IGNORED

R100RS oil change.

kruuuzn

I want to perform an oil change on a 1981 R100RS. The bike was left to me by a friend and I don’t have any paperwork or manuals.
I’m assuming the bike has an oil cooler because there’s a couple of line fittings on the plate on the right side of the motor near the front. Is this correct? Is it a complicated job to change the filter?

And where’s the best place to buy a filter kit?

Thanks.

Michaelr11

If your bike has an oil cooler - you should see one in  the front of the bike.  The correct oil filter kit is a Mahle OX36D.  The "D" is the kit, exactly the same as the BMW kit, with a bag of crush washers, and gaskets. The 36 is the "long" filter, which the bikes with oil coolers use.

First time, you could call a BMW dealer - if there's one nearby - and order one from them.

Thanks Micheal.

Yup, I see a oil cooler in the front of the fairing. I found a supplier in NC that had the filter kits in stock.

Another question: what's the proper way to check the oil level? Do you screw the dip stick all the way in or just let the threads rest on the engine case?

Michaelr11

Are you in NC?

Wipe off the dipstick, then insert it until the cap rests at the top of the case. Don’t screw it in.  Bike on the center stand or held up.

Now that you got one, if you check Rock Auto dot com, you can find the Mahle oil filter kit, as well as the Mahle air filter.

No, I’m in northern Michigan.

I just happened to find boxer2valve.com while searching for the filter kit. They had the exact Mahle part number that you gave me and I confirmed my specific bike on their website.