IGNORED

RT front signal to running light

Huzband

Has anyone converted the front signals to a dual filament bulb so as to function as both running light & turn signal.

If so,I would need details,as I am electrically challenged. tongue.gif

Thanks ya'll

Get the Kisan Signal Minder (www.kisantech.com). It allows you to use the signals as running lights with adjustable brightness levels.

John in VA

Ditto on the SignalMinder. Also includes programmable self-canceling signals that should be OEM standard on every bike. I also like the double-speed signal flash while holding the signal switch down, which is more noticable for lane-changes. Great product. thumbsup.gif

I was not wanting to spend more than 5 bucks on a running light set up so I came up with a way on the 1100. A couple of 1157's some wire and solder....

But I think this is a more gadget oriented group thumbsup.gif

Tony,

Take one of your lamp sockets to an Auto parts store. I found some Chrysler sockets that fit perfectly. Wired them to my parking lamp for the 12V source.

Mick

Take one of your lamp sockets to an Auto parts store. I found some Chrysler sockets that fit perfectly. Wired them to my parking lamp for the 12V source.

That is exactly what I did in the back. I had a kisan, but I did not like my blinker lights on the dash all of the time. It cost about $4, and 30 min. to do, I crimped all of my connections so that it would be more reliable, but well worth the extra light given off for cages to see you. Phil

In addition to your panel indicator lights on all the time, the Kisan also has no way to separate the front and rear circuits. So if your rear signals are amber, they will be on continuously as well. Amber rear running lights are ILLEGAL in most states. While it's good to be seen, I don't need to attract unnecessary attention.

I do like the Kisan however for the programmable auto cancelling time-out and pressing the same switch a second time to cancell features. I never did like hunting for a separate turn signal cancel switch.

Take one of your lamp sockets to an Auto parts store. I found some Chrysler sockets that fit perfectly. Wired them to my parking lamp for the 12V source

It cost about $4, and 30 min. to do, I crimped all of my connections so that it would be more reliable, but well worth the extra light given off for cages to see you.

You've definitely got me interested in this mod. Did you just splice the parking light source into the hot wire of the turn-signal, or does the Chrysler socket have three leads?

Not to hijack this thread, but my 1150RT came with a Kissan and I would like to increase the time the signal lights stay on before being cancelled (NYC traffic concerns).

How can I do this and what other tricks will this switch perform?

Thanks

Francis

I'm with you on the $$$!

I like gadgets,but I'd rather spend my money on RIDIN'.

Thanks for the help. thumbsup.gif

John in VA
I... if your rear signals are amber, they will be on continuously as well. Amber rear running lights are ILLEGAL in most states. While it's good to be seen, I don't need to attract unnecessary attention.

Red bulbs in the rear fixed that problem for me.

This doeesn't specifically answer your question....but might give folks food for thought.

I installed a set of 6 LED's into the reflectors on my saddle bags........one wire went to the running light side of my brake system.....the other wire went to the hot wire on the turn signal side......

Now when I'm just riding...I have running lights......when I use the turn signals, the LEDs blink alternately with the OEM turn signals (when ones on....the others off, etc).

Pat

Wow. How easy that was & cheap. Thanks for the ideas. I just bought a GM dual contact socket from a local parts store and wired it into an additional constant source. $10 parts, 30 minutes time.

696209-runninglight1.JPG.f3036460cfe3b8f18d4d645e672d10fc.JPG

So, does that socket fit into the OEM signal housing or did you have to modify it? This is a rather timely post as I have been sorting out a penny-tech modification to my RS while doing some recent maintenance.

The previous owner carved out the OEM signal housings (front and rear) and installed some type of cheap auto store socket wired up similar to what has been described in this thread to run the duel filament bulbs. He hot-glued these in to stay put.... Needless to say that the bulbs being on all the time produced quite a bit of heat - enough to melt the glue and allow them to move around which in turn melted all of the plastic housings (the white internal piece). I only found this out when one of the bulbs burned out a couple of years ago and everything was fused together. Some time with a heat gun allowed a temporary fix until I finally made time and ordered all new signals / housings to replace these. I have to admit though, they provided some good additional "be seen" lighting. BTW, I was never hassled for the rears (amber) being on all the time.

So, does that socket fit into the OEM signal housing or did you have to modify it?

It fit without modification. You may see in the picture that there were three prongs instead of the two on the BMW socket. I just lined one of the three up to ensure it would catch and for whatever reason the other two locked in as well. It's flush and solidly mounted. I picked it up at Advance Auto and the number is displayed in the picture. Here's another photo of it mounted.

696238-runninglight2.JPG.9d24e218e592e6925a0972891626c5ad.JPG

Have seen this issue posted several times in the past, yet when I ride across a broad swath of the midwest I see amber running lights on vehicles of all types. So, IF it is a law, it is not enforced as far as I can tell. So, I will continue to ride with my Signal Minder doing it's thing and not worry at all about it. The Signal Minder is great IMO.

The Signal Minder is great IMO
I'll probably buy one eventually if just for the signal cancelling feature. Can you program it to NOT use running lights (i.e. just use the signal cancelling feature)? Would that prevent the turnsignal display lights from being perpetually lit in the dash?

I don't know if that is possible. Haven't put my hands on the instructions that came with the unit a couple of yrs ago. You can call Kisan, and ask. Search the web for Kisan to get the phone #. I called them a couple times in the past and they were most helpful. Good luck, ride safely.

I bought a dual element bulb socket. It has 3 leads, 1 Is wired to the license plate light bulb, 1 to the blinker, and the other is ground. Dual element bulbs have 2 different watt ratings, wire the brighter filament to the blinker, if you get it backwards you can tell by the blinker blinking twice as fast, due to the blinker circuit thinking one is burned out. I used vampire taps to get the connections to the new socket. All of the wiring is inside the rear light assy. It's a snap. Phil

Yes the kissan allows you to use it as a auto sig. cancel only, and not have running lights. It is a pretty handy unit. You can set it up so they shut off after 5 sec., 15 sec., or 30 sec. Also if you wire your break light up to it the timer does not count down while the break light is on, so if you are stopped at a light, you don't have to keep activating it. Phil

Archived