IGNORED

Best Perforated Textile Riding Gear

AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser

Hi all,

Getting ready for my circumnavigation tour of California and I'm seriously thinking of foregoing the 'Stich in favor of a perforated jacket and pants, especially since 2/3rds of the ride will be in some pretty hot locales.

So, what perforated pants work for you? As an aside, I wear a 34" inseam trouser and need a riding pant that is long enough as well.

Your thoughts are much appreciated... clap.gif

Jerry_75_Guy

Sadly, my gear experience range isn't wide enough to hazard a guess as to the 'best', but I do have a couple of data points for you:

1.First Gear mesh jacket and pants; my wife and I have the jacket, and she also has the pants. She really likes the outfit, I liked the jacket well enough, but felt the need for a fabric with larger mesh pores for better airflow, and I didn't like the foam armor ours came with, all of which lead me to:

2. Olympia mesh pants and jacket. Mine are at least one model year removed from what they're currently selling, so it might perform differently from the new stuff, however I am very happy with mine. The mesh is very open and porous, and feels like you only have tee shirt and shorts on. The construction is good to high quality, and it comes with CE rated armor in the back/spine, tailbone, shoulders, elbows and knees, but did have foam at the hips (they may have changed that with the new model), and has plenty of pockets. I chose the sliver as that seems to be a bit cooler than the dark colors.

I recommend the Olympia based on my limited experience, YMMV wink.gif

Steve: Do you have a BMW dealer nearby? That would be your easiest solution as far as summer riding gear (if it is in your budget). The BMW summer rain pants are around $180, A &S cycles advertises them as made of 500 denier Dupont Cordura which stands up to abrasion a lot better than some of the other stuff. My local dealer is also clearancing out BMW airflow jackets for $300 down from $400- your local dealer might be doing the same. The Kevlar airmesh from cycleport/motoport is top-class stuff from what I have read up on it- the problem is that you may have to order it and wait 9-12 weeks until you get it. Visit their web page and read up on their stuff and make notes of questions you want answered- then call and ask for Wayne- he answered all my questions last week. As far as the other clothes guys go, you have Tourmaster, Cortech, Olympia, Alpinestars, etc.

First Gear Leather Mesh Tex thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif. You get the extra padding of the leather outside the inside armour (if you know what I mean cool.gif!) so you get a double back pad, double shoulder, elbow and arm padding.

One note...buy yourself 4 pieces of their CE CoreComp armor to replace the stock foam armour though. You then end up with one tough jacket with good airflow. I was wearing this when I had my get-off and it bore up VERY well and I didn't feel a darn thing..amazing thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif!

Yankee_Dog

I would suggest that you try on before you buy and not go mail order. During my search I found that the different brands fit me quite differently. In many cases the armor would not stay in position. I ended up with Joe Rocket. It looks quite Squidly, but the armor was the best and most importantly it fit the best.

Yankee Dog

I would suggest that you try on before you buy and not go mail order. During my search I found that the different brands fit me quite differently. In many cases the armor would not stay in position. I ended up with Joe Rocket. It looks quite Squidly, but the armor was the best and most importantly it fit the best.

Yankee Dog

My Joe Rocket jacket is great and came in "fat guy size" that fits me wink.gif

Living in Phoenix, this jacket has served me well and I have to say it has held up well so far considering my BMW jacket was 300% more expensive.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

BMW venting machine. I got it from my dealer for 100.00 off msrp. (jacket only purchased)

Motoport kevlar mesh jacket is fantastic also, but only if you can get the sizing right. And it takes a long time to get it.

Went on my first ride Saturday 6/10/06 with my new Kevlar Air Mesh thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif 97 degrees here in Fla. but not one drop of sweat on my tee shirt from the 150 mile ride.

jUST sWITCHIN' from FirstGear to the new Fieldsheer High Temp Jacket & 4 Season Pant both in silver...hot stuff - eh?? for around $280.00 - perfect..!

Hey Steve wave.gif

I just noticed this post and I must add, no matter what ventilated jacket you choose (mines a Cortech) I must advise that a cool vest is a must worn over a microfiber vented T-Shirt (any brand will do, I have several and it doesn't matter which)thumbsup.gif I just used the vest for the first time coming back to L.A. from our Wrightwood house bncry.gif in triple digit temps, and it's "da Bomb" I was actually chilley in any temps below 90 degrees. I bought mine from Fernando at Browns. They range from 40 bucks to 100 bucks and the 40 gig unit is fine. clap.gif

c-ya,

I have a pair of Olympia pants and jacket. I don't recall the name although I believe they are the Men's Air Glide 1 (here's a linke to this years model, the Air Glide 2)but picked them up last year at BMW Denver. I am an overheated individual on a cool day so venting was of prime importance.

