IGNORED

How does one remove the wind delectors?

Randyjaco

In my quest for a cooler summer ride, I would like to remove the clear wind deflectors underneath the windshield. There seem to be 2 screws that are inaccessible. Does anyone know how to access those wind deflectors?

The mystery piece of fairing is in the photo 😠PXL_20230524_154348276.thumb.jpg.0d56db65d4fdf728334e0e54282f79db.jpg

• Randyjaco changed the title to How does one remove the wind delectors?
Geekmaster

Randyjaco, the wind deflector is fused as one piece with the fairing panel.  Here's a page that shows how to remove the entire panel, but I don't think that's your objective, correct?

FairingPanelRemoval.png.7a8961c3355a903210e6dc114b0d0896.png

Thanks. So are you saying that the white fairing panel and the wind deflector cannot be separated?

From the illustration I looked at the deflectors appeared to fastened to the fairing panel were fastened by 3 screws.:27:

Geekmaster

That is correct. Please see the attached photo of my disassembled fairing bits when I installed Cyclops LEDs.

I don’t remember seeing any screws and they’re not visible in the photo. However, you could remove the whole panel to check, I guess.

IMG_2900.thumb.jpeg.a1e4708f36ca84542f0b47cb21abb045.jpeg

Bummer! That is a lot of work for questionable result. I sure hope that you are wrong ;)

Well I'm guessing they are removable, insofar as they are listed in the Max BMW fiche (for my 2020 RT) as a separate item  - ~$208 each. 

However, as I have had the panel off before (when I put in Cyclops LEDs) I can't give you any perspective on best way to get at them and tend to think taking that section of the bodywork off and then getting at them (as @Geekmaster suggested) is the best play.

Good luck! 

Larry

Winddeflectors.jpg.ccf1d8b74ed5f8e6754ab60a23b7bc8d.jpg

Partial part list for this page of the fiche:

WinddeflectorsBOM.jpg.bd0a576f3e861f1bf6bd19ffd99200d0.jpg

Wayne Johnson

If your that desperate just remove the windscreen all together. Not the best looking but functional! I have an Aero screen that i replace with the stock one if it gets that hot

• Like 1

I like the concept. I wish that someone made something similar for the RT. It would also be nice to get some cooler air on my legs

• 2 weeks later...
Aussie Mark
On 5/25/2023 at 12:45 PM, Randyjaco said:

Thanks. So are you saying that the white fairing panel and the wind deflector cannot be separated?

From the illustration I looked at the deflectors appeared to fastened to the fairing panel were fastened by 3 screws.:27:

They can be separated. I removed mine to clean between the panels when I was detailing the bike.

• 2 weeks later...

The panel has to be removed to get to the deflector fasteners….  Here is a shot of the fastener locations(red circle).  
I was installing the Cyclops Adventure Sports LED headlight and removed the entire assembly. I wasn’t about to perform the gymnastics needed to do it without.

also there is a push pin that attaches the panel.  The repair manual isn’t very clear, as, to me in the manual it looks like a smaller size one.  It’s not!  More of a small mushroom size one(blue arrow). I used my door panel removal tools to remove that…

D54D07A0-0392-4BE0-86D6-44C96CD8C218.jpeg