IGNORED

Kickstand Side Stand Pad Enlargement Accessory

gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot

I am looking for Kickstand Pad bolt on enlarger extender for my 2004 R1150RT.

I see a bunch for BMW R 1200 GS 2007-2012 R 1200 ADV 2008-2010 2011 2012 R1200GS

Can anyone tell me the dimension of kickstand pad width and length and describe shape or take picture. 

You have now posted this question in 4 diferrent sections within about 5 minutes. You're probably good for now. Wait for a few responses from members.

gmcjetpilot

Thanks for noticing. I know. They are in different model categories and asked for specific kickstand pad dimensions of each model... different question each time.

I suspect because the  pads are different as they are advertised to a specific model. The generic ones don't look promising. If some are close I can modify it. R1150RT are rare. May be due to age of bike being out of production so long?

PS I am good on threads for now. Do you have info? Cheers.

7 hours ago, gmcjetpilot said:

I am looking for Kickstand Pad bolt on enlarger extender for my 2004 R1150RT.

I see a bunch for BMW R 1200 GS 2007-2012 R 1200 ADV 2008-2010 2011 2012 R1200GS

Can anyone tell me the dimension of kickstand pad width and length and describe shape or take picture. 

Morning gmcjetpilot

The R 1200 GS 2007-2012 R 1200 ADV 2008-2010 2011 2012 R1200GS will not properly fit your 1150RT, you not only have to have the plate FIT the shape of your stand but the plate shape is also very important so it clears all the motorcycle areas with the stand in the up position. 

I typically build larger foot plates for most of my motorcycles, I use a piece of cardboard or 3x5 card with double sided tape to stick a generous sized generic foot print on the bottom of the existing side stand foot.  Then start cutting away areas of interference, then once the contact areas are cut away I then blend the remainder to look decent.

Then I either weld the entire plate onto the side stand bottom foot (if I want the added thickness) or put the plate on the ground then set motorcycle with deployed side stand on that plate, then trace around the the existing side stand foot, then cut the section out (that allows me to weld the plate on at the foot perimeter without raising the side stand height or changing the motorcycle lean on the side stand).    

Just keep in mind that IF you decrease the lean of the motorcycle with a thicker foot plate that can cause future issues on the side of a cambered road, or if a passenger gets on with bike on side stand, or if you have a load in the side & top boxes. Without enough lean a good gust of wind can blow the motorcycle over.  Or if a tire goes flat overnight on a motorcycle with out enough lean it can tip over, or worse yet, tip over into an expensive vehicle next to it. 

19 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

D.R., is there any issue with welding on the bike's frame?  While I've never had or wanted to do so, I've wondered if doing so would affect the ECU functioning.

Morning John

Not really, I suppose a person could have issues if they connected the welder ground at a remote point that could force the ground path to go through the electronics.  

If the weld ground is placed on the part being welded on the no issues. When welding on a side stand you want to ground to the stand itself anyhow so the weld current doesn't go through the pivot bushings as arcing there can cause pitting or damage.

I typically remove the side stand for welding (possibly after tacking the foot plate on the bike)   as I typically glass bead the weld then paint (or powder coat) the part off the motorcycle.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, gmcjetpilot said:

Thanks for noticing. I know. They are in different model categories and asked for specific kickstand pad dimensions of each model... different question each time.

I suspect because the  pads are different as they are advertised to a specific model. The generic ones don't look promising. If some are close I can modify it. R1150RT are rare. May be due to age of bike being out of production so long?

PS I am good on threads for now. Do you have info? Cheers.

I do not have any info for you, and I apologize for jumping you. I found it funny and was unnecessarily sarcastic. Sorry about that.

Something like this, GMC??

image.thumb.png.c9daba7ffabf129987333973747d3c7c.png

image.thumb.png.01351429f5bb204b8a130ba1b6317727.png

image.thumb.png.d7107c89f8d33f200ba227e3f4149f3f.png

image.png.ea4031031cb558e3abc4a7c30242e83f.png

Several years ago I was looking for a foot plate for my '00 K1200RS and saw this one advertided on this forum by one of the members, I forget who, for a '03-'08 K1200 (a totlly different bike).  Thinking it just might fit my '00 K1200 or I could make it fit, I bought it.  It was nowhere even close to fitting so I tossed it in a box of spare parts.  I don't throw away much.

The K13 that I picked up back in December came with a similar, very nice foot pad and i liked it except that it fit a little loosely on the sidestand.  I checked the screws and they were tight and it was captured securely.  I thought.  

