fast idle minimum temp?

wolcott

Is there a certain cutoff temperature where you do NOT use the fast idle lever when starting a cold engine? Obviously, I used it this winter and spring, but have not really used it when above say 75 degrees. 1)Should I engage the fast idle to the first position even when it is 80 or 90 degrees out?

2) When do you hold the fast idle lever all the way over -(to the spring-loaded position) and then let it come back to the first dentent? Thanks

Joe Frickin' Friday
1)Should I engage the fast idle to the first position even when it is 80 or 90 degrees out?

If it won't start or stay lit without it, then yes.

2) When do you hold the fast idle lever all the way over -(to the spring-loaded position) and then let it come back to the first dentent? Thanks

I guess I never bother holding it way way open. I just set it to the first detent, then hit the starter button and hold the throttle open a smidge manually (farther than the FI lever would hold it) until it lights.

Basically there's no hard and fast rule, at least not one written in the owner's manual. Basically, if the engine needs it, use it; as soon the engine can idle without it, dial it back. thumbsup.gif

Is there a certain cutoff temperature where you do NOT use the fast idle lever when starting a cold engine? Obviously, I used it this winter and spring, but have not really used it when above say 75 degrees. 1)Should I engage the fast idle to the first position even when it is 80 or 90 degrees out?

2) When do you hold the fast idle lever all the way over -(to the spring-loaded position) and then let it come back to the first detent? Thanks

Well I don't know if this helps you are not. But here in Wyoming, I have had my bike parked out side at work for 15 hours with temps down into the upper 20s/low 30s. When I start my bike I just go to engage the fast idle to the first position is all. I have never yet hold the fast idle lever all the way over!

Used to ride my 03 in the winter "Up Nort'" and here's what worked every time...

Start bike by using fast idle lever and hold lever full up until the engine rpm's rise to around 2200 (this takes a few seconds). When idle stabilizes around 2200 drop to second detent and you will find the bike will idle nicely there.

Ride until 2 bars on the RID.... drop fast idle lever to normal position and Bob's yer Uncle thumbsup.gif

Funny enough...I find myself doing the same start procedure down here in the

Hotlands. Using the above procedure, I find the bike seems to idle much better/smoother on the second detent for some reason.

initial start with idle at first notch. drive 300 ft down driveway then switch it off. never have problem. first stop sign is 3/4 mile later. usually at 1-2 bars and idling smoothly.

Charles Elms

Never used the fast idle in 5 years. Since I don't start the bike unless I'm on it and ready to go, I just give it a little extra right hand twist to keep it running smoothly. Since it's not a choke, I really don't know why it's there. I let it warm up about 10 seconds before I pull out down the drive. Make sure it doesn't burp exiting the drive and then my the time I've gone to the end of the block, it idles fine with no extra throttle.

Archived