IGNORED

MotoScan Coding Values - Reference Guide - Kind Of...

KetoSoi

Figured it was time to start documenting some of these coding options. Some are so cryptic, its difficult to know what they really are without trying them. I'll start adding what I find here, and if any of you have played with these, or just know what they do, reply in this thread, and I'll keep this original post updated. I'll keep them divided up by section. Any differences you find, or corrections needed, just let me know and I'll add/update as needed.

NOTE: These are my findings on my bike, through limited testing. These may vary in functionality on your bike. As always, use at your own risk!

NOTE: I wont be able to update these after 24 hours. If further testing reveals more details, THIS initial post may have outdated information.

ZFE Coding

LED_KL54_OUTPUT - Deactivated/Activated

Seems to affect just the tail/brake bulb(s), Activated disables the Lamp Fault/Error warning completely. Useful for LED's. NOTE: If a LED dies completely, a warning may not be shown at all.

LED_KL58R_OUTPUT - Deactivated/Activated

Turn Signal bulbs, Activated disables the Lamp Fault/Error warning completely. Useful for LED's. NOTE: If a LED dies completely, a warning may not be shown at all.

LOW CONSUMPTION LED KL58R - Deactivated/Activated

Turn Signal bulbs, Activated enables LED function, allows the ZFE to accept low power draw LED, Lamp Fault/Error indicator still functional.

REAR BULB SUBSTITUTION 09 - Deactivated/Activated

Observed effect of Activated is that the running/tail light is turned OFF. Bulbs only light up when brake is applied.

DEACTIVATE KL54 - value 02

Suggests another tail/brake light setting. Only available option is "value 02"

DEACTIVATE KL58R - value 02

Suggests another Turn Signal setting. Only available option is "value 02"

• KetoSoi changed the title to MotoScan Coding Values - Reference Guide - Kind Of...
  • chrisolson featured this topic

Looks like BMW uses mostly standard terminal designations, which is pretty helpful.

Functions for KL56A are high-beam bulb, KL56B are low-beams. Havent tested any of those, or if theres anything TO test.

K

pwillikers

ZFE - ESA (All ESA related coding options.  Underlined default values for '11 R12RT, Model: K26, 0440 with ESA II)

ESA_REAR_FBHI_PRESENT
Deactivated/Activated

ESA_WITH_HALL_SENSOR
Deactivated/Activated

ESA_FRONT_FBVO_PRESENT
Deactivated/Activated

ESA_CROSSCOUNTRY_MODE
Deactivated/Activated

ESA_ZSVO_PRESENT
Deactivated/Activated

ESA_ZSHI_PRESENT
Deactivated/Activated

ESA_DSHI_PRESENT
Deactivated/Activated

ESA_INFINITE_RETRIES
Value 02

ESA_POS_ERROR_NOTIFICAT
Deactivated/Activated

ESA_DTC_POS_NOT_REACHED
Deactivated/Activated

ACTIVATE_ESA2_FUNCTIONS
Deactivated/Activated

DEACTIV_ESAMENU_BLINKING
Deactivated/Activated

ESA_LOW
Deactivated/Activated

This relates to the headlight bulbs... Not 100% confirmed.

DOUBLE_POWER_KL56B - Activated/Deactivated

Low Beam Bulbs, if Deactivated suggests these bulbs are not monitored for power state variance relative to normal H7 bulbs, i.e. allowing the use of LED's instead

DOUBLE_POWER_KL56A - Deactivated/Activated
High Beam Bulb, default is deactivated, suggests bulb is not monitored for power state.

• Like 1
  • chrisolson unfeatured this topic
pwillikers

'11 R12RT (Model: K26, 0440 with ESA II)

DOUBLE_POWER...   huh?  What could DOUBLE the POWER possibly mean?

I installed H7 LEDs in my RT and am getting very intermittent CANBUS errors which are difficult to replicate.  Has anyone tried the DOUBLE_POWER...  coding on LEDs?

KetoSoi, I think I already know the answer to this question, but, do you have access to the coding documentation you referenced?  How'd you figure out what DOUBLE_POWER meant?

6 hours ago, pwillikers said:

'11 R12RT (Model: K26, 0440 with ESA II)

DOUBLE_POWER...   huh?  What could DOUBLE the POWER possibly mean?

I installed H7 LEDs in my RT and am getting very intermittent CANBUS errors which are difficult to replicate.  Has anyone tried the DOUBLE_POWER...  coding on LEDs?

KetoSoi, I think I already know the answer to this question, but, do you have access to the coding documentation you referenced?  How'd you figure out what DOUBLE_POWER meant?

Was digging around some European forums, and came across bits and pieces of info with electrical references, but translation can be ambiguous at best. Fortunately for me, a friend is a native German speaker and also an Engineer. The short of it, is that its probably a not-quite-correct translation, the actual wording was probably more along the lines of 'double load' or 'double draw', and references to amperage. Double Power is probably just a loose translation goof, when looked at in proper context. At least thats our educated guess, and it makes sense based on his expert knowledge in electronics.

I have deactivated DOUBLE_POWER_KL56B setting on my '09, and it did nothing, though my current H7's LED's never threw a fault to begin with (other H7 LEDs did, but I have not tested those against this setting). Light output, etc, all the same. I left it deactivated with no ill effect.

K

• 2 months later...

Vehicle: '11 R12RT (Model: K26, 0440 with ESA II)

I was rooting around with MotoScan and discovered some ZFE stored trouble codes related to the seat heaters being faulty which makes sense since both are unplugged - seems unnecessary in the summer heat of TX.  So in the coding section of the ZFE I deactivated both of the following which were activated.  The consequences seem self evident but I'll monitor the error codes to see if they reappear. 