The pants and jacket without the liners are quiet cool when hot out and take to wetting well (I've seen 90degree+ days in them) and with the liners can be are quiet warm. They look good too (or so I tell myself).

I give them two big thumbs up. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

LandonBlueRT
So, what perforated pants work for you?

Your thoughts are much appreciated... clap.gif

First Gear jacket and pants.

Another vote for Motoport Kevlar Mesh. Saved my bacon once already on a 60mph low side. I had it rebuilt and still going strong. thumbsup.gif

It's basically a trade off as we all know..Protection vs. ventilation.....I have a 2 year old Olympia Air Glide, I think they call it.....Good venting in the arms and let's air up to the arm pits....I'm very happy with it and have ridden in the high 80's or so.... It has Euopean approved armor which keeps me content..I still haven't been in hot enough weather to use a wetted vest or t-shirt but have found that those things work very well when it get really hot....Others I ride with want more air and use the First Gear Mesh, more air through them than the Olympia but not as much protection.........So take your pick.Lots of good jackets out there..

Phil.......Redbrick....

Vanson's are hot above 90 degrees, but I have fallen twice in mine, with my significant other aboard in hers and they've worked well. Bones broke, but the Vansons worked perfectly.

Jim

NewtomeR850R

just bought the Joe Rocket Reactor 2.0 and it is awesome, very cool for summer riding and also has a waterproof/windproof liner that makes the jacket a bit warmer. Good protection and really comfortable.

I really like my Israeli-made "Cool" model jacket and pants from Brosh. I think various American retailers stock them -- I've ordered directly from Brosh and get my stuff in about 10 days.

Look here, I love my riding stuff. thumbsup.gifOlympia Moto Sports

I agree! I have had my Olimpia gear for over a year now and love it!

Riding in nor cal gets pretty hot in the summer and the mesh jacket works great! and keeps me cool in 100+ deg. thumbsup.gif

They're not that easy to find on the rack but I have a Triumph Raptor vented jacket and pants set and find them to be near perfect. Excellent quality construction, conservatively styled, and real CE hard armor at the elbows, shoulders, and knee/shin area (instead of just padding -- lack of hard armor nixed the otherwise excellent Firstgear stuff for me.) And the jacket and pants are only $139 each which is an incredible bargain considering the quality of both materials and construction.

They're not that easy to find on the rack but I have a Triumph Raptor vented jacket and pants set and find them to be near perfect.

While looking for a vented jacket for my GF we ran across a raptor in here size. I almost insisted she buy it, Great jacket. If the store had on in my size it would have got one for myself. Was told there no longer being made. Quality stands out over all the other in my opinion.

Matt

While looking for a vented jacket for my GF we ran across a raptor in here size. I almost insisted she buy it, Great jacket. If the store had on in my size it would have got one for myself. Was told there no longer being made. Quality stands out over all the other in my opinion.
I don't believe the salesman was correct in saying that they have been discontinued (perhaps because they didn't have one in your size? grin.gif) Anyway, you can order any and all sizes of the Raptor vented jacket and/or pants from California BMW/Triumph's Online Store. Free shipping and returns allowed up to 30 days.

I don't believe the salesman was correct in saying that they have been discontinued (perhaps because they didn't have one in your size? grin.gif) Anyway, you can order any and all sizes of the Raptor vented jacket and/or pants from California BMW/Triumph's Online Store. Free shipping and returns allowed up to 30 days.

Damn got my heart going. Checked the web site. Raptor pants no Raptor jacket. Called the parts department and they don’t have any in stock and don’t show it on their database.

Maybe it’s discontinued after all. Triumph web site no longer show the jacket as well.

There is a Triumph Integra Jacket that might be its replacement that looks close to the Raptor.

Thanks for trying

Matt

Checked the web site. Raptor pants no Raptor jacket.
Hmmm... damned if you aren't right about that, sorry.

I was also looking at the Integra jacket since it seems to be the non-vented (I think) version of the Raptor and if the quality and styling is as good I would like to get it as a colder-weather partner to the Raptor.

But still that's a shame if the Raptor vented is no longer available. I'm sure that if you called around to a few large Triumph dealers you'd probably find one though. Maybe ask for a discount because they're discontinued..! grin.gif

Archived