welcomes motorcycle riders. Highly recommended.

Stoner (hwy 145, about 15 miles north of Dolores): Had a great lunch at the Stoner Cafe. The menu is very ambitious and includes some recipes that have been handled down several generations. Be patient with the little girl that waits tables - she is only 12 years old and her english is limited.

Ridgeway: Adobe Inn - several other have already posted about the Adobe Inn, I really enjoyed my dinner there also.

Have a great trip!

Peter

I just got back from a one week tour of Colorado. Here are a couple of other places to consider:

Norwood (on Hwy 145, in route to Hwy 141): Be sure to stop by Karen's Bakery / Deli in Norwood. Exceptional pastries and coffee. The lunch menu looked great also. Karen is a bit of a character and welcomes motorcycle riders. Highly recommended.

Stoner (hwy 145, about 15 miles north of Dolores): Had a great lunch at the Stoner Cafe. The menu is very ambitious and includes some recipes that have been handled down several generations. Be patient with the little girl that waits tables - she is only 12 years old and her english is limited.

Ridgeway: Adobe Inn - several other have already posted about the Adobe Inn, I really enjoyed my dinner there also.

Have a great trip!

Peter

\

I will have Lunch in Stoner Tuesday now. Thanks for the tip!

Just had dinner at the "Trough" in Gunnison. VERY good food. Steaks and the like.

And lunch was at Chalet Swiss on the west of South Fork, right on US160. Amazing desert. We took pictures, will post em later.

Archived