IGNORED

Still needs some Industrial Design

Dave P

The rear carrier / seat rails on my 1200RT is quite stylish, but is not real functional when trying to strap down stuff. I want to be able to strap down my tent next week as I travel to the MOA National, so over my lunch hour I fabricated these bungee loops. First shot, needs some Industrial Design. No holes drilled!! Little bit of double stick so they don't slide
Appearance is a bit shameful, cause I'm an Industrial Designer!

IMG_3265.jpeg

IMG_3264.jpeg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I like that Idea a lot.  I strap big waterproof bag on mine and it is always a challenge to tie it down....

I like it so much tomorrow I am going to get a sack of these.

NIBCO 1/2 in. CPVC-CTS Tube Strap (5-Pack) C4724HD12 - The Home Depot

nibco-pipe-hangers-c4724hd12-64_600.jpg.1db34355cbe85b55e24c372e7f522ad2.jpg

I don't know if I would trust those in plastic, especially long term. Not sure how UV resistant they are. As they age they will become brittle. Even when new and fresh, with a load on them bouncing, potential to break.

But I do like the idea, tie downs are in short supply on those bikes.

set of ROK Straps (28" & 60") have always worked well for me.  The smaller pair are always in my glove box for the unexpected purchase that won't fit in pannier or top box.  The large pair have been used mostly with larger loads when traveling. The loop ends cannot come loose and the material has never damaged the finish on the rails.  The length is adjustable and the elastic maintains constant tension, unlike a bungee cord which varies in tension with stretch.

image.png.1c5ebd160283944281e8d5325909f882.png

• Plus 1 2
14 hours ago, Dave P said:

The rear carrier / seat rails on my 1200RT is quite stylish, but is not real functional when trying to strap down stuff. I want to be able to strap down my tent next week as I travel to the MOA National, so over my lunch hour I fabricated these bungee loops. First shot, needs some Industrial Design. No holes drilled!! Little bit of double stick so they don't slide
Appearance is a bit shameful, cause I'm an Industrial Designer!

Morning Dave

I use, & have used for years, Helen 2 wheel soft loop straps. They are very durable, extremely strong, don't damage what they are looped around, remove easily, & require no drilling or motorcycle modifications. 

Helen 2 wheel is out of business for a long time now but just Google  "soft loop straps".  The ones I use are 7" long (so when looped around the hand rail they are just long enough to hook your tie down straps to). You probably don't want any longer than 8"-10". (the 7" I use are just perfect length as they can be left on at destination for riding without tent & dry bags being strapped down but short enough to not flop around)

IMG_0002.JPG

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
szurszewski

I’m with DR on this - a soft loop around there will work as well and doesn’t require a zip tie or holes drilled and can easily be moved or adjusted. You can buy them cheaply or make them easily if you can do even a tiny bit of sewing. I couldn’t afford Helen2Wheels stuff back in the day, so I made my own and they are going strong twenty+ years later. Another great thing is they work on about any bike. 

I also have some of those rok straps with the loop ends, but I can’t tell you the last time I used them. They work fine, but I prefer the simple webbing straps with no stretch. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah those plastic things worked ok, except that it's difficult to put the old girl up on the center stand. Cant get a decent grip with my right hand.

Well it was a concept and it worked ok to get me to Doswell but I think I'm gonna make a couple of those nylon strap things before my next rally. 

• Like 1