IGNORED

Is checking/lubing the shaft splines really needed on a street R bike?

JCtx

Hey gang, I wanted to ask this question here (hope you don't mind:grin:), because the only other technically-oriented BMW forum is AdvRider, where they recommend checking the splines... but most of those guys submerge their bikes in water, so not comparable to my street R1250R IMO (it has never seen water). I just changed the engine oil and final drive fluid for the 2nd time, just shy of 3K miles. Final drive fluid was nasty initially, so flushed it twice. And it still wasn't close to clear this time, so will change it yet again at the  next oil change. But that got me thinking if I need to check the splines or not. I don't even want to remove the boot at the rear if not needed, since it's difficult to reattach, for what I've read. But I'm asking for guidance here, since I rather deal with that now (if needed), rather than causing damage later on. Then there's the issue of the front of the shaft, which cannot  be checked without removal, right? Any input on this issue, or what you've done for your bike, would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, I found conflicting information lately on the amount of FD fluid to use, between 180 and 200ml. I used 180, but let it drain until nothing came out, so curious if 180ml is still the right amount. I used a squeeze bottle, by the way, but almost nothing stayed in there, since I left it vertical for a while. Plan to buy a syringe for next time. Thanks guys.

Yes. Search Boxflyer video on how. It’s not that bad. It’s pretty easy unless they are rusted. 

search here and you will find RT’s nearly new and some several years old that were in real need of it. You will also find some were just fine. 

Mine is a 2014 I bought new. It took me about 45 minutes to do it. Mine were fine but only had a very small amount of grease

• Like 1

The splines on my RT looked like this at the 24 k mile service completed by Boxflyer in Sparta, NC.   I had the 12k service done at a dealer, but they did not need to drop the final drive as the splines are not part of the official service.   The lube the factory uses for sealing the boot was dried up.   We got it all cleaned up and lubed with a good lithium grease. 12k miles later they were fine; no rust.  I still cleaned the boot and lubed it back up.   When that lube dries out, water can work its way in there, unless you never, ever ride in the rain.  I would like to say moisture from the atmosphere in the form of condensation manages to find metal.  :dontknow:

Watch a Boxflyer video or two and you will have no problem checking and lubing them, if needed.  Peace of mind, though.

20210923_115939(1).thumb.jpg.59ffe74399bee1a4b29b1e1f440cf595.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, ELP said:

I found conflicting information lately on the amount of FD fluid to use, between 180 and 200ml

It is 180 ml for years now. Was 200 to begin with but BMW found that it popped some seals due to lack of expansion room so they reduced the amount to 180 and the issues stopped. 

Thank you for all the comments:thumbsup:. Looked all over Youtube for the Boxflyer video on the splines, but couldn't find it. Found a bunch of his videos, including valve clearance, timing, tools, etc., but no splines. Does anybody have a link? I'd like to check it out. Anyway, looked at several others, but none checked the front splines... until I found the one below, which is what I plan to do, to do the job right (not just half of it). It doesn't look that hard. Finally, what lube do you guys recommend? Every video guy used something different. I have Mobil1 red synthetic grease laying around; is it good for that job? And I don't think I'm going to use anything on the boots, other than using Wurth Rubber Care, since I don't want that white freaking mess around there, like when I bought it. And doubt it works for long (if at all), anyway. I never ride in the rain on purpose, so it'd be a rare event. Plus if you lube the splines correctly, water shouuldn't get in there, right? I'd like a lube that prevents that. Thank you in advance for your recommendation. Take care.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ELP said:

Finally, what lube do you guys recommend?

It doesn't matter. On the paralever system the length of the driveshaft does not change during its travel, so you only need the grease for corrosion protection. 

17 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Skip to 15:45 for FD part of the video

Thank you. Weird he didn't check the front of the shaft, even when it dislodged itself. I'm going to do this job just once, to make sure it's not rusted, and that it has enough lube from that point on. Probably when it's time for new tires and the next oil change, as I just changed both the engine oil, and final drive fluid. And will dislodge the shaft pulling from the rear, rather than having to insert something at the front to lever it back.

16 hours ago, Hati said:

It doesn't matter. On the paralever system the length of the driveshaft does not change during its travel, so you only need the grease for corrosion protection. 

This is very good info, and the reason I just plan to do it once. As a side note, if BMW wanted to seal the rubber boot, wouldn't RTV/silicon be better? When that paste hardens, it's useless. Thanks again for the great info.

• Like 1