On the SECFF run to Dublin (GA) in Feb I noticed it was gone.  I was really upset with myself for not paying closer attention or lock-titeing the screws or somethin'.   After several days of grieving I remembered this plate, realized that the '03-'08 K12 bikes are very similar and share many parts with the K13, and went looking for it.  Low and behold I went right to it.  I was so pleased with myself I almost got over loosing the other pad.

Had to do a little custom fitting with a Dremel and a bur bit to make a very snug fit, then I liberally lock-tighted everything.  There is no identifying info anywhere on it.  I think this member made some of these hisself on a CNC.  It is VERY well made, even tapered outboard to inboard end (last pic) to compensate for the reduced lean angle that Dirtrider discussed.  Maybe the member will recognize it.

Now, this is a long sad story with a happy ending that doesn't help you in the least and I'm very sorry for that but the pictures are purdy.  When you find yours remember the lock-tite.  And use the good stuff.

1 hour ago, Lowndes said:

Something like this, GMC??

image.thumb.png.c9daba7ffabf129987333973747d3c7c.png

image.thumb.png.01351429f5bb204b8a130ba1b6317727.png

image.png.ea4031031cb558e3abc4a7c30242e83f.png

Several years ago I was looking for a foot plate for my '00 K1200RS and saw this one advertided on this forum by one of the members, I forget who, for a '03-'08 K1200 (a totlly different bike).  Thinking it just might fit my '00 K1200 or I could make it fit, I bought it.  It was nowhere even close to fitting so I tossed it in a box of spare parts.  I don't throw away much.

The K13 that I picked up back in December came with a similar, very nice foot pad and i liked it except that it fit a little loosely on the sidestand.  I checked the screws and they were tight and it was captured securely.  I thought.  

On the SECFF run to Dublin (GA) in Feb I noticed it was gone.  I was really upset with myself for not paying closer attention or lock-titeing the screws or somethin'.   After several days of grieving I remembered this plate, realized that the '03-'08 K12 bikes are very similar and share many parts with the K13, and went looking for it.  Low and behold I went right to it.  I was so pleased with myself I almost got over loosing the other pad.

Had to do a little custom fitting with a Dremel and a bur bit to make a very snug fit, then I liberally lock-tighted everything.  There is no identifying info anywhere on it.  I think this member made some of these hisself on a CNC.  It is VERY well made, even tapered outboard to inboard end (last pic) to compensate for the reduced lean angle that Dirtrider discussed.  Maybe the member will recognize it.

Morning Lowndes

That looks a lot like a Cmc foot plate (used to be sold on E-Bay), I don't think they have one for the 1150RT.  

• Like 1

You are correctabout eBay, Dirtrider!!

I just googled it, found these on eBay.  OR, Gmc could use the old indian trick with a smushed beer can, but sometimes they are hard to find at motorcycle hangouts.

image.thumb.png.830251112eda011bb609200f7ed3f567.png

image.thumb.png.26262dcfcc9bc094f8e50bf5daa158e8.png

gmcjetpilot
11 hours ago, Lowndes said:

You are correctabout eBay, Dirtrider!!

I just googled it, found these on eBay.  OR, Gmc could use the old indian trick with a smushed beer can, but sometimes they are hard to find at motorcycle hangouts.

image.thumb.png.830251112eda011bb609200f7ed3f567.png

image.thumb.png.26262dcfcc9bc094f8e50bf5daa158e8.png

Let me rephrase. Hard to find compaired to other models. I saw the one you Ref. $40? No. $75 also no. I'll make my own or forgo it. On Ali Express they are $5 to $10 for pretty custom CNC anodized stand pad extenders for newer Beemers. So that is what I meant, hard to find relative, and find at low price. Comprende amigo.

9 hours ago, gmcjetpilot said:

$40? No. $75 also no. I'll make my own or forgo it. On Ali Express they are $5 to $10 for pretty custom CNC anodized stand pad extenders for newer Beemers. So that is what I meant, hard to find relative, and find at low price. Comprende amigo.

Hombre, tienes un cocodrilo en el bolsillo??  Bienvenido a BMW!!

• Haha 1
  • Thinking 1
gmcjetpilot
2 hours ago, Lowndes said:

Hombre, tienes un cocodrilo en el bolsillo??  Bienvenido a BMW!!

... oh

Yes I "do I have a crocodile in (my) pocket"   Well yes a big one in my pocket (sí, tengo un crockadile muy grande en mi bolsillo)

Oh.... err, yeah, you mean being cheap? Ha ha.  I am not cheap but I also don't waste my money on things I might not need. You have to comprende the value, cost and how bad I need or want this farkle.  It is not a MUST have, just a nice to have (may be considering lean angle on stand). It is a trade off. I have a welder, friend with CNC and 3D printer. I might make my own, not out of cheapness but for the fun of it.