SEAT_HEAT_DRV_PRESENT

Deactivated/Activated (default setting)

Deactivated/Activated (current setting)

SEAT_HEAT_PAS_PRESENT

I also discovered some low beam trouble codes, no doubt related to the LED replacement H7 bulbs I've substituted for the stock halogen bulbs.  I deactivated the following ZFE coding option to see if it'll preclude future low beam trouble codes.  I'll monitor it.   Oddly, I didn't have a companion coding option for the high beam that was documented above (DOUBLE_POWER_KL56A).

DOUBLE_POWER_KL56B

• Like 1

Could the DOUBLE_POWER items refer to the use of higher powered bulbs?  Without these options the ZFE might assume a short circuit and cut power to the bulbs.

54 minutes ago, TestPilot said:

Could the DOUBLE_POWER items refer to the use of higher powered bulbs?  Without these options the ZFE might assume a short circuit and cut power to the bulbs.

Morning Karl

That might be if going from LED to incandescent (at least headlight wise) but the stock BMW headlight wiring is sized pretty close so even if the ZFE could power higher wattage headlight bulbs there would be risk of overheating  the wiring going to the bulbs. 

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
On 6/2/2023 at 5:53 PM, KetoSoi said:

This relates to the headlight bulbs... Not 100% confirmed.

DOUBLE_POWER_KL56B - Activated/Deactivated

Low Beam Bulbs, if Deactivated suggests these bulbs are not monitored for power state variance relative to normal H7 bulbs, i.e. allowing the use of LED's instead

DOUBLE_POWER_KL56A - Deactivated/Activated
High Beam Bulb, default is deactivated, suggests bulb is not monitored for power state.

About a month and maybe one hundred miles ago (low mileage since I've been mostly riding my un-faired bike given the current TX heat wave) I re-coded the ZFE functions to "deactivated" per the above in the hope that it'd inhibit the appearance of trouble codes resulting from replacing the stock halogen H7s with LEDs.

While this appeared successful for a while, ultimately the front_light_out warning icon illuminated, only for a short time, and then went out seemingly self correcting.  With MotoScan I found pertinent trouble codes were present (screen shot below).

From this experience it is safe to conclude that installing H7 LEDs and coding the ZFE per the above (at least the version of LEDs that I installed) will not preclude the occurrence of related trouble codes. However, even with the momentary dashboard warning light and the stored trouble codes, all three H7 LED headlights remained fully functional.

Screenshot_20230902_105343_MotoScan.thumb.jpg.ec7b20ceb74d24db20af00068c062b92.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, pwillikers said:

About a month and maybe one hundred miles ago (low mileage since I've been mostly riding my un-faired bike given the current TX heat wave) I re-coded the ZFE functions to "deactivated" per the above in the hope that it'd inhibit the appearance of trouble codes resulting from replacing the stock halogen H7s with LEDs.

While this appeared successful for a while, ultimately the front_light_out warning icon illuminated, only for a short time, and then went out seemingly self correcting.  With MotoScan I found pertinent trouble codes were present (screen shot below).

From this experience it is safe to conclude that installing H7 LEDs and coding the ZFE per the above (at least the version of LEDs that I installed) will not preclude the occurrence of related trouble codes. However, even with the momentary dashboard warning light and the stored trouble codes, all three H7 LED headlights remained fully functional.

I have noted with certain LED's elsewhere on the bike (most notably the brake/tail light), that if the LED gets too hot, it does cause a resistance spike the ZFE detects, and throws a warning accordingly. Before I got the Motoscan setup, I had some that would last 15-20 minutes (less if ambient outside temp was in the "damn hot" range), then throw an error, though the LED was working fine. The warning would go out when the LED cooled down, and would repeat that pattern accordingly. I would think the same behavior is likely with any of the headlight bulbs.

Do your H7's have cooling fans by any chance? I had to use H7's with fans, as Sacramento valley summers are often sweltering.

K

I've been on an unending quest to improve the lighting on all my bikes.  Here's a link to what I've done on the RT.  The picture below is of the latest version H7 LED that I'm using.  It has a fan integrated into the stem of the bulb where you see the venting.  I like these bulbs a lot.  However, the fan position on these bulbs is likely less effective than on the earlier ones with a large fan hanging off the back.  

The behavior you describe could indeed be what is happening here.   You think Sac is hot?  Come to Austin for a visit.  :-)

IMG_20230223_132316.thumb.jpg.ffba1e86b89ff4d7ea996947885b789d.jpg

Jarno Säilynoja

Hi. Has anyone found any coding options for ABS module if there would be any chance to use some later versions of the ABS module to replace the rubbish ATE servo?

3 hours ago, pwillikers said:

I've been on an unending quest to improve the lighting on all my bikes.  Here's a link to what I've done on the RT.  The picture below is of the latest version H7 LED that I'm using.  It has a fan integrated into the stem of the bulb where you see the venting.  I like these bulbs a lot.  However, the fan position on these bulbs is likely less effective than on the earlier ones with a large fan hanging off the back.  

The behavior you describe could indeed be what is happening here.   You think Sac is hot?  Come to Austin for a visit.  :-)

I tried a set of H7's with the fan in the front, that have a reasonably good streamline over the LED body. No issues during the last heatwave here.

Heh, Sac can be hot as hell, I think Austin just does it more often, lol. Lived in Garland for a while, worked in Houston, had to go down to Austin many times... probably more than I wanted to, lol :)

K