IGNORED

Preparation before the trip

Motodisiac

Motodisiac

Hi!

My 04 R1150RT has almost 40K miles. Since I got it preowned and it was dealer trade in there is no maintanence history. Dealer swears that the bike has always been serviced by him (from day 1) but it's a salesman's promise, I haven't checked his claims with service department. The bike runs flawless, since I got it I replaced oil and got new battery. Should I look into anything specific other than basic stuff? I'm planning to change oil/go over the bike for fluids/loose bolts. How do I know when it's time to replace alternator belt? Valve adjustment? Anything else? This will be 3K miles trip two up so I don't need surprises. Cheers!

peterbulgar

We don't know the bike, but the service department does. If, as the salesman says, the bike was serviced at the dealer, then they will have records - ask them.

With 40k on an '04 model, the PO didn't let the bike sit around; that's good, probably a lot of easy highway miles. Oil changes and valve adjustments are on a 6k service schedule, with major services every 12k - check the owner's manual for the items that are serviced at the various intervals. If the 36k service was performed as scheduled, you should be good to go with your oil change and valve adjust - you'll be just a little bit over for the 42k service when you return. BMW now recommends replacing the alternator belt at 36k - one thing to check for when you get a peek at the service records. If it hasn't been done, I'd replace it. BMW also recommends a brake system flush every two years, so you should look for that as well.

Sounds like you have a great bike. From reading this list it seems that the various driveline problems usually show up in the 20-30k range if they are going to show up at all. Have a good trip.

Peter '73 R75/5, '04 R1150RA

Motodisiac

Thanks for reply.

I just had a chat with service manager about my bike. He told me he knows the bike in person, the owner was very anal and did all services. Traded it in for a Goldwing! Anyways, the last service that was done at 30K, so it looks like I'm due for a big one. Valve adjustment, Best etc. I will be doing everything myself, will try to search this forum for instructions. I will also try to do brake flush while I'm there.

SAAB93driver

Did you check the books that come with the bike or are the missing. Any owner who is anal about the maintance will keep records or it in the provided books and certainly he would not discard (or keep) the books when trading in.

besides all else really make sure the alt belt is ok. if no record of it being changed go for it. it's an inexpensive deal. don't need that ruining your trip.

Archived