If it's not fun or needed, I'm not doing it or spending money on regardless of how much it cost. If needed and fun, I will spend the dinero like a drunk sailor on shore leave who just got paid.....

I just spent over $1000 on my Beemer recently, for new fuel pump, new brake pads, new brake lines, flush brakes (and the $40 funnel to do it), all fluid and filters, new wiring harness covers, alternator belt, recent tires, on and on and on. I gladly spent that because it was needed. I did all the work with assistance from this forum (thank you). The bike is running better then ever at 46K miles (I know low miles, but going to correct that this summer and tick over 50K is the plan kickstand pad or no kickstand pad.)

I would rather take $40 and buy two tanks or +400 miles worth of gas. Thank you, love BMW Sport Touring group and the kind knowledgeable help, is priceless. Your comment however not really helpful but....  Cheers. 

PS 

Right now I have the plastic kickstand pad you throw on the ground. I put a lanyard on it with clip. So once seated on bike, I can real it in without having to bend down, then throw it in the glove box. Works OK. A fancy kickstand doo-dad may be better. However as mentioned If bike is loaded or on uneven ground, it will sit more upright on side-stand with a stand pad, making it more tip over prone on left side. Solo, no cargo, even solid ground, it leans over more than needed but is safe and works. So the plastic thing might be best for me? Most of the time I am on hard ground. But for camping (which I do) and rallies parking on grass/dirt it can be an issue. I have enlisted a local rock once or twice.  I almost always haul my bike up on the center stand if practical,  but then you need might some kind of board to support that on soft ground. A semi permanently mounted pad not too thick might be best solution, less hassle then throwing out kickstand pad. It is fun to think of minutia, but at some point you have to stop messing with your bike and just go ride.  Me and my crocodile say Adios amigo. Ha ha....

gmcjetpilot
21 hours ago, Lowndes said:

OK, GMC, you've been warned twice!!

Warned twice about what, by who? Please be specific by who with quote, and why you are admonishing me.

You are triggered over something. I got that. Sorry you are upset, but your comment is too short and non specific to understand.

I acknowledge I posted in different models w/ similar question, my bad. Won't do that again.

Dirt rider answered my question (again, thank you, owe you lots of beers).

So I am good. Hope you are OK. Cheers

20 minutes ago, gmcjetpilot said:

Warned twice about what, by who? Please be specific by who with quote, and why you are admonishing me.

You are triggered over something. I got that. Sorry you are upset, but your comment is too short and non specific to understand.

I acknowledge I posted in different models w/ similar question, my bad. Won't do that again.

Dirt rider answered my question (again, thank you, owe you lots of beers).

So I am good. Hope you are OK. Cheers

I think he meant warned twice about using Loctite on the screws, not warned about breaking rules or anything untoward.

It was meant in good humor, referring to previous posts by him and one other, near as I can read it.

• Like 1

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I was simply referring to the previous post by Skywagon about locktite on the footplate screws after my similar experience posted at 9:13.  Two very similar experiences might indicate a potential problem you could easily avoid.  NO serious admonishments intended, just a facetious reminder to use the loctite so that you don't loose a foot plate, too.

My apologies.

image.thumb.png.973b921df7e972892afadec06138c812.png

image.thumb.png.6b48b96aac59cfeb61764d4b898f48cc.png

Before I knew there was a thing called a side stand enlarger, I used a flattened out beer can. My  1150 RT side stand foot was small and would fall over easily in soft ground. 

• Like 1

Beer can is still a go-to. I have a couple plastic kickstand plates that were given out as promotions over the years from various rallies. I keep one in each bike. 

Those kickstands don't just sink and fall over in soft sand, I've seen them go over when sinking into hot asphalt. A lot of popular biker joints keep plates available for riders, a parking lot can get pretty torn up by a bunch of kickstands over a summer.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

I've seen them go over when sinking into hot asphalt

Me Too.... Are you using something on your HD's?  I think HD's have the best side stand ever made.  I often wonder why others don't follow.

10 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Me Too.... Are you using something on your HD's?  I think HD's have the best side stand ever made.  I often wonder why others don't follow.

I normally don't use a pad on the HD, but there are times when it is necessary, or at least prudent. I agree about the HD Jiffy Stand, as it is called, it has a nice footprint that works fine in most situations.