IGNORED

Throttle Lock Recommendations?

Viper6

I have a 2004 GS1150... any experiences/recommendations on throttle locks? I have a big trip up to Martha's Vineyard end of month and I need some right wrist relief on the journey. Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure how the grip is on your bike compared to my RT, but here is my suggestion.

O-Ring - Get one at your local hardware store. After many miles using one I never needed the more expensive options. Roll the ring up snug to lock, roll off to unlock, or simply manually override it by rolling the throttle up or down against it. Easy, cheap and completely safe. Keep a spare in the tank bag if you accidently roll it off the grip while flying along the roadway.

I love my Wrist Rest too. I found it worked real well for me because it never got in the way. Keep in mind that you might have a larger hand than me and "in the way" is affected by how much of your grip you occupy with a gloved hand. You can keep the Rest on the left or right side of your grip. I used mine a lot, so it was familiar and safe for me to use.

Paul Mihalka

Just to avoid confusion: "WristRest" is the official name of the knurled threaded ring made and marketed by Bob's BMW that you mount to the end of the handlebar to put some friction on the throttle. For the spoonlike device you put on the throttle to ease the grip one of the brand names is "Crampbuster" and it may go under other names too.

Sorry about calling it the wrong thing. I have a Throttle Rocker. The older style that clamps vs the newer style that seems to wrap with a strap or cable tie like attachment.

I used a Throttle Boss for many thousands of miles on the Harley's. It's the rubber paddle that wraps around the grip and allows you to rest your palm on it to maintain throttle position. For me that was a life (wrist) saver. I suspect the other types are equally good too. My RT has cruise control though, so mine's for sale. grin.gif

Sorry about calling it the wrong thing. I have a Throttle Rocker. The older style that clamps vs the newer style that seems to wrap with a strap or cable tie like attachment.

I use both a throttlerocker boss,(old style.. the new one sucks) and a Throttlemeister throttle lock. Throttlerocker no longer makes the clip-on type throttle boss, but Crampbuster makes one similar. The Throttlemeister is a little dicey to engage, IMHO. To do it again, I think I'd go with the Kaoko, which has a toothed wheel that is much easier to use.

Lineareagle

I have the wrist rest from Bob's and a paddle, the velcro type on my 1150RT. just finished a 5,500 mile trip with them. The "Wrist rest" worked great in combo with the paddle. I would hold the throttle position with the paddle under the heal of my thumb and roll the wheel to tighten up.

CAUTION: Always release the lock on entering a town, twisties or exiting the highway. As well the lock will tend to get tighter and tighter as you ride so every once in awhile you need to back it off a 1/4 turn, otherwise it can be really hard to back down the throttle on turns etc.

If you use one you really need to be aware that it is on else you can get nasty surprises.

I have carpal tunnel in my throttle hand, had surgery on the other, so it is a must for 9 hour rides and I use it all the time so I get very used to its presence.

Unlike other friction locks the Bob's unit cannot really be set for slight friction as it will either get tighter or looser as you add and reduce speed so I use it just as a lock on long stretches.

I've had good luck with the Throttlemeister. I'd just add the caution that it's best to use it only on open stretches of highway--you can manually roll off the throttle, but it's best to not put yourself in the situation where you have to unexpectedly counter the friction of the mechanism.

I also have an old-fashioned Throttle Rocker--I like it, but some people are concerned that you can inadvertantly apply throttle when trying to brake hard. I've never had that experience, and have used one for years. As the result of a patent infringement suit, the Throttle Rocker now is affixed in a single position with a velcro strap. The competitor--Crampbuster, which won the patent suit--retains the friction method of attachment that the Throttle Rocker used to have, but it doesn't look to me as though it's as ergonomically friendly a design.

My recommendation would be to try a Throttle Rocker or Crampbuster first and see if they do the trick for you. They're only about ten bucks, as opposed to more than $100 for devices like the Throttlemeister.

Do a search on the web for Throttle Boss. I have one on each bike and they are great. I like this type better than the rocker and others because this type is softer material. I have a bar end twist lock on the R11 and never use it. The Boss allows easier speed adjustment, almost done without thought. Usual disclaimer on the product applies.

Making it easy on your wrists is an important consideration. I'm not sure what all is available for your bike, but I have Throttlemeisters on my RT 1150, MZ Sport Cup and MZ Traveler and would not part with them. Last time I ordered some (May of 2006), they came within a week. They are easy to install. In very cold weather, they may not hold, due to cold-related shrinkage of the metal. If you have heated grips, turn them on when this happens and all is well again.

I tried the rocker lever you add to the grip and it is okay but not a substitute. I do like it for sporty work because a little wrist pressure gets you rocking as you exit a turn! If that is what you want.

Archived