IGNORED

Hotel Discount web sites?

I'm not sure if this ? belongs in this forum, but i am planning a ride.

I'm planning on going on a trip in which I don't make plans.

Which  of the many internet hotel discount sites do you like? Travelocity, Hotwire, Kayak, Priceline, Trivago, etc.

At the end of the day, I want to pull into town and with the smartphone find a decent room, at a discounted price, for that night. Amenities aren't important'

All I need is a place where I feel comfortable both physically and mentally.

Thanks

Rob Nowell

I have used Hotels.com for years.  Like you, my priorities include safety and security, along with cleanliness.  With the app, I believe you can get "last minute deals."  I sort by price and by customer rating.  Ten percent of your rate goes into a "bank," which you can redeem after ten nights spent.  That's my two cents.

• Plus 1 1

We've used different "discount" sites to locate potential hotels, but then also check directly with the hotel web site. We can usually find similar rates and booking directly with the hotel's web site can reduce communication problems if the reservation is wrong, missed, or needs to be cancelled.  

I've found that part of being mentally comfortable during the day is knowing where I'll be spending the night.  Even on an "unplanned" trip, I'll book a room online no later than noon, if not the previous night.   Gotten burned more than once, rolling into town late, looking for a non-existent room in the rain because some big event has everything booked up.  Better to change my direction midday than waste hours riding toward a town with no vacancies.

• Like 2
Rob Nowell
3 hours ago, lkraus said:

part of being mentally comfortable during the day is knowing where I'll be spending the night

Amen to that!

• Like 1
szurszewski

I used to have really good results from cheaptickets.com but I haven't used it in a couple of years and see it's not an expedia branded product. Back in 2017 it regularly found me prices lower than any other site. An important factor for me was that it was really accurate as to hotel pet policies including prices for extra deposits or per night/per dog charges. One time in Miami it found me a rate for a La Quinta lower than the discounted rate for a Motel 6 across the street (at the time I think the discount price for that 6 was around $75 and cheaptickets booked us at LQ for $68; the desk clerk even asked, "where did you book this? I've never seen a room so low here." - I think the cheapest I could have booked through LQ's site at the time was well over $100 for the same room). 

I use Trivago, which is an aggregator of travel sites. I would be careful if it sends you to Booking.com though. I don't know what the deal is, but almost every time I have been referred to Booking, there has been a problem.

Rob Nowell

My own experience has been that getting a room directly from the hotel with no advance notice results in no discount whatsoever.  Hotels.com app, however, still gets me the price break.

szurszewski
5 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

My own experience has been that getting a room directly from the hotel with no advance notice results in no discount whatsoever.  Hotels.com app, however, still gets me the price break.

This has been my experience as well - the person at the desk, especially if it's a big chain and you don't happen to get a manager, often can't/won't offer a discount. Back in the day we used to call direct and I'd always ask if they had any discounts for underpaid teachers, and if they accepted adorable well behaved house dogs. Usually got at least the gov't rate and sometimes better or a good deal on an upgraded room, and almost never took more than two tries to get our dogs in for no charge. Now that every place uses online booking and has actual official pet policies and fees, I find the online sites like cheaptickets or even just google will find the best deals. 

Rob Nowell
11 hours ago, szurszewski said:

any discounts for underpaid teachers

:18:

You and me, Pal!

szurszewski
30 minutes ago, Rob Nowell said:

:18:

You and me, Pal!

For years that question is really what I asked and it really worked almost one hundred percent of the time. "Hi - I'm wondering if you have any rooms open tonight and if you happen to offer any discounts for underpaid teachers." Almost always a chuckle and usually a, sure, or at least a, well, I suppose that means you work for the government so,... Every once in a while, I'd get a, oh - my mom/grandmother/aunt/dad is a teacher - you guys work so hard! ...and then we'd end up in a suite for what would have been a good price on the basic room. 

MichiganBob

I've been using hotels.com for years and very satisfied with the service. I remember once pulling into a room I booked and the place felt unsafe and not clean. I called them, and even though it was well past the refund time, their 100% satisfaction policy kicked in. They found me another room and cancelled the payment I previously made.

The other thing I like is that all their places have photos. I'm old school as are my riding buddies and we will only stay in outside entry first floor places. We like our bikes right outside the door for ease of packing and unpacking, checking out the bike to make sure all is looking good, many places have rags if you ask for them to do a little clean up, and then the best part are the chairs outside at night next to the bikes with cigars and bourbon. 

• Like 1
Rob Nowell
6 hours ago, szurszewski said:

a teacher

I'm two years retired, after 35 years teaching.  Discounts for Military, as well as First Responders, are commonplace (as well they should be), but I fail to understand why Educators are not accorded the same (alright, I actually mean 'ANY') respect as the other vital members of our society.  But, in America, that's just the way it is...