IGNORED

Rotate controls

Dave P

2007 1200RT,  it seems that both my brake and clutch hand controls (levers) are angled up too far, like they should rotate a little. Brake lever should rotate clockwise, clutch counter clockwise. Is this possible? Is this advisable? It does look like the banjos might interfere with the aluminum casting so there is that can of worms. It's like my wrists have to angle up to pull the levers. Weird set up. Not really ergonomicly correct in my opinion. Thanks, Dave

1 hour ago, Dave P said:

2007 1200RT,  it seems that both my brake and clutch hand controls (levers) are angled up too far, like they should rotate a little. Brake lever should rotate clockwise, clutch counter clockwise. Is this possible? Is this advisable? It does look like the banjos might interfere with the aluminum casting so there is that can of worms. It's like my wrists have to angle up to pull the levers. Weird set up. Not really ergonomicly correct in my opinion. Thanks, Dave

Afternoon Dave

If the current controls are lined up with the factory punch mark then you can rotate slightly but not a lot & still clear everything. 

DR where would I look for the factory punch mark? Is that outer grip area splined? It only looks like I'd rotate it a degree or 2. D

8 hours ago, Dave P said:

DR where would I look for the factory punch mark? Is that outer grip area splined? It only looks like I'd rotate it a degree or 2. D

Morning Dave

It should be on the bar at or around the gap in the clamp. 

BOuMk2L.jpg

53 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Dave

It should be on the bar at or around the gap in the clamp. 

BOuMk2L.jpg

I have not had my controls apart, so that is an interesting sketch.

I assume the rotation is limited by the grip heater wire running through the bar ?

So I guess I remove the switch / lever assembly to examine that locater pin mark thing. If I did want to rotate those controls a couple of degrees, is that done by loosening that large (torx?) fastener on the (center line of bike) end of the casting? Dave

52 minutes ago, Dave P said:

So I guess I remove the switch / lever assembly to examine that locater pin mark thing. If I did want to rotate those controls a couple of degrees, is that done by loosening that large (torx?) fastener on the (center line of bike) end of the casting? Dave

Morning Dave

No, you won't be able to rotate it there without GREAT difficulty. 

The actual clamp is at each side master cylinder (pinch bolt) 

The picture is of the brake side master cylinder (covers removed), the clutch side is similar but the pinch bolts are slightly different.

You will have to remove the plastic cover & possibly loosen the switch pod to access the pinch bolt. 

I might not be available this weekend as I am traveling to places that probably won't have phone or  internet access so if I don't reply I'm not ignoring you. 

Just be careful to not break or bind anything (don't rotate it very far), also make sure the the master cylinder reservoirs are not rotated too far that would allow fluid to spill out when the cover is removed.

8GYYL95.jpg

Thanks DR, of course this little "easy adjustment" aint gonna be so easy! 

Im riding the bike down to VA in a few weeks for the MOA National, not gonna mess with a functional bike right now! If it was something easy I might do it. 

But after the dust settles a bit Im planning a few other repairs/ improvements that will take it off the road for a while. Have to switch to the 1100RT. Maybe I'll go in and see what I can break. D